Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BCS #135115 01/08/09 05:07 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline OP
OP Offline
C
OU's 8th National Title?

January 8th.
2008 season.
Oklahoma has 8 letters.
I put $8 of gas in my car on the way to work.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: BCS [Re: Chief Renegade] #135161 01/09/09 03:47 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade
OU's 8th National Title?

January 8th.
2008 season.
Oklahoma has 8 letters.
I put $8 of gas in my car on the way to work.

Will the Sooners be ranked #8?

Richard D. Salyer
Re: BCS [Re: RichardDSalyer] #135162 01/09/09 04:11 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Only a Poke would jump at that one.

Eric Johnson

Re: BCS [Re: RichardDSalyer] #135163 01/09/09 04:13 AM
C
OP Offline
C

Eric Johnson

Re: BCS [Re: Chief Renegade] #135166 01/09/09 09:39 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R

Associated Press Top 25
(01/09/2009) at 02:45 EST
1 Florida
2 Utah
3 Southern California
4 Texas
5 Oklahoma,...,

Richard D. Salyer
Re: BCS [Re: Chief Renegade] #135167 01/09/09 09:41 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R

(01/09/2009) at 02:45 EST
Coaches Poll
1 Florida
2 Southern California
3 Texas
4 Utah
5 Oklahoma, ...,

Richard D. Salyer
Re: BCS [Re: Chief Renegade] #135169 01/09/09 10:15 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
The loss was OU’s third consecutive defeat in the BCS title game, and it’s OU’s fifth consecutive loss in a BCS game.

To be clear, I only cheered for Florida, despite my picking Oklahoma in my bowl pool and nearly always cheering for Big 12 teams, after your display of unfounded and unbridled arrogance.

Despite my GREAT respect for Coach Stoops, my disdain for the arrogant braggadocio displayed by the typical Sooner fan, as exemplified by you, swayed my decision.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: BCS [Re: Chief Renegade] #135170 01/09/09 10:30 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Oklahoma Sooners bite the dust when it counts -- AGAIN!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: BCS [Re: RichardDSalyer] #135173 01/09/09 01:05 PM
Mike Furches Offline
While you may think the Sooners and/or their fans exhibit "arrogant braggadocio" I would challenge they are far less than the Gators, Yellow Jackets, Game Cocks, Tigers and several others in the Southeast where football is God. I don't like Florida, knowing personally a former coach named Spurrier gave me a very sour taste about that school and their fans. I will say, I like Tebow, a lot, any young man who uses the game to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ all of the time like he did is someone I can find some respect for, but it will take a long time to convert the "arrogant braggadocio" that most Florida fans have.

Re: BCS [Re: Mike Furches] #135174 01/09/09 01:17 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
About two weeks ago I heard a KCMO local sports talk radio host go on and on about how the SEC fans were wrong about considering the SEC to be the best football conference in the country and that the real best football conference in the country was the Big 12 South. Now I admit that the Big 12 South has definitely been very dominant against the Big 12 North in the last several years probably since the Big 8 evolved into the Big 12. Unfortunately for the Big 12, the Big 12 South teams almost lost all their bowl games this year. Even the one victory Texas over Ohio State was a very close game and really was determined by the spot of the ball on a 4th down conversion before Texas scored its go ahead game winning touchdown at the end of the game. I did think the Texas player barely made the 1st down. All in all though a very disappointing outcome for the Big 12 South and I believe there is a humble sports talk show host in KC today.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: BCS [Re: Husker Fan] #135178 01/09/09 02:44 PM
Mike Furches Offline
I can go with that Vince, I will be the first to say though, that when it comes to one game, in a national Championship setting, I am not convinced Utah shouldn't be the National Champions and couldn't have beaten either Florida or Oklahoma for that matter. Their win against Alabama was the most impressive bowl game victory I saw this year.

Re: BCS [Re: RichardDSalyer] #135187 01/09/09 03:31 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: RichardDSalyer
The loss was OU’s third consecutive defeat in the BCS title game, and it’s OU’s fifth consecutive loss in a BCS game.

To be clear, I only cheered for Florida, despite my picking Oklahoma in my bowl pool and nearly always cheering for Big 12 teams, after your display of unfounded and unbridled arrogance.

