Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
NCAA DII National Tourney #164547 03/10/10 06:23 PM
I
ike Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Starts on Friday! Let's get some chatter going. Toughest weight? Predictions?

UNO Will likely have video links from their home page....not sure though.

http://www.omavs.com/index.aspx?path=wrestling

There will be live updated scores here

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-wrestl/champpage/m-wrestl-div2-index.html

Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: ike] #164579 03/10/10 09:47 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L

Lou Ann Baker

Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: LancerLou] #164584 03/10/10 09:57 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
UNO will be webcasting the tournment.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: LancerLou] #164602 03/10/10 11:53 PM
L
Les Brown Offline
L
if you click on the NCAA.com link Ike posted earlier and then click on the Schedule tab you will find the hyperlinks for streaming video of each session.

Friday morning session - http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=ncaa&media=171693

Friday evening session - http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=ncaa&media=171694

Saturday morning session - http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=ncaa&media=171696

The finals link has not yet been posted.

NCAA Sports championship page also has live scoring for in progress matches....pretty neat feature too.

Last edited by Les Brown; 03/10/10 11:53 PM.
Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: LancerLou] #164604 03/11/10 12:01 AM
Isenberg133 Offline
Originally Posted By: LancerLou

I wouldnt consider this to be a great overview..Jason Bryant didnt even mention #1 ranked Andre Harrison, He thinks that Andre isn't even a factor for Augustana's Sherer who lost to Harrison 5-2 earlier this year

Last edited by Aldon Isenberg135; 03/11/10 04:13 AM. Reason: sp
Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: Isenberg133] #164702 03/11/10 03:21 AM
S
Spladle U Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Aldon Isenberg135

I wouldnt consider this to be a great overview..Jason Bryant didnt even mention #1 ranked Andre Harrison, He thinkins that Andre isn't even a factor for Augustana's Sherer who lost to Harrison 5-2 earlier this year
That match at National Duals was a lot closer than the 5-2 score. I would not say that Harrison is a lock to beat Sherer who is a returning All American. Bryant's article featured the returning All Americans, not first time qualifiers. Harrison should not overlook Jeremy Parker either who is very capable of getting to the finals.

Last edited by Spladle U; 03/11/10 03:23 AM.
Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: Isenberg133] #164705 03/11/10 03:26 AM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
The most recent Div II rankings appear to be as of 2/17:

141 Pounds
1. Josh Hensley, Adams State (Colo.)
2. Andre Harrison, Fort Hays State (Kan.)
3. Mario Morgan, Nebraska-Omaha
4. Ben Lockett, San Francisco State (Calif.)
5. Adam Whetstone, Pittsburgh-Johnstown (Pa.)
6. Jeremy Parker, Limestone (S.C.)
7. Jay Sherer, Augustana (S.D.)
8. Nate Nauroth, Shippensburg (Pa.)

I do see that Harrison had a 4-3 decision over Hensley on 2/27, but the rankings were not updated after 2/17.

Last edited by LancerLou; 03/11/10 03:30 AM.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: LancerLou] #164712 03/11/10 03:58 AM
S
Spladle U Offline
S
Lancer Lou the NWCA popped out a ranking following the regionals on March 4th. Here are the 141's...

141 Pounds
1. Andre Harrison, Fort Hays State (Kan.)
2. Josh Hensley, Adams State (Colo.)
3. Mario Morgan, Nebraska-Omaha
4. Jeremy Parker, Limestone (S.C.)
5. Brady Schneeberger, Minnesota State-Moorhead
6. Jimmy Savala, Chadron State (Neb.)
7. Jay Sherer, Augustana (S.D.)
8. Daniel Genetin, Ashland (Ohio)

The FINAL rankings will be decided by the wrestlers themselves Saturday night in the Sapp Fieldhouse on the Nebraska-Omaha campus...

Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: Spladle U] #164715 03/11/10 04:09 AM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
Thanks. Where are these posted? I didn't see any new rankings on The Mat or on UNO's home page. Maybe I just missed them or I need a new source for info.

