Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: sportsfan02] #185452 03/04/11 02:36 PM
Paratroop Offline
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
Folks, this isn't that hard to understand. The state in which the cards are issued has NO bearing on them being able to wrestle in this state or any other. Nor does it have any bearing on them being able to wrestle in a qualifier in this or any other state. Rather, all the cards do is allow them to wrestle in USAW sanctioned tournaments throughout the season throughout the nation. The thing that SHOULD HAVE prevented them from wrestling in our qualifying series was our state constitiution. Like someone said, this will be corrected next fall at the state body meeting.

I am wondering if the couple $'s of extra fees KS stacks on to purchasing a card won't come back to hurt us in front of a judge.

B. Star
Lawrence, KS
Sunflower Kids Wrestling Club
"Rivals on the mat, friends in life"
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: BLT] #185454 03/04/11 02:50 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: BLT
People say the state WAITED until January to make a ruling on these kids. But when did these people file the request to be in the state tournament?
The Executive Council has had an annual meeting in January for many years. The letter from the Hugoton Club on behalf of the Oklahoma wrestlers was dated December 20, 2010.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: Paratroop] #185455 03/04/11 02:53 PM
Beeson Offline
There are no extra fees. I agree, shame on Kansas for being nice guys and allowing them to wrestle in the first place. They now feel entitled to be in the tournament instead of allowed. I hope they will not be allowed to participate, but if so, lesson learned. Adapt rules next year to never allow this to happen again.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: Beeson] #185464 03/04/11 03:20 PM
Rieschick Mom Offline
I would recommend NOT fighting. Let them wrestle. To defend the case KS will spend how much in legal fees? The answer is simple too much. And this is money that would/should go to supporting Kansas wrestlers.

If KS is to pay an attorney, pay them to make sure our bylaws are written to get rid of the gray. Although I feel for these wrestlers and do understand what they want, I am not willing to say USAW-KS presents the....

Kansas State and ALL Bordering Neighbor States Championship Series.....

It is KANSAS State for a reason and if you allow one exception, how do you not make two and three and four? It puts the Council in impossible situations to not just make it clear in the beginning who can and can not participate which is what the Council was probably trying to clear up with a membership vote last year.

Just my 2 cents....

Jena Rieschick

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: Beeson] #185465 03/04/11 03:22 PM
badbo Offline
Oklahoma is not a USA wrestling state. You don't need a
USA card to wrestle in the state series in OK. In January they could/should have found out about the state series in OK and wrestled there. The USA card does not grant you any rights to a state qualifying tournament. My son bought his USA card in MO for the last several years. We were not allowed to, nor should we have been allowed to wrestle in MO state series even though that is where our club was and where we practiced 4x a week.

This should have been communicated by the club directors of Hugoton, they knew the rules or have been entrusted that they should.

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: Rieschick Mom] #185466 03/04/11 03:31 PM
O
OLDRASSLER Offline
O
Maybe the wrestlers in their bracket should counter sue to avoid wrestling these okies. In fact next time your kid loses due to a bad call by a referee who can't see over his belly, gets DQ'd for unsportsmanlike conduct by a referee who has an agenda, gets declared overweight due to a defective scale, etc, we now know there is potential justice available. We need to fight this board to protect our rights. Good job guys.

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: Paratroop] #185467 03/04/11 03:31 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Paratroop
A little bit of me is now kinda cheering them on! Wrestlers don't quit.

Wrestler also show respect for the rules.

It is really sad it has come to this. I am not sure this is setting hte best example for the kids involved, that goes for both sides of this issue.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: Teamroper] #185468 03/04/11 03:36 PM
J
Jeremy Molloy Offline
J
Isn't the entry deadline for subs past, or will they sue to let late entries in also.

Jeremy Molloy
Derby Wrestling
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: Jeremy Molloy] #185469 03/04/11 03:39 PM
R
R. Scott Edwards Offline
R
Richard

the original letter of request to participate was dated 10/29/2010.

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: Jeremy Molloy] #185470 03/04/11 03:42 PM
bubbasmom77 Offline
Okay so I guess I screwed up this year, I mean I could have sued Missouri to let us wrestle in there state tourney cause I bought my son a Missouri card this year, and then I had to buy the insurance from Oklahoma to wrestle there so I should be allowed in there state series as well. He wrestled in Texas this year so I'm assuming we have a case there as well. Oh man I almost forgot about Nebraska and Iowa so what is that 6 states that we should be allowed to wrestle the state series in. That's it I'm getting off this forum and calling my attorney.

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: R. Scott Edwards] #185472 03/04/11 03:44 PM
R
R. Scott Edwards Offline
R
I understand that the Board has voted and I am one of the ones that voted to let them participate. I will however enforce the boards decision to not let them wrestle. They are entered into the Sub-District tournament on trackwrestling and I was told to leave them until the outcome of the injunction is decided.

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: R. Scott Edwards] #185474 03/04/11 04:04 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: R. Scott Edwards
Richard

the original letter of request to participate was dated 10/29/2010.

Scott: This is the letter presented to the Executive Council for the January meeting. I have never seen a letter dated October 29, 2010.

USAWKS

12/20/10

To USAWKS Board Members & Clubs

Good afternoon! I am writing today to request permission for the Guymon Ok wrestlers to be a participant in the Sub-District, Districts and State tournaments in Kansas. We are asking because of our geographical location. The state of Oklahoma has a program but we do not wrestle in any of their tournaments because of the distance. All Oklahoma tournaments are located around the metro of Oklahoma City and Tulsa. This is at least 5 hours travel time from our homes in the Panhandle. The closest Oklahoma club is Woodward Ok and that is 100 + miles. If you would be so kind to grant us permission, our only participation will be in the excellent program in Kansas.