Despite my GREAT respect for Coach Stoops, my disdain for the arrogant braggadocio displayed by the typical Sooner fan, as exemplified by you, swayed my decision.

I did that on purpose so that you would not root for us. Thank you.

Winning % since 1936:

1. Oklahoma
2. Ohio State
3. Penn State
4. Michigan
5. Notre Dame
6. Tennessee
7. Alabama
8. Texas
9. Nebraska
10. USC

Eric Johnson

Re: BCS [Re: Chief Renegade] #135192 01/09/09 03:51 PM
Mike Furches Offline
A serious question, I will be honest, I like the schools I have either gone to, Tabor, ETSU, and limited KU, and from which I grew up, Tennessee, and have lived at and had season tickets, Furman and Tulsa. I am pretty big on being a fan of Tulsa, Furman in all sports, East Tennessee State in Basketball, and Tennessee in Football (I know a horrible year for me) but the question I have is how does one become a fan of say OU or OSU when living in Kansas. I know that the concepts aren't always consistant, I have never for example been a huge fan of WSU in any sport, will yell for them but not a huge fan, and I like both KU and KSU as well as OU and OSU although Stoops did help move me to more support of OU. Anyway, just curious.

Re: BCS [Re: Mike Furches] #135197 01/09/09 04:15 PM
C
OP Offline
C
The University of Oklahoma is my Alma Mater. I grew up in Oklahoma City and graduated from OU in 1987. I have no second favorite team. I was a fan when we won National Championships and stayed a fan when we went 3-8. I was Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead.

Eric Johnson

Re: BCS [Re: Chief Renegade] #135200 01/09/09 04:40 PM
Mike Furches Offline
Explains that, Richard? or others?

Re: BCS [Re: Chief Renegade] #135201 01/09/09 04:56 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Balderdash! Typical Sooner poor sport.

Back in the Bud Wilkinson coached days, much like the Coach Stoops Oklahoma teams, the Sooners respected their opponents as well as their opponents fans. The Sooner fans of the Barry Switzer coached teams (the era Eric is referring to) hac NO respect for the opposition and displayed a brash arrogance unknown in modern sports era.

At one time I was Kansas Jayhawk season ticket holder, (during the Nolan Cromwell, Lavern Smith, etc., era), and after the Conrnhuskers kicked the dog snot out of the Jayhawks in Lawrence, the always large Big Red traveling contingent was almost apologetic after the game for the margin of victory. The Sooner fans were completely the opposite.

I have attended the Texas - Oklahoma football game on more than one occasion in Dallas, and while the Longhorn fans are difficult, the Sooner fans were always worse.

A team generally takes on the personality of their respective coach, and in the dominate Husker days there was always a sense of humility from Coaches Devaney and Osborne and his teams. There was never the same humility from the heavy booze swiggling and womanizing Switzer or his teams. As an example one only has to remember the Orange Bowl when Arkansas, after Coach Holtz suspended several starters for misbehavior in Miami, kicked the then second ranked Sooners and their opportunity for a National Championship.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: BCS [Re: RichardDSalyer] #135202 01/09/09 05:06 PM
Mike Furches Offline
Richard I tend to agree with the concept of the team taking on the personality of their coach. It is one reason I personally like Oklahoma now, of course I cheer for OSU as well. I never really liked Switzer for various reasonsn. I know that when I lived in Oklahoma, I also found the rivalry between OU and OSU very similar to what I experienced in South Carolina between Carolina and Clemson. In Tennessee it was kind of strange, it wasn't against an instate school it was against Alabama and Florida, and as of more recent Florida,

Re: BCS [Re: Mike Furches] #135203 01/09/09 05:15 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Mike Furches
I can go with that Vince, I will be the first to say though, that when it comes to one game, in a national Championship setting, I am not convinced Utah shouldn't be the National Champions and couldn't have beaten either Florida or Oklahoma for that matter. Their win against Alabama was the most impressive bowl game victory I saw this year.

I agree that Utah might have won a national championship this year if there actually had been a tournament series like we have in other NCAA sports. But other teams like Southern California might also have won it. Florida could also have won it. Jacob told me last night as we were watching that this is a great game with great teams but it just did not have the national championship game feel for him like say the NCAA wrestling championships do. That is why I believe there should be a NCAA D-1 football championship series like other NCAA team sports and NCAA football divisions have.

