Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Regional Assignments [Re: REVOLUTION] #153275 12/08/09 05:29 PM
B
back in the day Offline
B
my bad - and the regional BB tournament for metro areas like Quinter is Feb 22-27 - so tell me the difference in costs.

The older I get the better I was!
Re: Regional Assignments [Re: back in the day] #153277 12/08/09 05:46 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: back in the day
Back to occupancy expenses- Since I obviously don't have a clue as to how much it costs to hold an event at a gym. Can someone tell me the difference in cost between a regional basketball tournament over a 4 day period for and a one day wrestling event.

The difference is in the gate i.e. attendance. Wrestling's most ardent fans and future wrestlers are all out at their own tournaments while their regional is going on.

Re: Regional Assignments [Re: sportsfan02] #153296 12/09/09 12:48 AM
L
lakemats Offline
L
was in holton last night for jr high dual. ad says they're hosting, but haven't heard the other 4a sites.

Tim Horgan
Re: Regional Assignments [Re: sportsfan02] #153304 12/09/09 02:43 AM
G
GregMann Offline
G
Basketball = three nights at central site; two games per night. 4 hours per night; = 12 hours. One person on the book, one on the clock and one announcer. Three people per night.

Regional Touurnament = day 1 of 6-8 hours and day 2 of 11-12 hours = 17 to 20 hours. Three mats = three clock operators and three scorekeepers. At head table = scorer, asst. scorer and announcer. 9 people for 3/4 of the tournament

Understanding that not all do it the same way, I am going to compare the two events based on the experiences I have as the result of having been directly responsible for hosting both events:

Sub-State Basketball = one custodian on duty; EMT? Probably not.
Someone on duty for blood clean-up? Puh-leez!
Regional Wrestling = Custodians on duty entire time and with overlapping schedules. We hire ambulance/EMT and have on site. Blood spill person(s)? Yes and they should have hepatitis inoculations! (I just cringe when I see some places using kids to do this).

Substate Basketball = no set-up except to roll out the ball rack and turn on the scoreboard. Sweep the bleachers when done.
Regional wrestling = SEVERAL hours of prep work and set-up and then several hours of tear-down and clean up.

Substate Basketball = teams and fans in and out; not very hard on facility
Regional Wrestling = teams and fans "camp out" all day for two days; hard on facility; plumbing, water use, etc.

Substate Basketball: electricity use on Thursday and Friday not too much more than usual as most teams would be practicing or playing games anyway. The big difference between Basketball & Wrestling in utility use is the Saturday component of the Regional Tournament.

Sub-State Baskeetball = scorebook, pencil & buzzer.
Regional Wrestling - bout sheets, computer, printer, mat tappers, bout card runners, floor "security"(gotta keep fans off the mats!)

Sub-State Basketball = games are almost completely confined to the gym and gym lobby.
Regional Wrestling = A large portion of the facilty is used; room for seed meeting and coaches meeting(s), room for cheerleader hospitality, warm-up area, cafeteria in addition to the concession area (some will eat two to three meals on site!).

The Biggest difference between sub-state Basketball and Regional Wresting is the manpower needed and the extent to which the facility is used.

Hosting a regional wrestling tournament is a LOT of work and very labor intensive (as in lots of hands are needed) and the week of it is about all an A.D. works on. That said, it is a GREAT event and we would/will never turn down the opportunity to host it.

Re: Regional Assignments [Re: GregMann] #153341 12/09/09 06:00 PM
B
Brent Lane Offline
B
So what's the hold up on the announcement?

"If it is to be, it is up to me!"
Re: Regional Assignments [Re: Brent Lane] #153346 12/09/09 06:51 PM
T
tbrummer Offline
T
This was under the wrestling announcements on the KSHSAA website. I am guessing that Rick wrote this up on Dec. 7.

