Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: BCS [Re: Chief Renegade] #135439 01/12/09 04:57 PM
Shane Koranda Offline
You know, there is a way to have a true national champion, from a "tournament" & still be able to keep all those sponsors (and the only thing everyone wants - $MONEY$)!!!

You simpley take the first 3-4 weeks out of the season (used to be the "cup-cake"/poll-building games, but are now actually somewhat competitive) and make the conferences start out their season with conference opponents. When you get down the the end, you take each conference Champion (and yes, make them all play to a conference championship) and how many other teams you'd like, from the remaining "BCS-style" ranked teams.

Let's say you select the top 32 teams in the country for the tournemamnet:

Week/Round 1: 16 games played a various locations, with the same Bowl sponsors from this past season (which there was a total of 44 Bowl games played: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3444571)

Week/Round 2: 16 survisors play 8 games at various locations with other bowl sponsors.

Week/Round 3: 8 teams play the four game at the "BCS" site of Rose, Sugar, Fiesta & Orange.

Week/Round 4: Final 4 play the two semi-final games with additional sponsors.

Week/Round 5: TRUE National Championship, where the previous season and PLAYOFF decided the National Champion, not some frickin' computer(s).

To summerize: My proposed Playoff format, would take 5 weeks, there would be a total of 31 games played.

Note: I was born in Nebraska, still a fan and not just posting this cause I'm reacting to anything, but my distain for the corrupt BSBCS.

Shane Koranda
Towanda, Ks.
Re: BCS [Re: Shane Koranda] #135448 01/12/09 05:26 PM
Mike Furches Offline
I did something similar a few years ago, you can even have some of the minor teams, play in bowls, but not in the playoff. I think my formula had like 16 teams, very similar to the old NCAA D II format. I agree, add pay per view options in there if need be and it is a financial windfall. I think the best complaint was the travel involved, but that is why have the pay per view option and I still believe bottom line, a ton of people are excited. Imagine in round one for example, The Liberty Bowl would have had the #1 team playing against the #16 team; you can't convince me that they wouldn't have as many people going to see that as they had in their bowl as it was.

I hear people say, well at least the victors of each bowl leaves feeling good, I say those are typically people who have never competed in sport. Every athlete I know has a competitive side that wants to either know who is the best, or have the chance to prove they are the best. You don't get that with the current bowl system.

Now not to get political here, but I for one am glad that at least Obama is bringing some discussion to this by his strong support of a playoff system.

Note on my system, you basically add one week to the season, or take out an off week, and the season runs the same length of time as it does now, and you get to play some of those "poweder-puff" games that provide experience for some, hope for others, and financial help for some of those smaller schools that need the revenue.

Using a 16 team format, it would have looked something like this using the BCS Rankings at the end of the season:

Oklahoma / BYU -
Penn State / Boise State -
Utah / TCU -
Alabama / Oklahoma State -

Texas / Georgia Tech -
Texas Tech / Ohio State -
USC / Cincinnati -
Florida / Georgia -

Re: BCS [Re: Mike Furches] #135524 01/13/09 05:06 PM
J
jayhawk pride Offline
J
Earlier this year i started building a formula to replace the BCS. The BCS is a bogus formula, there is still to much media pull. My formula works similar to the NCAA Basketball RPI rankings, and punishes a team that plays a weak schedule. I stopped when my school work picked up again, but with 2 weeks to go in the season, and this is what I had:
1 Utah
2 Texas
3 Alabama
4 Boise State
5 Oklahoma
6 Florida
7 Texas Tech
8 Ball State
9 University of Southern California
10 Penn State
If i ever get the formula finished i'll make sure to post it, and the results.

Re: BCS [Re: Husker Fan] #135532 01/13/09 05:56 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
BCS
Breakfast Championship Series (BCS) 2009

Coaches hospitality room ranking 2009

Bonner Springs got a 10 rating on the BCS for Chili at breakfast.
The JOCO kids classic had pulled pork for breakfast and recieved a 10. I caught a little flack for not attending Paola's tournament and rating the cattle feed lot. So I am requesting that someone have Tuff send some samples. Tuff can send it UPS or FEDEX - so please someone from PAOLA get this message to Tuff he can private message and I'll get him an address right away so he can be sure I'll will get this on the rating. I did not read all the stuff above. If I need to start another thread I will.

Re: BCS [Re: jayhawk pride] #135666 01/14/09 09:25 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Originally Posted By: jayhawk pride
Earlier this year i started building a formula to replace the BCS. The BCS is a bogus formula, there is still to much media pull. My formula works similar to the NCAA Basketball RPI rankings, and punishes a team that plays a weak schedule. I stopped when my school work picked up again, but with 2 weeks to go in the season, and this is what I had:
1 Utah
2 Texas
3 Alabama
4 Boise State
5 Oklahoma
6 Florida
7 Texas Tech
8 Ball State
9 University of Southern California
10 Penn State
If i ever get the formula finished i'll make sure to post it, and the results.

I see this reflected 2 weeks before the end of the season, but what would it look like at the end of the season? I would think it would have to be quite different. Was the Ball State rating before they lost their conference title game to Buffalo?

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: BCS [Re: smokeycabin] #135667 01/14/09 09:28 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Sean:

You pull one over on me yesteday but boy do I have one on you today. Holy smokes, BCS stands for Bowl Championship Series and it is about college footbal not breakfasts laugh

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  usawks1 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox, Coach Lueders, forty
12296 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,911
Posts250,304
Members12,296
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)