See you Friday in Omaha.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: LancerLou] #164725 03/11/10 05:17 AM
S
Spladle U Offline
S
Thanks. Where are these posted? I didn't see any new rankings on The Mat or on UNO's home page. Maybe I just missed them or I need a new source for info.

See you Friday in Omaha.
Here you go Lancer Lou...they are on the archived stories page of the UNO website...there is always a final rankings following the regionals...

http://omavs.com/documents/2010/3/3/mat_rankings.pdf?id=1083

Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: Spladle U] #164726 03/11/10 05:23 AM
I
ike Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By: Spladle U

I wouldnt consider this to be a great overview..Jason Bryant didnt even mention #1 ranked Andre Harrison, He thinkins that Andre isn't even a factor for Augustana's Sherer who lost to Harrison 5-2 earlier this year
That match at National Duals was a lot closer than the 5-2 score. I would not say that Harrison is a lock to beat Sherer who is a returning All American. Bryant's article featured the returning All Americans, not first time qualifiers. Harrison should not overlook Jeremy Parker either who is very capable of getting to the finals.

Jason Bryant's overview was about more than just returning AA's. I imagine he just looked over Harrison by accident. There aren't many matches at this tourney that are a lock but I bet you Andre beats Sherer again. Harrison has beat all the serious contenders in this bracket...you can't argue that. Close only counts in horeshoes and hand grenades and this is wrestling.

Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: ike] #164727 03/11/10 05:37 AM
I
ike Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Toughest weight?

I think 165 is probably the toughest top to bottom. 197 is pretty dang tough too.

There are some other weights with dogfights for the top three but 165 weights will be tough through the top eight.

Have Valko and Garcia ever wrestled?

Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: ike] #164752 03/11/10 01:47 PM
S
Spladle U Offline
S
Originally Posted By: ike
Originally Posted By: Spladle U

Jason Bryant's overview was about more than just returning AA's. I imagine he just looked over Harrison by accident. There aren't many matches at this tourney that are a lock but I bet you Andre beats Sherer again. Harrison has beat all the serious contenders in this bracket...you can't argue that. Close only counts in horeshoes and hand grenades and this is wrestling.
While I agree the ommision of Harrison as a serious contender was possibly an oversite Bryant only talked about past qualifiers and AA's. If you cut to the chase based on wrestlers records Morgan, Hensley and Harrison are the best. Savala and Parker are next. But being realistic looking past Jeremy Parker would be a serious mistake. Harrison has not beat him or faced him. And I saw the Sherer vs Harrison match with my own eyes and Harrison did not dominate him. That was a close match with a close ending..as a matter of fact Harrison beat Hensley 4-3 but also lost to him 12-2...Harrison also beat Morgan 4-3 so neither one of those wins were dominating enough to say he would beat then again...Can Harrison win the whole thing-yes...is he the favorite...no...when the press looks at favorites they consider who is a returning All American (or champ) with a solid record first....next comes past national qualifiers then all others fall in line after that...141 will be interesting in the semis...Morgan better not look past Hensley or Savala (in the 1/4's) who he has beat at the NCAA's before and Harrison beter not look past Parker or Sherer (in the 1/4's) or neither one of them will be in the finals...

Championships are won in March not in Feb, Jan or Dec. so while past wins are nice they are by no means a guarantee (especially with so many competitors close in talent) to a title....

Last edited by Spladle U; 03/11/10 02:17 PM.
Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: Spladle U] #164759 03/11/10 02:36 PM
I
ike Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I don't want to drag on the fact that Bryant spoke of many other contenders besides returning DII AA's....but he did. Seth Wright, Laramie, Dallas Hall, Elijah Madison, Justin Decker,and a slew of other guys who aren't returning DII AAs.

