Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
This pisses me off..... #137417 01/30/09 01:17 PM
24/7 Offline OP
OP Offline
The two lead stories on Yahoo this morning. The back to back headlines are what make it so offensive.....

Economy shrinks 3.8 percent; biggest drop in almost 27 years

Exxon Mobil breaks its own record with $45.2 billion profit

That just pisses me off!!

24/7

Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: 24/7] #137420 01/30/09 01:31 PM
Shane Koranda Offline
Aren't you gald we've got "Change" a comin' though???

Shane Koranda
Towanda, Ks.
Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: 24/7] #137427 01/30/09 02:31 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Originally Posted By: 24/7
The two lead stories on Yahoo this morning. The back to back headlines are what make it so offensive.....

Economy shrinks 3.8 percent; biggest drop in almost 27 years

Exxon Mobil breaks its own record with $45.2 billion profit

That just pisses me off!!

24/7

Another report was that came out yesterday was that Wall Street bonuses of $18.4 billion were paid out in 2008 in a year that Congress passed a $700 billion plan to help the financial sector. It was also a year that the Dow went down -33.8%, the S&P 500 down -38.5% and NASDAQ -40.5%.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: Husker Fan] #137504 01/30/09 09:35 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
OK. I agree. It sucks and we are all rightly pissed about it. Who and how do we FIX IT???!!!!????

I guess the old, "Rome wasn't built in a day" comes to mind . . .

Sure seems overwhelming and is depressing.

For a very good read on the subject, check out "Enough." by Van Guard founder, John Bogle.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: Dean Welsh] #137508 01/30/09 10:39 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
A tad more about the book - "Contents" equals the chapter titles.

And, no -- I don't work for Bogle or Vanguard! ;-)

"Enough : true measures of money, business, and life" / John C. Bogle.

Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley & Sons, c2009.

ISBN:
9780470398517 (cloth)
0470398515 (cloth)
Description:
276 p. ; 19 cm.
Contents:
Too much cost, not enough value -- Too much speculation, not enough investment -- Too much complexity, not enough simplicity -- Too much counting, not enough trust -- Too much business conduct, not enough professional conduct -- Too much salesmanship, not enough stewardship -- Too much management, not enough leadership -- Too much focus on things, not enough focus on commitment -- Too much emphasis on 21st century values, not enough emphasis on 18th century values -- Too much "success", not enough character -- What's enough for me? For you? For America? -- Afterword : A personal note about my career.

Summary:
The Father of Index Investing and founder of Vanguard shares his own journey, filled with famous characters and telling anecdotes, that aims to teach investors the importance of doing the right thing, how to be a strong leader in today's world, and what it means to have "enough."

Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: Dean Welsh] #137518 01/31/09 01:02 AM
Ricky Bobby Offline
Originally Posted By: dwelsh

I guess the old, "Rome wasn't built in a day" comes to mind . . .

When in Rome...

[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]
Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: Ricky Bobby] #137522 01/31/09 01:42 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Good point RB. Except I don't know much about Rome. I guess they were the world's USA for a LONG TIME (ie. THE SOLE SUPER, DUPER POWER) -- then got to FULL off themselves and got wiped out by some barbarians (Vikings, I think...) Something like that.

Since history repeats itself, the writing on the wall don't look good for us.

Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: Ricky Bobby] #137548 01/31/09 11:15 AM
coach craig Offline
Quote:
When in Rome...

Yes...go on.

Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: Dean Welsh] #137551 01/31/09 12:50 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
A tad more about the book - "Contents" equals the chapter titles.

And, no -- I don't work for Bogle or Vanguard! ;-)

"Enough : true measures of money, business, and life" / John C. Bogle.

Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley & Sons, c2009.

ISBN:
9780470398517 (cloth)
0470398515 (cloth)
Description:
276 p. ; 19 cm.
Contents:
Too much cost, not enough value -- Too much speculation, not enough investment -- Too much complexity, not enough simplicity -- Too much counting, not enough trust -- Too much business conduct, not enough professional conduct -- Too much salesmanship, not enough stewardship -- Too much management, not enough leadership -- Too much focus on things, not enough focus on commitment -- Too much emphasis on 21st century values, not enough emphasis on 18th century values -- Too much "success", not enough character -- What's enough for me? For you? For America? -- Afterword : A personal note about my career.

Summary:
The Father of Index Investing and founder of Vanguard shares his own journey, filled with famous characters and telling anecdotes, that aims to teach investors the importance of doing the right thing, how to be a strong leader in today's world, and what it means to have "enough."

It sounds like a very good book. I will buy and read it. Thank you for the recommendation.

Vince Nowak

Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: Husker Fan] #137557 01/31/09 07:15 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Bogle is a very good writer. He quotes lots of other big brain dudes from the ancient days to now. It is quite obvious that he is very well-read himself.

Please let me know your thoughts after you have read his book (he has written several).

Dean Welsh

Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: Dean Welsh] #137558 01/31/09 07:56 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
BOB

President O - should ask/appoint Buffet and Bogle and do what THEY say and in a decade (or less) the current mess we are in would be corrected and STAY CORRECTED.

Not much different from wrestling - master some basic PRINCIPLES and we will do fine in both money and wrestling.

Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: Dean Welsh] #137608 02/01/09 12:30 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Bogle is a very good writer. He quotes lots of other big brain dudes from the ancient days to now. It is quite obvious that he is very well-read himself.