Vince Nowak

Re: BCS [Re: Mike Furches] #135204 01/09/09 05:27 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Mike Furches
A serious question, I will be honest, I like the schools I have either gone to, Tabor, ETSU, and limited KU, and from which I grew up, Tennessee, and have lived at and had season tickets, Furman and Tulsa. I am pretty big on being a fan of Tulsa, Furman in all sports, East Tennessee State in Basketball, and Tennessee in Football (I know a horrible year for me) but the question I have is how does one become a fan of say OU or OSU when living in Kansas. I know that the concepts aren't always consistant, I have never for example been a huge fan of WSU in any sport, will yell for them but not a huge fan, and I like both KU and KSU as well as OU and OSU although Stoops did help move me to more support of OU. Anyway, just curious.

I was born in Omaha and I still have a lot of relatives living in Omaha and in Nebraska. My dad raised me on Nebraska football from the time that Bob Devaney started coaching there in the mid-sixties. I have enjoyed some great seasons and championships with them as a fan over the last 45 years or so. They will always be my No. 1 football team. I played one year of freshman football at KSU in 1969 (actually got to play against Johnny Rodgers that year). I went to KU my last 2.5 years of college. For those reasons I also like both KSU and KU. After those 3 teams I have interest in all the old Big 8 schools doing well especially since all five of the Big 12 wrestling teams come from the old Big 8.

Vince Nowak

Re: BCS [Re: RichardDSalyer] #135215 01/09/09 07:08 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: RichardDSalyer
Balderdash! Typical Sooner poor sport.

Back in the Bud Wilkinson coached days, much like the Coach Stoops Oklahoma teams, the Sooners respected their opponents as well as their opponents fans. The Sooner fans of the Barry Switzer coached teams (the era Eric is referring to) hac NO respect for the opposition and displayed a brash arrogance unknown in modern sports era.

At one time I was Kansas Jayhawk season ticket holder, (during the Nolan Cromwell, Lavern Smith, etc., era), and after the Conrnhuskers kicked the dog snot out of the Jayhawks in Lawrence, the always large Big Red traveling contingent was almost apologetic after the game for the margin of victory. The Sooner fans were completely the opposite.

I have attended the Texas - Oklahoma football game on more than one occasion in Dallas, and while the Longhorn fans are difficult, the Sooner fans were always worse.

A team generally takes on the personality of their respective coach, and in the dominate Husker days there was always a sense of humility from Coaches Devaney and Osborne and his teams. There was never the same humility from the heavy booze swiggling and womanizing Switzer or his teams. As an example one only has to remember the Orange Bowl when Arkansas, after Coach Holtz suspended several starters for misbehaviour in Miami, kicked the then second ranked Sooners and their opportunity for a National Championship.

This is good. Richard has an understandable viewpoint having been on the backside of a 16-80-7 record against OU, (Or 27-67-6 for KU). In Bud's days, Oklahoma fans had the same passion and swagger as King II's era. It was built primarily by their 47 game winning streak, interupted by ND and followed by a 31 game winning streak. Plenty of heavy booze poured in those days also. (Most of which was not 3.2 beer). You speak in high regard for Texas, eeking out a "difficult" label. Well Rich, I have attended over 20 OU/TX games and can assure you that Commerce street and the West End has recorded twice as many arrests for Longhorns than Sooners.

Switzer won 12 Big 8 Titles in 16 years. He was single and he dated women. His Dad was a bootlegger. He has been candid about more details than many who have led secret lives. Many of his actions cannot be defended, but he is certainly not characterized by that Arkansas game.

Stick to your cut-and-paste reputation. You are in over your head on this subject.

P.S. I might be unbridled but I am certainly not unfounded!

P.S.S. To clarify, Rich and I are just having a robust conversation. We aren't upset and it's all in good fun!

Last edited by Chief Renegade; 01/09/09 07:18 PM.

Eric Johnson

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  usawks1 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 125 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox, Coach Lueders, forty
12296 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,911
Posts250,304
Members12,296
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)