Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: novice tournaments, for novice ONLY [Re: JamesG] #177088 12/21/10 07:20 PM
J
Jeremy Molloy Offline
J
This should also be a parents responsibility. While I was working the weigh-in for the Derby novice a parent came in and asked to scratch his kid from the tournament, when I asked why he told me that his son had won the open tournament that day and didn't think it was right to wrestle the novice I told him that he was doing the right thing. We need more parents like that.

Jeremy Molloy
Derby Wrestling
Re: novice tournaments, for novice ONLY [Re: Jeremy Molloy] #177091 12/21/10 07:56 PM
C
creach boys Offline OP
OP Offline
C
James,

Your team ran a first class tournament! You are very right it is the coach, team, and parents resposability to do what is right. You and no other tournament director has the time or energy needed to police this problem. The people involved need to take care of this as a matter of pride and self respect!! I also wanted to tell you THANK YOU for the exabition match. Jayden realy enjoyed it and I think Cody enjoyed it as well.

Thank You Again,
Jarred

Re: novice tournaments, for novice ONLY [Re: JamesG] #177098 12/21/10 08:36 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
the only two people who remember who won the 6u state championship are that kid and his mama.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: novice tournaments, for novice ONLY [Re: doug747] #177099 12/21/10 08:44 PM
J
jhawkmamax2 Offline
J
I'm all for keeping a kid out for wrestling as long as there is at least some enjoyment to be had in the workouts, cameraderie, etc., but right now I have an 8-year-old who can't deal with the losing part. If he was just losing, and being a good sport, of course we would carry on. But as parents, we have struggled to find a way to make a statement about sportsmanship and so far nothing has cracked it for us. Neither of us wants to sit him out, but something's gotta give soon, or we will all hate the sport. It's definitely a maturity thing, I mean, really, he is only EIGHT! I have no doubt that he would jump in again next fall.

Really appreciate all the intelligent discussion on this thread!

Re: novice tournaments, for novice ONLY [Re: JamesG] #177100 12/21/10 08:51 PM
J
jhawkmamax2 Offline
J
James, thanks for offering up this tournament! It was nice to get the kids on the mat in a novice format before they wrestle at Rossville. The matches ran quickly and THANK YOU for the match number signs that were so easy to see from the bleachers. I thought your refs did a great job with the kids who were obviously new (rather hilarious to watch them try to position a kid). I agree that it is up to the parents and the coaches to truly consider what their wrestlers will gain by competing in a novice. Yes, it's fun to run out there and pin someone in 10 seconds, but neither kid gets anything out of that match.

By the way, your food rocked! The Philly steak sandwiches were to die for, and reasonably priced. Tell your food folks great job!

Re: novice tournaments, for novice ONLY [Re: creach boys] #177264 12/26/10 07:53 PM
T
TandKmom Offline
T
The kid u are referring to is my son. He is a second yr wrestler that has much talent. Tonganoxie was our first tournament of the year and we are testing out the waters to see where we need to be. BUT...after what was said to my son(I'm assuming it was u who started this thread) my son is discouraged and thinking about not wrestling. As a grown man how do u get into a chid's face and yell at him and say he doesn't belong at that tournament? I wasn't able to be at the Tonganoxie tournament but feel that my son needs protection from people like you so if we continue I will be at future tournaments. If you have something to say please bring it to me like a grown man instead of trying to tear down my son. Thank you....Keshon's mom

Re: novice tournaments, for novice ONLY [Re: TandKmom] #177276 12/27/10 12:24 PM
C
creach boys Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I told your son that he was to good of a wrestler to be in a novice tournament and that he got nothing out of it. I did not get in his face, I went to his coach and said the same thing. Were as he admitted that he probably did not belong at a novice tournament. I also did not think it was cool of your son walking around talking trash to the other kids that he had destroyed in there matches. His ability is far beyoned novice as I watched him do things that no normal NOVICE wrestler would do. As far as this being his second year wrestling that is irrelavent if he is above that tallent level. It is a matter of self respect and respect for the sport to move up when you are to the next level.