2009-2010 NEWSLETTERS

December 7, 2009
REGIONAL WRESTLING ASSIGNMENTS – With the conclusion of the football season I’ve finally been able to focus upon wrestling matters. The long football playoff system of 153 football games played over a four week period requiring the selection and assignment of officials at least a week before the first playoff game makes for an extremely long November. It seems that everything else has to take a back seat to football for that entire month.
I’ve contacted potential regional host sites but am encountering challenges – ranging from financial challenges for some schools who can no longer host events due to the added cost of such events to scheduling conflicts has meant that I need to re-examine all of the regional assignments. While I’ve been able to finalize host sites in a number of classes, there are still a number of classes that I’ve not yet been able to identify a host site. Until I’ve been able to identify the four (4) regional host sites for a class, I am unable to provide the regional assignments.
Given the very difficult financial situations schools are meeting this year I’ve given high priority to trying to identify host sites that are more geographically centered within a configuration of schools that would be attending the regional. Until the four host sites in a class are identified and agree to serve as a host site, I cannot finalize the assignment of schools. While I don’t have a specific deadline for identifying the regional host sites I am giving this the highest priority at this time.
Once the regional sites are identified and the schools assigned, we will post them on the KSHSAA wrestling home page.

Check the KSHSAA Wrestling page “2009-2010 Announcements” page next week for more updates and announcements.

Re: Regional Assignments [Re: tbrummer] #153348 12/09/09 07:21 PM
Cokeley Offline
This letter clearly supports how ridiculous it was to add another week of football games when they expanded the playoffs to include 50% of the teams. I know there is NO WAY that was a cost effective decision. Now wrestling has to suffer a delay and schools are whining about paying for hosting a regional... I am not in favor of cutting any extracurricular programs but I do think it is not very wise to burden existing programs from a cost perspective by expanding them or adding even more programs that fiscally drain our schools even more (ie. bowling.)

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Regional Assignments [Re: Cokeley] #153349 12/09/09 07:25 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
The "extra" week of the football season has had nothing to do with the budget cuts making it too expensive for some potential hosts.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Regional Assignments [Re: GregMann] #153350 12/09/09 08:13 PM
Cokeley Offline
No but it
Originally Posted By: GregMann
The "extra" week of the football season has had nothing to do with the budget cuts making it too expensive for some potential hosts.

Another week of football games is an additional cost. Football does NOT pay for itself.

The additional week CLEARLY contributed to the delay as Mr. Bowden (that is Rick not Terry or Bobby) pointed out that he has been too busy with football.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Regional Assignments [Re: GregMann] #153352 12/09/09 08:44 PM
B
back in the day Offline
B
Mr bowden says " ...seems that everything else has to take a back seat to football for that entire month" Apparently not for bb regionals. Their season ends three weeks after wrestling state. But they have information posted.

This should have been done way last summer! It isnt like it sneaked up on our leaders at KSHSAA! Oh what are we going to do! We need to find sites to host regional wrestling tournaments. This has never happened before!

oh my

Re: Regional Assignments [Re: back in the day] #153353 12/09/09 08:47 PM
B
back in the day Offline
B
Occupancy expenses: Mr Mann, you state that The main difference in cost is manpower? How many of the BB buzzer beepers and score keepers are paid to work a bb game?
How many table workers, ref wappers, and meal providers are paid at a wrestling tournament? It takes a lot of work from a lot of people to run a tournament. Most of those are not paid a dime.

Re: Regional Assignments [Re: back in the day] #153355 12/09/09 09:08 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: back in the day
How many of the BB buzzer beepers and score keepers are paid to work a bb game?

I can only speak for our school district, but all of them. Meanwhile the wrestling workers are all volunteers. I believe the clock operator or the official scorekeeper for ******ball receives somewhere around $100.00 per game if I'm not mistaken.

HANK: I thought you were busy teaching girls to blow up basketballs. What did this turn into a desire to ruin wrestling?
PEGGY: Oh give me a break. I don't see having a girl on the team would ruin it. Did a woman judge ruin the Supreme Court?
HANK: Yes, and that woman's name was Earl Warren.

