Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Maryville, MO the new UNO #188559 04/04/11 01:58 AM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
This is copied from themat.com

Rumor on a couple of wrestling message boards I've seen today, including one substantiated by one of the (former) UNO wrestlers' mother, is that UNO's coaches and wrestlers will be going to Maryville University (in St Louis) to wrestle next year. Apparently there will be no probationary period (they've moved from NAIA to D2) and they will be eligible to wrestle in 2011-2012.

Interesting....
fudge_tunnel
Gold Member

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: usawks1] #188560 04/04/11 02:45 AM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
Sounds exciting! Maybe there will be an announcement in the next week or two.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: LancerLou] #188563 04/04/11 06:22 AM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
It will be ... I wish Coach Denney would chose NOT to go to the darkside (MO) but I am a Denney fan, so I guess it would be okay!!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: usawks1] #188783 04/07/11 12:59 PM
lazyman_1 Offline
Be cool if he moved to one of the Div II schools in Kansas. It would be stupid for a Div II athletic department not to talk with him but sadly they probably don't even know one of the better coaches around is available.

Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: lazyman_1] #189199 04/14/11 09:47 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
This article was published yesterday in the Omaha World Herald.

UNO to celebrate and then on the move...

St. Louis college could be a fit for Mavs

By Rob White
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

The discontinued University of Nebraska at Omaha wrestling program is holding a final farewell Friday night at Sapp Fieldhouse.

“We're waving goodbye,” coach Mike Denney said. “We're going to celebrate and honor the 62 years of wrestling tradition at Omaha U. and UNO.”

A social hour with refreshments is set for 6 p.m. Beginning at 7, all returning lettermen will be introduced.

“We'll bring them to the center of the mat,” Denney said, “and they can place something of significance there.”

Denney said the theme of the evening is “We Are One.”

The school's seventh Division II national championship team also will be honored. UNO won the national title for the sixth time in eight years on March 12, hours before discovering the program would be scrapped as part of the school's plan to move to the Division I Summit League.

The school also won an NAIA national championship in 1970.
Denney said the farewell will include tours of the wrestling room, updated to show this year's achievements.

“It's open to the public,” Denney said of the event. “Anybody who wants to come can. We want the place packed.”

Maryville University, a school making the transition to Division II in athletics, has been identified as a possible destination for the disbanded University of Nebraska at Omaha wrestling program.

Whether a mass transfer of the program is possible, or just what level of interest Maryville would have, remains to be seen.

“All we can say is that for a while we’ve been looking at adding sports here, and wrestling has been one of the sports on the list,” said Marty Parkes, Maryville’s associate vice president for marketing and community relations. “That’s all we’re prepared to say.”
Maryville, in St. Louis, is completing its transition from the NAIA to NCAA Division II and is expected to be eligible to compete for national championships beginning this fall.

Rather than starting from scratch in wrestling, the school could potentially inherit many members of a program that won its third straight national championship last month. Just hours later, UNO announced that it was dropping wrestling and football as part of its move to Division I.

Coach Mike Denney and assistant Ron Higdon visited Maryville last week, and other wrestlers also have toured the campus. Three-time All-American Esai Dominguez is among a group that plans to visit this weekend.

Denney, who also has talked with Creighton, Bellevue University and Benedictine (Kan.) about moving the program, is cautious about where things stand with Maryville.

“We’ve progressed further with Maryville,” Denney said.

Creighton is a Division I program, while Bellevue and Benedictine are NAIA schools. Maryville would seem to be a pretty good fit.

“We’re just working on it,” Denney said. “They’re interested.

“But there’s a lot more to it than just saying we’re going to go down there. There’s so much involved.”

Title IX ramifications are a typical problem, though Maryville has no doubt considered adding women’s teams to stay in gender-equity balance.

The differences in tuition costs — Maryville is a private school — and the financial commitment from the school to the sport also would have to be weighed.

And many members of the program, particularly older students such as Dominguez, could potentially have to change majors.

The former UNO team would hope to start competing immediately.
Meanwhile, Maryville is looking for an athletic director.
“Our athletic director hire will not necessarily affect our decision to bring on a particular sport,” Parkes said.

