Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #144719 03/24/09 10:57 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: RichardDSalyer
Courtesy of Tech-Fall

Caldwell is beginning his celebration with Metcalf, both fists clenched, in pursuit.

Thanks for sharing the cool photo. However, most people run with 'both fists clenched'. And, he clearly pushed and did not punch Caldwell.

Congrats to both and lets do it again next year!

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Dean Welsh] #144732 03/24/09 12:57 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: dwelsh
However, most people run with 'both fists clenched'.
Generally, I try to stay from generalizations (pun intended). I do not know how most run, however, ...

and

And, he clearly pushed and did not punch Caldwell.
Was there an accusation of a punch being thrown?

At this point, Caldwell plans on a playing NCAA football next season and will take a redshirt for his wrestling season.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #144766 03/24/09 04:09 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
However, most people run with 'both fists clenched'.
Generally, I try to stay from generalizations (pun intended). I do not know how most run, however, ...

and

Yes, world class TRACK athletes run differently than your run of the mill athlete who does not specialize in running.

And, he clearly pushed and did not punch Caldwell.
Was there an accusation of a punch being thrown?

When you wrote 'clenched fists' I just inferred you meant a punch. Whatever. I don't care to quibble over the details. No time for it. Spring break is over. I'll give you this round. You won! CONGRATS! ;-)

At this point, Caldwell plans on a playing NCAA football next season and will take a redshirt for his wrestling season.

Interesting. What position does he think he will play in football and did he have a successful high school football career and lastly, is NCS any good at ftbl?

Thanks.

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #144913 03/25/09 12:03 PM
Beeson Offline

That is one way to keep from having a rematch. Really can't blame the guy I wouldn't want to wrestle Metcalf again either.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Beeson] #144918 03/25/09 12:42 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Ha! Now that is a good one. Lets see - Caldwell already PINNED him once. And, now beat him pretty easily in the finals. The only time Metcalf beat Caldwell (and yes, BM did tech fall) was early in the season during an exhibition.

Anyway, congrats to both.

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Beeson] #144920 03/25/09 12:53 PM
coach craig Offline
Listen....Why are we so suprised to see any of this happen? I am not trying to condone what Metcalf did, but look at how he wrestles. He wrestles full throtle for 7 minutes every time out. You can go YouTube all of his matches and see this. I love watching this guy go at it. This has allowed him to bully most of his opponents. He is aggressive to the point they break and then he pours on the points. Now Caldwell comes out and punches him in the mouth and takes him down multiple times. I think the most effective way to wrestle Caldwell. Metcalf is out of his game plan and Caldwell gets the momentum and rides it to a victory. Then he taints it by rubbing it in his face. Everytime Metcalf won this year he ran back to the center with his hand out first, shook hands, then ran off of the mat...no emotion no showboating. Why can't Caldwell??? Celebrate with your team. This is not the NFL or the NBA. This is wrestling. Get up raise your hands in victory and celebrate with your coaches. Metcalf chasing him down is...in my opinion...not that suprising. There was still time on the clock. Where I will disagree is I think he was pissed when he pushed him and not trying to score points. This is the mentality of the Iowa Hawkeyes. Stay aggressive every second and find a way to punish your opponent. I listend to an interveiw with Coach Brands and the USA team where he condoned the actions of Roger Clemens throwing the barrell of a broken bat at Mike Piazza in the World Series a couple of years ago. This is the mentality in the room at Iowa. Metcalf could have injured Caldwell and Metcalf should have pulled up, but look at the body of work. Do your flips after time has expired after your opponent walks off of the mat. Not when there is time on the clock....this will cut your chances of peing shoved by a pissed off guy in a black singlet.

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: coach craig] #144944 03/25/09 04:05 PM
C
cc&djmom Offline
C
Me being a mom of a National Champ, I don't see how you can't showboat to a point, but I wasn't impressed with how he went about it. But you know it was in the moment, he can look back on in it later and say wow I shouldn't have done that, but when you are in the moment, know telling what you will do. If they all could do like my Champ that would be great but not all minds think alike right?? Congrats to him for doing what he set out to do!

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: coach craig] #144954 03/25/09 05:01 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
[quote=coach craig] Everytime Metcalf won this year he ran back to the center with his hand out first, shook hands, then ran off of the mat...no emotion no showboating. Why can't Caldwell???

Why should he?

Why do we expect or want him to be a Metcalf clone? Why can't we let him celebrate the way he wants to? Its his life. Diversity is cool. Winning a national title is cool. Especially when it is beating someone that most every one else thought was UNBEATABLE.

He earned it. Some hated it. Some loved it. He earned it. He won.

