Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bad People [Re: #1KUFAN] #145980 03/31/09 11:31 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Here is a feel good story for you. A young man in our club finished 5th in Subs (tough, tough bracket) and was allowed to fill a void and wrestle at Districts. He goes on to qualify for State finishing 4th at Districts. At State, he wrestles through the back side and comes within one match (lost 2-4) of placing. Andrew, fantastic job. You are a champion in my book any day of the week.

Lee Girard
Re: Bad People [Re: ReDPloyd] #145989 04/01/09 12:34 AM
M
mom4 Offline
M
Okay, this didn't happen at Kids state but it still is a happy wrestling moment this year for me. We were at high school Regionals and were sitting by the fans from Holton (perfect strangers at the beginning). During the breaks, we started to talk and visit with each other and then a funny thing started to happen during the day....whenever a Chapman kid was wrestling, all the Holton fans cheered just as hard as we did and when a Holton wrestler was wrestling, we cheered just as loud as they did. It made the two days so much fun!

Re: Bad People [Re: #1KUFAN] #145991 04/01/09 01:02 AM
W
wrestlersdad77 Offline
W
I want to say thank you to Kansas Wrestling and to the Colby Wrestling Club for a fantastic first year. I grew up playing basketball and now regret not getting involved with wrestling as a kid. This was my Step Sons first year of wrestling and he had an amazing first year qualifying for State at 8 and under 80#, He even won a match and got to wrestle on the second day. Wrestling gave Ethan and I a chance to grow closer. I also got to help Coach with CWC this year and I plan to continue helping as long as they will let me. I would also like to say thank you to all of the people from all over the State that have been so supportive to the Siruta family and to CWC during the loss of our friend and teammate Tate, Just goes to show how close the wrestling family really is.

Shawn

Re: Bad People [Re: wrestlersdad77] #145994 04/01/09 01:15 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
I sure hope you're a better coach than bowler... wink see ya thursday

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Bad People [Re: Bronco Wrestler] #145995 04/01/09 01:19 AM
W
wrestlersdad77 Offline
W
I will be there!

Re: Bad People [Re: #1KUFAN] #146012 04/01/09 03:08 AM
V
VERONICA&RONNIE1 Offline
V
I would like to thank the dad that came up to my husband and daughter this last weekend with encouragement words for my daughter. she has now wrestled for 4 years and its getting hard to find ways to keep her encouraged to stay in the sport. i think what he said to her help alot. i asked her today if she would like to do freestlye and she wants to. i was really surprised. i think it had alot to do with what he said. I wish I had his name so i could think him personally. these girls that wrestle needs all the encouragemant they can get. again thank you to this gentleman you are well respected.

Re: Bad People [Re: RichardDSalyer] #146029 04/01/09 11:34 AM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
One good thing I have seen in our great sport was the Eva Longoria look alike working a table from District 1 on both Saturday and Sunday. If you do not believe me ask smokeycabin!

Richard...never been compared to Eva before but thanks...who do you think that other Mom at our table looked like, you know the one with the long black hair? wink

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling - President Emeritus!
Re: Bad People [Re: wrestlingmom] #146032 04/01/09 12:27 PM
D
DamonParker Offline
D
One of the highlights of my year was at sub districts in Pittsburg. We had a novice wrestler who just decided to try his luck at subs. He was soundly beaten by much more experienced wrestlers, but a coach that happened to be passing by during his second match went out of his way to hang around until the match's completion and tell our novice kid "what a set of cajones" he had for showing up. It meant a lot to our kid and now I'm mad that I can't remember where the coach was from to thank him.

Last edited by DamonParker; 04/01/09 03:12 PM.

The fact that girls are forced to wrestle at state in the middle of the week is laughably sexist.
Re: Bad People [Re: DamonParker] #146034 04/01/09 12:47 PM
G
gymmom Offline
G
One of the best things that I have observed about wrestling is watching my dad an ex wrestler, coach and referee develope a close relationship with my son (his grandson). The sport of wrestling has given them something in common and I am so grateful for all the times they get to spend together at tournaments and practices!

Re: Bad People [Re: gymmom] #146043 04/01/09 03:02 PM
W
wrstgmom43 Offline
W
I can't tell you how much wrestling has done for my children. My son, Brendon, has met and is friends with many of the boys that he wrestles against. It is awesome! His birthday is the end of March, so he invites alot of the boys he wreatles against to come spend the night. It's great. My daughter, Emily, has made many a friend with the girls she wrestles against. On the mat, their enemies, but off the mat they are the best of friends. No other sport does this, and that is why I love wrestling. I hate to see the season end.