There are 8 boys that will be wrestling: Hunter Brunson 10 & under 130, Manny Mendoza 10 & under 80, Mike Mendoza 8 & under 90, Adam Mendoza 6 & under 48, Danny Mendoza 8 & under 58, Rance Long 6 & under 50, Kale Smith 14 & under 11 0, and Lane Smith 10 & under 64.

The Hugoton Wrestling Club has been our Wrestling home for the last two years, and we appreciate what Kansas does for our kids and we would like to continue that. We have discussed this with Jesse Medina, the Hugoton club and District IV and they are very supportive. Therefore we ask that our kids could continue in this program.

Sincerely,

Troy Brunson
Bronze Certified

RT 2 Box 71 AH

Guymon Ok 73942

580-461-0887

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #185475 03/04/11 04:07 PM
R
OP Offline
R
This is a copy of the letter which I sent in 2008.

Mr. Jesse Medina, President
Hugoton Wrestling Club
P. O. Box 445
Hugoton, KS 67951

January 28, 2008

Dear Mr. Medina:

Mr. Steve Woody presented a request by the Hugoton Wrestling Club for approval of an out of state wrestler to participate in the USAW Kansas Kids State Wrestling Championship qualifying series.

The request to participate was denied!

Please extend our best wishes for continued success to your out of state guest.

Respectfully,

Richard D. Salyer
USAW Kansas Kids, Inc.
Parliamentarian

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: R. Scott Edwards] #185478 03/04/11 04:17 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: R. Scott Edwards
I understand that the Board has voted and I am one of the ones that voted to let them participate. I will however enforce the boards decision to not let them wrestle. They are entered into the Sub-District tournament on trackwrestling and I was told to leave them until the outcome of the injunction is decided.
Scott:

Actually, I believe this issue will have beneficial results for USAW Kansas Kids, Inc.

I believe there will be no problem at this years annual meeting passing a bylaw amendment to limit participation in the State Series Championship Series to members who reside and attend an accredited school in Kansas.

I also believe a bylaw amendment removing the additional vote granted to District 4 will pass. There is no valid reason for District 4 to carry one additional vote on the Executive Council than District 1, 2 or 3.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: sportsfan02] #185481 03/04/11 04:25 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
I don't think the fact that theses wrestlers bought a card in Kansas is the main issue here. It is the fact that these kids have had the opportunity to wrestle in this series in the past, now this year they are not allowed to. This seems kind of fishy to me. Who on the board or who has ties to the board has a wrestler that got beat by one of these wrestlers and was upset and stirred the pot. I say let them finish this season as they have the past few years, then next year inform them at the beginning of the year that yes or no they can participate in the series. JMO

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: Teamroper] #185485 03/04/11 04:40 PM
Paratroop Offline
Originally Posted By: Teamroper
Originally Posted By: Paratroop
A little bit of me is now kinda cheering them on! Wrestlers don't quit.

Wrestler also show respect for the rules.

It is really sad it has come to this. I am not sure this is setting hte best example for the kids involved, that goes for both sides of this issue.

It depends. What "you" think the "rules" are and what a judge thinks you said the the rules were. It's up to the courts now. Both sides feel they are acting in their best interest.

Wrestlers should respect the rules. But when it comes to combat, never quit.

"Readily will I fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the misson. Though I be the lone survivor."

B. Star
Lawrence, KS
Sunflower Kids Wrestling Club
"Rivals on the mat, friends in life"
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: Paratroop] #185487 03/04/11 04:46 PM
D
daverobson Offline
D
richard please explain what you mean about district 4 having a extra vote on the board!! wuld like to better understand what you are meaning by that post!!!
thanks for explaining in advance!!!
dave robson

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: L.Geyer] #185488 03/04/11 04:53 PM
M
Mark J Stanley Offline
M
L.Geyer...This is not the first time that you have made that ridiculous accusation. Many members of the board have responded in these threads. Viewpoints both for and opposed to allowing participation have been presented. We are not hiding or running. I sat in the meeting and not one member had an issue with having our wrestlers go head to head with the Guymon wrestlers. There is a time and place for everything and the majority felt that the Kansas State Tournament was neither the time nor the place. In 2009 and 2010 those serving on the board felt differently. As Richard's letter to the Hugoton club demonstrates, Guymon request was denied in 2008. Guymon new full well what the process was. They had received both positive and negative opinions in the past. In 2008, 2009, 2010, and this year decisions were always rendered during our winter meeting the Sunday following the Salina tournament. Your comments do not advance your cause!

Respectfullly Submitted
Mark Stanley
District 1 North Assistant Director

PS...my vote is still NO!

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: Paratroop] #185489 03/04/11 05:00 PM
E
elid2 Offline
E
Rules? What about common sense? If you live in OK wrestle in that state tourny, if you live in KS wrestle in that state tourny. What is there to understand? If you let people from other states wrestle in your state tourny it is no longer a state tourny. Sorry if you have to drive a long way to get there. My son has wrestled in OK, TX, MO & UT but I have never once thought that he could or should wrestle in those state tournys. USAW card has nothing to do with it!

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: elid2] #185491 03/04/11 05:17 PM
C
CWB Offline
C
There seems to be no COMMON SENSE any more.There sould be NO was any kid from any dif state should get to go to state if they do NOT live in that state.

For people to get leagal councel for this just shows how much common sense there is now days.Sad people are this way.

One thing for sure I bet it will not happen agin.After we the people of KANSAS has to pay for court.

I think one big thing that should be looked at here is WHY and WHO side to leave them in subs? Seems to me it had been desided they could not go to state,so why leave them in subs.

I do not leave my name due to my club ,nor my son may think the same toughts I do.If you would like to know whom I am just tell me where to come to.We can set and eat lunch at state :}

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 146 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,935
Posts250,366
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)