Please let me know your thoughts after you have read his book (he has written several).

Dean Welsh

I will let you know what I thought of the book once I read it.

Vince Nowak

Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: Husker Fan] #137610 02/01/09 12:47 PM
Mike Furches Offline
Know one of the things that get me, price of oil is down, price of gas goes up. Insurance salesman, used car dude, attorney (with exception of Barry Disney and a few others). Above all, I have lost respect for the greedy oil companies or whoever it is that keeps pricing the gas prices up.

Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: Husker Fan] #137612 02/01/09 01:13 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Husker Fan

Dean Welsh

I will let you know what I thought of the book once I read it.

Thanks Vince. Looking forward to it.

Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: Mike Furches] #137617 02/01/09 02:05 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Mike Furches
Know one of the things that get me, price of oil is down, price of gas goes up. Insurance salesman, used car dude, attorney (with exception of Barry Disney and a few others). Above all, I have lost respect for the greedy oil companies or whoever it is that keeps pricing the gas prices up.

Mike, I certainly agree with you that we cannot afford to have greed determining higher prices of oil and gasoline. I think the $4 gallon price of gasoline was a major factor in the economic slowdown and recession that we are currently experincing. Of course the subprime mortgage mess and the effects it has had on the housing industry was also crucial in this current economic slowdown.

Gasoline looks pretty reasonable right now compared to those $4 a gallon prices which were extremely difficult for lower to middle income families and also hit businesses hard. The only good thing I see from those high prices is that it has had an impact in changing our consumption habits. I think you see a lot more carpooling, riding buses to work and more efficient vehicles on the road now even with the lower gasoline prices today.

Vince Nowak

Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: Dean Welsh] #137724 02/02/09 10:45 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
OSU athletic director says sports dept. in red

OSU athletic director says sports dept. in red

Updated: February 1, 2009, 10:37 PM EST

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - The scarlet and gray will soon be in the red.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith confirmed Sunday that for the first time in his four-year tenure, the Buckeyes' athletic department is expected to lose money during the fiscal year ending June 30.

Smith said he didn't know how much the department would fall short of projections, but revenues are down between $300,000 and $500,000 this year for the winning men's basketball team.

"Maybe a couple hundred thousand," he said of the possible total losses. "But it's hard to tell."

To make up the difference, the athletic department will raise ticket prices $1 per game in football and men's basketball across the board, except for students, Smith said. He said the school had already planned to raise ticket prices, but the economic downturn made it even more important to do so.

The university's board of trustees is expected to approve the increases when it meets later this week.

The school is also paring down costs by allowing only essential personnel to travel to road games and cutting other personal expenses for employees, he said.

Ohio State, which has an annual athletic budget of more than $110 million, typically banks the excess earned from ticket sales, concessions, radio and TV contracts and other revenue sources in its athletic reserve fund.

"We're behind a little bit on revenue in basketball - single-game tickets, concessions, revenue," Smith said. "Once the economy started to shift, somewhere in October, we started to say, 'Hey, this is going to hit us, and it's hit us in this sport in particular.' So we're not hitting the single-game goals that we hoped to achieve."

Smith, who took over as athletic director in 2005, said Ohio State would not cut any of its 36 sports, which is the highest number of teams at any school in the nation.

After the $1 increase, a football ticket would cost $63 next fall. Men's basketball tickets will go up to $27 per game for the 2009-10 season. Tickets will go up another dollar starting in the fall of 2010, Smith said.

The vast majority of Ohio State's athletic revenue comes from football. Smith said the Buckeyes must play a minimum of seven home games to support all of the school's sports teams.

In 2010 and 2012, the Buckeyes will play eight home games each season.

The athletic depaartment will also ask the trustees to approve an increase in golf membership dues at the university's Scarlet and Gray Courses.

As for cutting sports teams, "we're not even thinking about that," Smith said. "I don't anticipate that during my tenure. There's so many other things that we would cut before we'd get to cutting sports."

Richard D. Salyer
Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: RichardDSalyer] #137726 02/02/09 12:06 PM
coach craig Offline
How about coaches and upper management salary??? I bet it would not be that noticeable if they did that across the board. I had the fact that they talk about how hard it is for everyone, but then raise ticket prices. And to top it off....it's Ohio State.

Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: coach craig] #137728 02/02/09 12:56 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Hopefully this will be a temporary financial setback for Ohio State University. With their 36 athletic teams they have been the frontrunner in offering collegiate athletic opportunities for young men and women. It is good to hear that their athletic director is committed to not dropping programs.

It does not surprise me though that their athletic teams revenue is dropping during this economic downturn. Sports expenditures are a luxury cost for families so they have to be reduced first during tough economic conditions. It gives you concern for schools which were not as financially solid as Ohio State going into this recession and maybe not as committed to keeping their athletic programs running.

Vince Nowak

Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: Husker Fan] #137968 02/04/09 01:05 AM
B
blaise Offline
B
Wall Street futures is what drives the price of gas up at the pumps..

Re: This pisses me off..... [Re: blaise] #138032 02/04/09 12:03 PM
coach craig Offline
As an addition to this thread......

What do you all think of Obama regulating executive pay?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  usawks1 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 109 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,925
Posts250,344
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)