Denney said his current emphasis is based more on Friday’s program sendoff at UNO’s Sapp Fieldhouse, where the intention is to celebrate the history of wrestling at the school.
Meanwhile, many of Denney’s wrestlers have begun taking visits to other schools, though none has officially decided to transfer.

“I’ve been telling our guys to expect a miracle, and that could happen in a lot of different ways — it could be that we all stay together, or it could be that they all get to a place that is really the best place for them,” Denney said.

“I feel kind of like the Pied Piper, but I’m not sure anyone is behind me. It’s hard for me to let go.”

Dominguez, who said he will probably visit Nebraska, which offers the same major and is obviously within the same system, makes it sound as if the Mavs will be behind their coach.

“Most of us are looking to stay together,” he said. “I think 98 percent of us will stay together.

“It sounds like they (Maryville) really want us down there.”

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: LancerLou] #189454 04/21/11 10:16 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
By Patrick Cooley of the Gateway - University of Nebraska Omaha
Sports Editor

Published: Thursday, April 21, 2011
Updated: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 18:04
Former members of the UNO wrestling program are close to finalizing plans to start a new wrestling program at Maryville University, a Division II school located in suburban St. Louis, according to former head coach Mike Denney.

"We're progressing along with it," Denney said. "I think we're close to doing it. We're just looking for a home."

While Maryville and UNO had hoped to have a decision made by this week, Denney said Maryville President Mark Lombardi has been out of the office on business this week.

"The president is out traveling this week, so a week or so," Denney said in reference to when a possible decision would be made. "They are making sure, with NCAA rules, everything is done correctly. They are working on all that."

Denney and the Maverick wrestlers have been making trips to Maryville to see the campus and meet with University officials.

"We took another group down this week," he said. "We've been able to get most of our guys onto the campus, and we have to do that. It's hard for somebody to commit to something they've never seen. Its something you don't want to force."

While Denney is hopeful that many former Mavs will come with him, there are still a number of uncertainties surrounding the wrestlers' decisions.

"We're having to recruit every guy because it's a new location and a different school," he said.

Despite a desire to stay together, the former program faces many practical challenges. The former Mavs have academic and geographic challenges that still need worked out.

"Location and academic challenges exist especially for those that are further along," he said. "And then there is the money challenge. We have to get all the financial aid to match up."

Despite the hassles of trying to complete what Denney claims would be the first movement of an entire program in NCAA history, the coach has found a true home in Maryville.

"For the last couple of years we've felt like we weren't valued [at UNO]," he said. "It's nice to have people who are embracing us. They are impressed with our guys."

According to Denney, Lombardi has eased the concerns of staff and wrestlers alike.

"The president talked to every group [of UNO wrestlers and coaches that visited]," Denney said. "I wanted that, because they are a little weary because look at what happened here. They wanted to know this guy is for real and wants us here."

Maryville was the first to contact the former UNO head coach about the possibility of starting a program, but Denney also spoke with Creighton University, Bellevue University and Benedictine College.

While he hopes to bring along some of his former staff, Denney said many are firmly grounded in Omaha.

"All of us [at UNO] are part-time," the former coach and HPER instructor said. "I can't bring along a lot of our coaches because they're established here."

Denney hopes to at least bring along former UNO graduate assistant James Reynolds and graduating seniors, Ryan Pankoke and Mario Morgan to join his staff.

"My wife and I are willing to do it," Denney said. "We'll sell our home and go where we need to go. It's not like I'm trying to build up my resume. We're doing it for the kids. I'll start a fire somewhere else."

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: LancerLou] #189613 04/27/11 02:40 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
UNO Gateway

Prayer Answered
Former UNO wrestling coach Denney to be named head wrestling coach at Maryville University Thursday

By Patrick Cooley, Sports Editor
Published: Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Former Nebraska Omaha wrestling coach Mike Denney will become the first head wrestling coach at Maryville University, according to Denney and a Maryville advisory.

Denney also anticipates bringing a number of his former wrestlers with him to the Division II school.

"We're providing an opportunity for them," Denney said. "I'm not trying to improve my resume, I'm just trying to provide an opportunity for [my wrestlers] to carry on what we started here."

On Tuesday, Maryville Associate Vice President Marty Parkes sent out a press release stating that the University was set to "announce [the] hiring of [a] national championship coach," it also stated that it was launching a new varsity sport.