Last edited by sportsfan02; 12/09/09 09:11 PM.

Re: Regional Assignments [Re: back in the day] #153358 12/09/09 10:00 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
back in the day--depends on the school as to who is paid and who is not. Some who work ours are paid and some are not. The point I was trying to make (and apparently unsuccessfully) was the huge difference between a sub-state bb tournament and a two day regional wrestling tournament.

Re: Regional Assignments [Re: back in the day] #153359 12/09/09 10:09 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
back in the day. . .basketball assignments are not done by Mr. Bowden; they are handled by the person who does volleyball in the fall. As you may know vb is over several weeks before the end of football playoffs. Apples and Oranges.

Will--again, what do the football playoffs have to do with schools saying no to hosting regional wrestling tournaments due to expense as the result of BUDGET CUTS ANNOUNCED AFTER the playoffs were concluded? Not all schools are involved in the football playoffs; in fact only 1/4 are after the first play off game, 1/8 after the next game, etc. Only four per class are involved after the buffer week. A VERY STRONG PROBABILITY that many schools who said "no" were NOT involved in the football playoffs, or if they were, for not very long.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Regional Assignments [Re: sportsfan02] #153360 12/09/09 10:12 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
sportsfan02: our school employees who work the games as admission and table workers ARE paid due to the master contract; non-school employees are offered the same wage; some take it and some do not. Our people do not get rich doing this; it is barely above minimum wage--$7.50 per hour.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Regional Assignments [Re: GregMann] #153364 12/09/09 11:09 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: GregMann
sportsfan02: our school employees who work the games as admission and table workers ARE paid due to the master contract; non-school employees are offered the same wage; some take it and some do not. Our people do not get rich doing this; it is barely above minimum wage--$7.50 per hour.

Yes I'm sure ours is simular but the people I was speaking of are not teachers. The teachers often work as announcers, security or gates and I'm sure they have the same deal as you describe.

KAHN: If my girl doesn't wrestle, I'll show you who put sue in Souphanousinphone!
COACH: This all goes back to Title IX, Dick Nixon's biggest mistake.

Re: Regional Assignments [Re: sportsfan02] #153367 12/09/09 11:59 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
All BS aside, can someone who has been a part of hosting a 4A wrestling regional, post a complete list of workers required to run a regional. We are sticking our nose into it, trying to guesstimate what it would take, and would like some help coming up with some idea of how many we need to recruit. I would love for our school to host a regional, so our kids can sleep in their own beds those 2 nights!! Our boys miss their mommies if away from home more than a few hours.

Re: Regional Assignments [Re: doug747] #153369 12/10/09 12:39 AM
Gary Seibel Offline
Geez guys...why the animosity? It's still two months away. I'm pretty sure they'll get most teams into a regional.

Re: Regional Assignments [Re: Gary Seibel] #153372 12/10/09 01:45 AM
RedStorm Offline
When we hosted at Eudora, twice in a three year period, We were fortunate to have all volunteers for the table workers. These were alumni & parents mostly and each received a free t-shirt for their efforts. We would let Blue Chip set up a stand for the tournament and let them sell whatever they wanted, but the trade-off was that they provided us with free t-shirts, labeled "staff" for all of our workers. They also had unlimited access to the hospitality room or course. Very few of our faculty members worked the tables, and only did so because they wanted to volunteer. I realize that this would not be possible in all schools.

At my current school, we only have room for two mats, but we are going to start putting in for regionals every year and hopefully we will get one one of these days.

Bill DeWitt
Wrestling Fan
Re: Regional Assignments [Re: Gary Seibel] #153381 12/10/09 12:34 PM
B
back in the day Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Gary Seibel
Geez guys...why the animosity? It's still two months away.

I am sorry for being so grumpy.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 110 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,384
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)