Re: Bad People [Re: #1KUFAN] #146055 04/01/09 04:56 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
that's why i like you so much jon, brandon and clay have had major battles, and always remain friends AFTER the match. we both agree that win or lose we both just watched something special. two very talented boys, both with very many wins under their belts for such a young age, yet each can handle a loss like men. that being said i would like to share some special moments i have witnessed this year.
- we started a club this year in frontenac, hoping to get a hs program
- 56 wrestlers signed up to wrestle with our club in the first year
- we only had three coaches myself, shane locke, and kevin callahan (until he left for pratt to wrestle himself)
- the older boys ( age 9,10, 11, &13!!!!) helped at practice with the younger kids
- we had a mat full of kids pushing each other to the limits at practice- and pulling for each other at every match
- not one wrestler quit this season- a couple missed sign ups for subs- but showed up anyway to support their teammates
- our 8u 125lbr was the last match of the day at state- over half the mats had been rolled up!!!--- and i look behind me and 5 of our 6 other state qualifiers and 2 other teammates were still there, on the floor cheerin zack to VICTORY!!!
- i have never been so proud of a group of young men (i've been doing this for about 15 yrs now)
i would like to congratulate all the RAIDER WRESTLERS AND PARENTS ON A VERY SUCCESSFUL YEAR
- boys if you keep up that kind of teamwork and comraderie you will fulfill your own destiny and truly BUILD A DYNASTY
- LASTLY i would like to thank shane for being there when i couldn't- you did a great job! and kevin for coming back, and helping when we needed you, I TOLD YOU, IT WOULD BE THE START OF SOMETHING SPECIAL!

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Bad People [Re: HEADUP] #146064 04/01/09 06:10 PM
W
wrstlmom1970 Offline
W
Day before the State Tournament, my son receives a "Good Luck" card in the mail from one of the children he has beat all year long that didn't make it to state. The boy signed it "Your Friend". I told my sons and husband that that is real class. FYI-my son sent a "Thank You" as soon as we got home. Good Job to the coaches and parents of this young man to teach that above all else, we are one big family.

Sandra Hayes

Wrestle your hardest and leave it all on the mat everytime.
Re: Bad People [Re: wrstlmom1970] #146070 04/01/09 07:12 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Amen and AWESOME! As a teacher and a parent, I'm forever teaching/preaching the virtures of kindness, perserverance and compassion. Thanks for sharing your inspiring story.

Dean

Teacher for 20 years
Dad for 6 years
(yeah, I got a late start!)

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Bad People [Re: mom4] #146071 04/01/09 07:16 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: mom4
Okay, this didn't happen at Kids state but it still is a happy wrestling moment this year for me. We were at high school Regionals and were sitting by the fans from Holton (perfect strangers at the beginning). During the breaks, we started to talk and visit with each other and then a funny thing started to happen during the day....whenever a Chapman kid was wrestling, all the Holton fans cheered just as hard as we did and when a Holton wrestler was wrestling, we cheered just as loud as they did. It made the two days so much fun!

Yeah, good point. Me and a friend went to the 4a state finals. We have never been to Columbus. But, we settled in their section. We talked and shared info/data as if we had known each other for years. The wrestling COMMUNITY. None other like it. And, of course, we cheered like wild for the Columbus kids - even stayed to watch their heavyweight win his championship! ;-)

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Bad People [Re: Dean Welsh] #146146 04/02/09 02:30 PM
J
jwckscobee Offline
J
I can't even begin to mention all of the great things that we have experienced in our three years with the wrestling community. It would take me another three years to type it all and everyone would get very bored reading it. However, the greatest thing that I have experienced is the acceptance of my daughter and the growing number of girls wrestling. The amazing support at every single tournament from so many that do not even know her and the constant words of encouragement. To top that off we have made some great friends and have had the joy of watching so many people, including ourselves, grow and change. As an athletic person my whole life I have been around a lot of different sports and have never experienced the closeness that comes with being a wrestler, or in my case, a wrestlers mom!

Jarrod and Christina Scobee
Aerial Groene
Re: Bad People [Re: HEADUP] #146177 04/02/09 06:18 PM
Team*Lautt Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks brother ... mutual respect is a great thing - steel on steel - makes us all bettter! I'm a fan of your club.

As in the example you've noted with Brandon and Clay, I swear I learn more from the kids than they from me. It's humbling.

Jon Lautt 704-582-2341
Re: Bad People [Re: lil choppo's mom] #146201 04/02/09 11:49 PM
B
birddog Offline
B
Hey Jon,
GREAT post - I'm gald there are poeple like you.
Klaus Schmidt

Re: Bad People [Re: birddog] #146243 04/03/09 01:50 PM
Team*Lautt Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you Klaus - it was really good to meet you and visit with you last weekend!

Also, congrats on Chuckie's win!

Jon Lautt 704-582-2341
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 81 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,928
Posts250,357
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)