Harrison was a Junior College All-American. I realize they are not the same level of wreslting but many many guys have been successful in that transition. Some have found more success at the DII level than at JC's. Tommy Edgemon never earned AA status in JC's but was a runner-up in DII's. You'll see Brian Melchori go into the DII Hall of Fame this weekend. He never earned AA status in JC's but was a two time National Champ in DII's. Like I said, I realize it isn't the same level but it isn't as if Harrison is a freshman rolling into his first high level tourney either. We all know that a wrestling match between two high caliber wrestlers can go either way, especially at the National Tourney. I'm excited to see how this wt. plays out. Don't underestimate Hensley either. A month ago I would have said he wouldn't be beat. Harrison proved that wrong by sticking to a smart strategy. Kudos to him and Coach T for that game plan.

Spladle...toughest wt. top to bottom?

Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: ike] #164763 03/11/10 03:00 PM
BJobe Offline
How can you say Harrison is not the favorite at 141? No one in the bracket has beat him besides Hensley, who he's split with, but has the last win over. He is ranked #1 in the country for that reason.

That makes him the favorite. Whether he wins it or not, we'll see this weekend. Crazy things happen at national tournaments. But, he is the guy to beat this weekend.

I will be up there supporting the Tigers. Ike, are you going to make the trip?

Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: BJobe] #164765 03/11/10 03:17 PM
I
ike Offline OP
OP Offline
I
No go for me Jobe...I'm bummed but I'll be glued to the computer. I've got a good feeling about this FHSU team. I think the "sleeper" on this team is Malloy (even though it is a brutal wt.)

Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: BJobe] #164770 03/11/10 03:34 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
It would be interesting to post this Harrison topic on USA Wrestling Nation forum (formerly The Mat). I often see Jason Bryant respond. Maybe he will explain his thoughts and we can give Div II some national exposure. I'll leave this idea to those of you who know more than I do.

http://www.usawrestlingnation.com/forum.php

Lou Ann Baker

Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: Spladle U] #164801 03/11/10 05:13 PM
C
Cottonball Offline
C
Spladle U, You are retarded, no offense. Scores don't matter, a win is a win. Some wrestlers wrestle all matches close no matter who their opponent is. Comparing the scores of different matches is a gigantic waste of time. The omission of Harrison was a mistake, bottom line. He is ranked #1, he is the favorite. Doesn't mean anything more than that, its just a ranking.

Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: Cottonball] #164816 03/11/10 06:35 PM
S
Spladle U Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Cottonball
Spladle U, You are retarded, no offense. Scores don't matter, a win is a win. Some wrestlers wrestle all matches close no matter who their opponent is. Comparing the scores of different matches is a gigantic waste of time. The omission of Harrison was a mistake, bottom line. He is ranked #1, he is the favorite. Doesn't mean anything more than that, its just a ranking.
It is hard for me to respect your opinion and post after you backhanded me and called me retarded. I am far from retarded. Just because my opinion is different from yours does not mean I am retarded. What I am is more respectful of others opinions and highly intellegent. With that said I will now dissmiss your crude post from my memory.

Re: NCAA DII National Tourney [Re: BJobe] #164818 03/11/10 06:38 PM
S
Spladle U Offline
S
Originally Posted By: BJobe
How can you say Harrison is not the favorite at 141? No one in the bracket has beat him besides Hensley, who he's split with, but has the last win over. He is ranked #1 in the country for that reason.

That makes him the favorite. Whether he wins it or not, we'll see this weekend. Crazy things happen at national tournaments. But, he is the guy to beat this weekend.

I will be up there supporting the Tigers. Ike, are you going to make the trip?
good points and that is why we wrestle the matches. The wrestlers decide the rankings. I believe the other contenders would prefer to be the hunter instead of the hunted. That top spot is a lot ot live up to. Let's see if Harrison can pull it off. What I do know is there are a lot of studs in that 141 bracket and they will be gunning for that top spot so Harrison better be on his A game because if he's not he won't be the champ.

Last edited by Spladle U; 03/11/10 07:04 PM.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 167 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)