Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: In God we trust [Re: doug747] #176074 12/08/10 02:20 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
Doug, I am thinking of joining and organizing from within. I am finally starting to figure out that kneeling and standing stuff (some of us learn slow) and they leave out the end of the Lord's Prayer. And, Doug, I really like the sermons on social responsibility.

Re: In God we trust [Re: smokeycabin] #176086 12/08/10 01:18 PM
hotrodder54 Offline
Originally Posted By: smokeycabin
We had a problem with numbers in these 2 divisions last year - 6 & under and 14 & under.

The open 6 & under had only 33 sign up - very tough time making any brackets where kids could wrestle different kids, We had 128 6 & under novice signups.

Same problem in the 14 & under division we had 40 novice signups and 80 open signups. Can't make everybody happy.

33 and 40 kids in an age group you can not make enough pairings with the available weights.

Anyway - we had complaints both ways not enough kids in a bracket and also we had complaints that so and so is 3rd year.

JC Classic 2010 - Last year

6 & U 33 - Open sign ups (20.5%)
6 & U 128 - Novice sign ups (79.5%)
14 & U 80 - Open sign ups (66.7%)
14 & U 40 - Novice sign ups (33.3%)

It would be nice if the weekend started on Friday. I doubt if Novice tournaments will be moved to another day - at least for now.

Do respect in reference to the JC classic I will never ever ever go to it again. Unless they change the open and novice on same day. Its to crowded and takes forever. I understand the reasoning for doing it that way. So they can make more etc.. This is really disappointing to me cause it is always well ran and good competetion and its real close to home. Its just incredibly crowded. And not to be judgmentel but if you looking for the novice parents Their the ones in the lawn chairs on the floors next to mat surfaces. LOL

Jon Trowbridge
Ive never had the fear of getting beat thats how most people lose.
Re: In God we trust [Re: Sudawn Bradley] #176115 12/08/10 06:39 PM
I
ictdad Offline OP
OP Offline
I
IMO I should flex with my wrestling schedule not my church schedule. In our household we attend every time the doors are open. (Sunday a.m. & p.m. Wednesday p.m. and any youth group events). That is the example I choose to set for my family.

Re: In God we trust [Re: ictdad] #176119 12/08/10 07:59 PM
hotrodder54 Offline
Originally Posted By: ictdad
IMO I should flex with my wrestling schedule not my church schedule. In our household we attend every time the doors are open. (Sunday a.m. & p.m. Wednesday p.m. and any youth group events). That is the example I choose to set for my family.

Sorry then you should not attend Sunday tournaments. I believe that I don't have to be in the pews every Sunday to be a good Christian. But I see your position. I believe that "The good lord won't mind us missing for a father and son time" A Family Prays/Plays together stays together.

Jon Trowbridge
Re: In God we trust [Re: John Johnson] #176125 12/09/10 01:25 AM
D
doug747 Offline
D
I try to catch a nap during the sermon, so I wouldn't know....

Re: In God we trust [Re: hotrodder54] #176126 12/09/10 01:26 AM
D
doug747 Offline
D
But I don't believe we should make these teams that have tourneys on Sunday, reschedule them to meet one person's church schedule.......

Re: In God we trust [Re: doug747] #176130 12/09/10 01:38 AM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
doug747 - sleeping during a sermon - explains a lot....

I've had parents have their kids quit wrestling over the novice on Sunday...my suggestion would be to take your lumps at smaller open tournaments - especially those smaller open tournaments when bigger tourneys such as Salina, Wichita, etc are taking place.

I know the Jo Co Kids Classic was a nightmare last year (trust me it was worse behind the scenes) but they are back to the original location and things should run smoother this year. So that is one novice tournament you could attend on Saturday, there are a few others.

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling - President Emeritus!
Re: In God we trust [Re: wrestlingmom] #176132 12/09/10 01:52 AM
D
doug747 Offline
D
What are you trying to say??? I am insulted.........

Re: In God we trust [Re: doug747] #176136 12/09/10 02:14 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
“Do respect in reference to the JC classic I will never ever ever go to it again.”

Jon Trowbridge Prodigy Wrestling

Jon and the tournaments that you and your Club KC Prodigy Wrestling host, run, volunteer at and do a lot of the work organizing is when and where?

Last edited by smokeycabin; 12/09/10 02:49 AM.
Re: In God we trust [Re: doug747] #176142 12/09/10 03:03 AM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
crazy no insult intended!!!!!

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling - President Emeritus!
Re: In God we trust [Re: smokeycabin] #176144 12/09/10 03:17 AM
hotrodder54 Offline
“Do respect in reference to the JC classic I will never ever ever go to it again.”

Jon and the tournaments that you and your Club KC Prodigy Wrestling host, run, volunteer at and do a lot of the work organizing is when and where?

Smokey, we are just a small humble club no school affiliation doing everthing we can as Dads and coaches to nurture our own kids as athletes. This doesn't mean we shouldn't have an opinon. Last year we supported the JC Classic. I just trying to bring to light that you could have a better turnout. And I did say it was a well run competetive turnout and I regret we won't be going. So I guess the fact that we don't have a school, tournament etc. means your better? I will continue to do whats best for them.

I'll make a deal with you if you need help with anything, at all I am always happy to help anyone. Those who know me at all will tell you the same thing. My number 913-314-4529.

Last edited by hotrodder54; 12/09/10 03:18 AM.

Jon Trowbridge
Re: In God we trust [Re: hotrodder54] #176159 12/09/10 10:42 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
"I'll make a deal with you if you need help with anything."

