Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
“Beyond The Mat” #152448 11/16/09 05:53 PM
Shane Koranda Offline OP
OP Offline
I got this in my inbox. Not too sure how I got on the mailing list, but it looks like a good film! Haven't seen any previews for it on the TV though. Just thought I'd share...

Shane Koranda

-----

GREAT NEWS!!
A film I produced received an amazing review at the American Film Market...

"It has an excellent potential for domestic theatrical release
and I predict it will prove to be a more profitable income generator
than anything else that was available at AFM 2009."

"Which film will be The Next Paranormal Activity...
I think I found it. Really. “Beyond The Mat”

WATCH OUR MOVIE TRAILER
Click Here!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJe7o-qr6vE

REVIEW
"Which film will be The Next Paranormal Activity... I think I found it. Really. “Beyond The Mat” is a sports drama about high school wrestling. It’s a cross section of every good high school movie you’ve ever seen with a twist: the kid we’re rooting for is a Vietnamese athlete who was adopted into an Ohio family as an infant. It’s the proverbial fish-out-of-water-meets-coming-of-age internal journey. With a lot of sweat. The script was an Official Screenplay Selection at Tribeca in 2007. It’s a well crafted story with authentic performances across the board. The film, which is currently in post production, will come in with a total budget that is well under half a million, but still looks as good on screen as every other teen movie in recent memory. It has an excellent potential for domestic theatrical release and I predict it will prove to be a more profitable income generator than anything else that was available at AFM 2009." by Catherine Clinch. Founder of Nuclear Family Films and a frequent contributor to Film News Briefs.

COMPLETE ARTICLE
http://filmnewsbriefs.com/2009/11/fnb-special-feature-american-film-market-days-6-8/

ABOUT "BEYOND THE MAT"
Beyond the Mat (also called Nearfall) is the next classic sports movie. It has the best elements of an edge of your seat sports movie, where the underdog must rise to the challenge, but with a new modern twist. Imagine Friday Night Lights but on the wrestling mat. Not just a sports story... Not just a love story... Beyond the Mat was chosen out of thousands of scripts in 2007 to be an official selection at the Tribeca Film Festival All Access Program. Filmed in 2008 and currently in postproduction, the target completion date for Nearfall is April of 2010. Tribeca Film Festival will host the World Premiere in New York.

SYNOPSIS
Set against the backdrop of a suburban high school in Middle America, Beyond the Mat is the coming of age tale of Aaron Miller. Amidst the struggle of a disintegrating friendship, the tormenting of a cross‐town wrestling rival, and the blossoming of a new love, Aaron is forced to come to terms with who he really is. Aaron’s friendship is put on the line when best friend Bo, blinded by the desire for a rematch against cross‐town wrestling rival Dominic, robs Aaron of his spot on the varsity wrestling team. Aaron is torn between his loyalty to his friend and his commitment to his sport. Fueled by the desire to succeed and the need to prove himself, Aaron embarks on a journey of self discovery. At times, Aaron’s struggles on the mat mirror his struggles in daily life. His wrestling encounters are a physical manifestation of his emotional struggle, a metaphor for what he is going through. When Bo suddenly dies, Aaron is forced to set aside his guilt over his friend’s death and put things into perspective. The drama cuminates in an explosive finale at the State Wrestling Championship where more than just pride is on the line. It’s a tale about two best friends, a chronicle about minority experiences in America, an uncensored look into the perilous world of high school wrestling, and ultimately the story of a teen who overcomes self‐doubt to find his true place.

UPDATE ON TALENT
Since we shot the film we have been securing finishing funds to complete the project. Our talent have been very active in the industry and have seen great success. They have proven to be the next generation of stars. Our female lead, Sara Fletcher, who plays yhe love interest Jennifer Sanders, is currently hosting her own TV show on Comedy Central titled Secret Girlfriend. Also, Mark Hapka who plays one of our male leads, is a regular on TV shows such as the Ghost Whisperers and Days of Our Lives. Both have been working steadily for the fast two years! Our lead character, Aaron Miller, played by John Wynn, was host of the hit TV show CD USA. The show was broadcast in many Asian markets! Watch for them as they are continually booking projects.

DISTRIBUTION AND PRODUCTION UPDATE
There is interest in our project from a few distributors, but currently all rights are available. The feature film has been shot on the High Definition RED Camera and is in the can. In December we will get some pick up shots and complete our picture lock. Currently, we have an assembly cut of the entire film that are willing to make presentation in person to interested investment parties and distributors. We will have our picture lock by December 15th, 2009 and expect the film to be complete with all the bells and whistles by February 2010. We are still seeking investments to offset some of our post production costs.

MARKETING
The wrestling community in the US is 30,000,000 strong! Our project is endorsed by USA Wrestling, the governing body of the US Olympic Wrestling Team. The organization produces over 1,700 wrestling tournaments across the country, per year. We are also proud to be endorsed by the National High School Coaches Association which produces the Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior and Senior National Championships, among many other high profile sports tournaments. There are many other wrestling organizations and supporters on board to impliment a grass roots marketing campaign direct to the target audience, males and females 14-25 and 30-45. We currently have collected email addresses and contact information for every wrestling club in the country. There is already a buzz about the project in the community. Listen to and interview by one of the leading radio shows that covers the sport. Take a few minutes and listen in: Listen Here

WATCH OUR MOVIE TRAILER
With a buzz about our project stirring about, our preliminary trailer was viewed over 14,000 times. Now we have cut a new trailer and expect more hits. Take a look: Click Here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJe7o-qr6vE

Pura Vida,
Henry K. Priest
Festival Director
Downtown Film Festival Los Angeles
www.DFFLA.com
323-365-1496

MySpace: www.MySpace.com/CoachPriest
Facebook: www.Facebook.com/CoachPriest
Twitter: www.Twitter.com/CoachPriest
IMDB: www.IMDB.com/name/nm1316749/

Shane Koranda
Towanda, Ks.
Re: “Beyond The Mat” [Re: Shane Koranda] #152816 11/27/09 05:00 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
The movie looks pretty decent, but the wrestling like most wrestling movies looks pretty well scripted and doesn't seem to flow like a real match from what I seen in the trailer...

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: “Beyond The Mat” [Re: Bronco Wrestler] #152840 11/30/09 12:02 AM
Mike Dipman Offline
Does anyone know where you can buy this movie?

Re: “Beyond The Mat” [Re: Mike Dipman] #152841 11/30/09 12:02 AM
Mike Dipman Offline
I,ve googled and cant find nothing but the trailer video.

Moderated by  usawks1 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 112 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,932
Posts250,363
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)