Re: novice tournaments, for novice ONLY [Re: creach boys] #177521 12/30/10 03:32 PM
M
MCase Offline
M
NO Parent, coach, or adult should directly talk to a young athlete in any sport in a manner that could be deemed as negative. Creach, whether or not this "young" wrestler was too good to be in Novice, you had no right to talk to him and tell him that! Period no excuse! You were obviously upset and if you have a problem, you go to his coach. You are an adult and you should know better. Remember this kid was only 8yrs old. Any adult can and will intimidate a child and it sounds like that is what your intentions were. Whether or not you think you "yelled" and "got in his face" is besides the point, that is how it came across and perceived. You owe this kid an apology either in person or at least on this thread.

Re: novice tournaments, for novice ONLY [Re: MCase] #177523 12/30/10 03:55 PM
Paratroop Offline
I concur. Creach you were wrong to do that. But u can still fix it. in the end it's still "kids" wrestling. Not "parent" wrestling. It's a tough sport and sometimes, as our kids do, we let the emotions get to us. The goal should be to let the young wrestler learn and enjoy the sport to make it to HS wrestling. Then let them decide. That's just me.

B. Star
Lawrence, KS
Sunflower Kids Wrestling Club
"Rivals on the mat, friends in life"
Re: novice tournaments, for novice ONLY [Re: MCase] #177524 12/30/10 04:10 PM
S
shamu304 Offline
S
Well, I have been reading this since the tournament ..Creach Boys you DID IN FACT get in Keshon's face pointing your finger in the young man face, You stated in one of above post that Keshon is ruining your wrestling dream of becoming a wrestler.. I wonder if you would have said anything if your wrestler would have won the match..MY son( took 1st place 8 & u 95lbs.) has been in the sport just as long as Keshon.So we are suppose to ruin our sons dream just to keep your(dreams) alive. the reason I say you did what you did is because I was there cause my son and Keshon are on the same team.. Have you ever thought that reason our kids excel a little more than yours is our coaches.. You are the same person that got in Keshon face last year so why know are you not owning up to it.. Its differant to stand up to adults than a 8 yr old young man.. Not trying to be rude just tried of you running away from what you did.. I totally agree with Mcase statement you owe Keshon and his parents and team a apology. But with the above statements you have made your not even admitting you might have been wrong for the way you handled yourself..

Re: novice tournaments, for novice ONLY [Re: shamu304] #177544 12/30/10 07:47 PM
C
creach boys Offline OP
OP Offline
C
First of all I did not go to Keshon!! I went to his Coach, who went and got his head coach. Keshon walked up in the middle of the conversation. The only thing that wasw said to Keshon was that he would win the tournament without any problem, as he did. He was also in the 12 and under 95#. There was the boy that he wrestleds gaurdian also there who was upset by what they had done to him, not only on the mat but off also. If your son is a district qualifier and has won an open tournament he should not be in a novice tournament either. In tonganoxies rules a novice can not have placed in 4 open tournaments or won one, both of wich he has done. Unles you were down there to hear what was said you don't know what was said. If I was out of line why didn't either of his 2 coaches there not say a thing to me? And you are right the young man I was coaching for his first match ever came off the mat saying " I suck" because of what these boys said to him long before the match and the way that he was manhandled on the mat.

Last edited by creach boys; 12/30/10 07:50 PM.
Re: novice tournaments, for novice ONLY [Re: creach boys] #177563 12/31/10 12:41 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
I have read most of the posts. If the wrestler has competed well at open tournaments, he does not belong in novice. I am using if because I don't know much about this wrestler, and I am only going off what I have read. If what I have read is true, then that is unfortunate that the coaches/parents still have this kid in novice. I totally agree that you shouldn't talk to another team's wrestler unless you are giving them encouragement and a pat on the back.

Lee Girard
Re: novice tournaments, for novice ONLY [Re: ReDPloyd] #177574 12/31/10 01:33 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
sounds like a bunch of adults on both sides that should have known better. both sides grow up, apologize, and start raising these kids right. end of the story.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 139 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,384
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)