I'll make a deal with you. Don't rip on tournaments and their directors unless you have helped run one with 750 - 1000 volunteer hours for one weekend - and providing a place for kids to compete. I never said that parents who are helping their kids and clubs that help host tournaments are better. I am sure you and your club could help work a table at every tournament, help with weighins and skin checks, cleanup bleachers and bathroomns, work consessions and hospitality room for coaches, schedule officials & EMTs, move mats from one school to another setup, teardown return mats when tournament is over & clean mats, bracketing, ordering supplies and awards, updating brackets, and many other tasks, etc. Feel free to call or e-mail me if you have a problem.

Sean McCarthy
(913) 579-1835
smokeycabin@hotmail.com

Re: In God we trust [Re: smokeycabin] #176160 12/09/10 10:49 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S

Don't rip on tournaments and their directors unless you have helped run one with 750 - 1000 volunteer hours for one weekend - and providing a place for kids to compete.

I guess you've never heard the saying "the customer is always right"? I doubt that your local supermarket only accepts complaints from those who have run a supermarket in the past. If clubs/directors don't want complaints then don't get greedy and take more entries than your facilities can handle. It's as simple as that!

Re: In God we trust [Re: sportsfan02] #176169 12/09/10 01:25 PM
D
Dad of 6 Offline
D
Wow this thread has taken some strange turns. Back to the Wrestling on Sunday. I have been involved in Kansas Wrestling with my kids for 6 years now. I've started three of my six sons wrestling here (two started in another state where we moved from, one will start next year) and we have never wrestled on a Sunday. Yes my kids starting as 6&under have taken a beating, but they have also given a few out. The thing that is hard to swallow is when your son makes it to the state Tournament knowing that the best he can do is 2nd if he is able to win all his matches on Saturday, or not place if he happens to lose on Saturday. I'm not asking for a change but it is something that is hard to face. Yes wrestling is mentioned in the Bible but isn't Keeping the Sabbath day holy one of the big 10.

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. (Exodus 20:1-17)

I have taken some lumps as a parent from coaches and parents for teaching my son’s this principal but in the end when my son did qualify for state a few years ago I don’t think I could have been prouder of him if he had won the whole thing then when he was given the choice to travel with a coach and go back and wrestle on Sunday when he said and I quote “ Dad, (holding his hands like scales) wrestling or our father in heaven, that’s a no brainer, I’ll get my church clothes on.”

I love wrestling, I really like what it teaches my sons, I just wish (and I know it is just a wish) we could give more kids that are getting into sports the same opportunities I had when I was young. We didn’t do all of these things on Sunday but some how we still managed to get a lot of wrestling (and other sports) in and not have to miss out or be benched because you had believes that were stronger then practice or games on Sunday. I really wonder sometimes when I look at all the new and more difficult problems our children face in today’s world if maybe the lack of respect we give those Ten Commandments might be some of the problem, and could also be more of a solution if we followed them.

Wow now that was a rant.

Re: In God we trust [Re: Dad of 6] #176170 12/09/10 02:17 PM
bubbasmom77 Offline
I'm not trying to get into this holy war but if I read that last post correctly the only thing I am allowed to do on Sunday is worship and lay in bed. Kids aren't allowed to have fun( that passage said WORK, not fun just for the record) and we can't cook on Sunday. I was always taught that you didn't have to go to a place of congregation to worship as you can worship in your heart anytime you want to. My son loves the sport of wrestling and I will afford him every opportunity possible in that sport.

Re: In God we trust [Re: smokeycabin] #176200 12/09/10 06:01 PM
hotrodder54 Offline
"I'll make a deal with you if you need help with anything."

I'll make a deal with you. Don't rip on tournaments and their directors unless you have helped run one with 750 - 1000 volunteer hours for one weekend - and providing a place for kids to compete. I never said that parents who are helping their kids and clubs that help host tournaments are better. I am sure you and your club could help work a table at every tournament, help with weighins and skin checks, cleanup bleachers and bathroomns, work consessions and hospitality room for coaches, schedule officials & EMTs, move mats from one school to another setup, teardown return mats when tournament is over & clean mats, bracketing, ordering supplies and awards, updating brackets, and many other tasks, etc. Feel free to call or e-mail me if you have a problem.

Sean McCarthy
(913) 579-1835
smokeycabin@hotmail.com

Sean I'll tell you what if you would time to read thru my post you see I didn't rip anyone if fact said they always did a great job with the event. You thinks a rip on someone? If you think thats a rip tough! don't email me don't call if you see me around stop me and we can talk. But sir you should climb off your high horse before hand. Nothing I posted warranted any of the stuff your spewing.

Jon Trowbridge
Re: In God we trust [Re: doug747] #176204 12/09/10 06:47 PM
I
ictdad Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By: doug747
But I don't believe we should make these teams that have tourneys on Sunday, reschedule them to meet one person's church schedule.......

"one person" Ya think? The title In God we trust was chosen because this country used to believe it. If it's down to just me, WOW.

And so that all know, we will have Gabriel wrestling in opens on Saturdays when there isn't a novice. Maybe he'll win his first match at an open. Who knows? I love wrestling and the way my boys love it with me. I'm not a pesimist, we will find our place, but not on Sundays. Boys should have fun, Sunday included, and men should teach their family to worship. The majority that do choose to, choose Sunday to worship. In the wrestling world novice is when we get our future best to love the sport. All being said we all have to make a choice.

BTW I do think that Andover has cancled their Sunday event.

Last edited by ictdad; 12/10/10 03:05 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 116 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)