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Dean Welsh] #144955 03/25/09 05:07 PM
C
cc&djmom Offline
C
I think, and it's just my opinion, alot of people are having an issue with the way he did it. There seems to be confusion as to when he started celebrating, some say it was before time ran out, some say it was after. I have ready Chenoweth's posts and watched the match and have to agree with him, time had run out, altough barely, when he started. And I agree with you dwelsh yes he earned and deserved it. He was obviously the better wrestler in the finals. He broke Metcalf and that's what it was going to take and he knew it. But as I said everbody has an opinion and is entitled to that and God Bless America for letting us speak it!

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: cc&djmom] #144957 03/25/09 05:10 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Amen Mom! Yeah for diversity and freedom of speech! BOO FOR CLONES!!! ;-)

Darrion Caldwell named TheMat.com Wrestler of the Week for March 17-23
TheMat.com
03/23/2009

Darrion Caldwell (Rahway, N.J./North Carolina State) has been named TheMat.com Wrestler of the Week for March 17-23.

Each week, TheMat.com will select an Athlete of the Week, based upon performance within wrestling for that week. The selection committee will consider any level of wrestling, from youth programs through the Senior level.

Caldwell, an N.C. State junior, delivered one of the most stunning upsets in the 79-year history of the NCAA Championships when he shocked Hodge Trophy winner Brent Metcalf of Iowa 11-6 in the 149-pound finals. Caldwell scored four takedowns in the win.

The third-seeded Caldwell came out aggressively, scoring two early takedowns to stun the No. 1 Metcalf. The second takedown was a headlock. Caldwell also kept Metcalf on the mat, racking up well over a minute of riding time in the match.

Caldwell caught and pinned Metcalf with a spladle early last season. It was Metcalf’s only college loss until Saturday night. Metcalf, a junior, won by technical fall over Caldwell in the all-star match at the beginning of this season which did not count in official records.

His victory snapped Metcalf’s 69-match winning streak. Caldwell was named Outstanding Wrestler of the tournament.

Caldwell opened the NCAA Championships with a pin over Cesar Grajales of Penn in 3:27. In the second round, he scored a major decision over Desmond Green of Buffalo, 10-2. In the quarterfinals, Caldwell had a major decision win over No. 6 Jake Patacsil of Purdue, 10-1. In the semifinals, he had another major decision, stopping No. 7 Bryce Saddoris of Navy, 13-2. He ended his season with a 38-0 record.

Caldwell placed fifth at the 2008 NCAA Championships as a sophomore, and was one match shy of All-American honors as a freshman. He was a three-time New Jersey state high school champion.

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Dean Welsh] #144962 03/25/09 05:19 PM
coach craig Offline
I do not want a Metcalf clone. That's boring. What I do want is some sort of respect towards your opponent.

You left out a very important piece of my post as well...Celebrate with your coaches and team...Do your flips when time has expired when you opponent has walked off of the mat. Not when there is time on the clock. Read the post don't just cut out and read what you want.

I am not against one getting excited. We will see this in Topeka this weekend. I am against showing up and showboating in front of your opponent. I am also against retaliating against this.

For the record I thought it was great that he beat metcalf. It shows that anyone can be beat on any day. Caldwell wrestled his match and did not let Metcalf bully him around. Also, I'm a Cowboy fan and any one that has the ability to keep Iowa out of the #1 spot I am pulling for.

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: coach craig] #144967 03/25/09 05:42 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
I read all of your post. I think Caldwell was just happy and in the moment as 'mom' said. I doubt he did it with the intent to hurt BM feelings. He was just excited. I'm letting it go. Lets agree to disagree. Some think it was cool. Some think it was AWFUL. Some think it was in between.

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Dean Welsh] #144968 03/25/09 05:46 PM
coach craig Offline
I think that is where we will have to leave it. What we can agree on is it was a great match and DC took it to BM.

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: coach craig] #144984 03/25/09 07:16 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Amen. Take care.

I hope we (fans) get to see a rematch some day.

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Dean Welsh] #145020 03/26/09 12:48 AM
W
Wrestlin Scholar Offline
W
I don't think this match was a one time fluke. I'd put my money on Caldwell on the rematch because he figured out Metcalf.

If you watch Metcalf, he's notorious for breaking his opponents down with that heavy collar tie. He shuts them down and eliminates their attack and also wears them down by hanging all of his weight on his opponents neck and back. If you notice in the match, Caldwell shucked, blocked and passed the collar tie and kept turning the corner. He wouldn't let Metcalf get in his comfortable position. I think some of the other top 149 wrestlers will be watching tape and figure this out.

And when BM loses a match next year, I hope he takes it like a man that time.

And just to reiterate to Iowa fan, the flip was cleary after time was up and 10 feet off the mat. look at the tape!!! I think it's great that Iowa wrestlers wrestle a full 7 minutes, but you better turn if off when the 7 is up.

Also, nobody would be talking about Caldwell's flip is Metcalf didn't push him.

"If pro is the opposite on con, then the opposite of progress is congress"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (CoachFitzOS), 170 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)