Denney, who has won seven national championships in his 32 seasons as head coach at UNO, confirmed that he would be named head coach at the suburban St. Louis school. Maryville will introduce Denney at a press conference Thursday at 11 a.m.

Both Denney and Maryville have been in discussions since the NU Board of Regents' March 25 approval of UNO's proposal to move to Division I athletics, and drop both the wrestling and football programs in the process.
According to Denney, Maryville was the first school to contact him following that decision.

"Maryville was the first to call and it was like a prayer answered," Denney said. "Our prayer all along was, ‘Is there anyway we can hold this thing together?'"

Denney has been vocal in his disapproval of UNO Athletic Director Trev Alberts and his handling of the decision. The coach was notified of UNO's decision to drop wrestling just hours after his program won its third consecutive national championship.

While Denney has questioned the timing and the professionalism of Alberts, he said his experience with Maryville President Mark Lombardi has been completely different.

"For the last couple of years we've felt like we weren't valued," Denney said. "It's nice to have people embracing us."
Though the coach has found a new home, his work is far from over. Denney said he is having to recruit his former student-athletes to join him at Maryville.

"I'm having to re-recruit every guy, because it's a new location and a different school, " Denney said. "I'd like to bring everybody, but I guess it just depends on how good of a salesman I am."

Maryville's tuition has been one obstacle to Denney's recruitment of his former wrestlers. The private school's tuition for the 2010-11 school year is $21,922, according to the University's website. UNO's, on the other hand, is $15,982.50 for out-of state students and $5,947.50 for in-state students. While athletic scholarships take care of some of the financial burden, Denney said more is needed.

"We're having to get all the financial aid to match up," said Denney. "But they're working with us on it."
In addition to his former wrestlers, Denney hopes to bring along some of his 11 former assistants, though many have other jobs in Omaha, which won't allow them to move.

"A lot of us were part-time at UNO," Denney said. "I can't bring along a lot of the coaches because they're established in Omaha."

The coach said he hopes former graduate assistant James Reynolds and two of his national champions from last season – Mario Morgan and Ryan Pankoke – can join him at his new school.

Maryville is currently completing its reclassification from Division III to Division II athletics. The new wrestling program will be eligible to compete for championships in its inaugural season, though it is unclear whether they will join a wrestling conference or wrestling as an independent.

More information will be made available after Thursday's press conference.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: LancerLou] #189662 04/28/11 03:45 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: LancerLou] #189664 04/28/11 03:47 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
News and Information

4/28/2011

Maryville Announces New Wrestling Program; Hiring of Coach Mike Denney

Coach Mike Denney
(ST. LOUIS, MO) - Maryville University has announced its intention to field a varsity wrestling program that will compete in NCAA Division II as an independent during the 2011-2012 competitive season. The University has hired legendary wrestling coach Mike Denney to establish the team, effective June 1, 2011.

Denney, whose teams have won three consecutive NCAA Division II National Championships and five in the past six seasons, most recently coached at the University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO). UNO recently announced that it will eliminate its wrestling program as a result of joining NCAA Division I athletics next year.

"Maryville is faced with an extraordinary opportunity, to say the least," said Mark Lombardi, PhD, president of Maryville. "To create a new varsity athletic program and turn it over to the best coach in our nation is certainly a coup for our University. We enthusiastically welcome Coach Denney to our Maryville community and to St. Louis, and look forward to the beginning of a winning wrestling tradition."

Denney recently was voted 2011 InterMat Coach of the Year. This award recognizes the top college wrestling coach across all NCAA divisions as determined by a vote by InterMat writers and executives. He was named the NCAA Division II Wrestling Coach of the Year in 1981, 1991 and 2009.

Denney coached at UNO for 32 seasons. He possesses a career dual record of 314-111-5 (.730). During that stretch, Denney claimed seven national titles: his first in 1991, three in a row from 2004-2006 and in the past three seasons (2009-2011). UNO finished in the NCAA Division II top 10 for all but one season during his tenure. Included in that run are 23 top three finishes and 27 top five placements.

"It isn't every day that an experienced coach gets the chance to create a college wrestling program from scratch, but that's exactly the opportunity I've been blessed to receive at Maryville University," said Denney. "I'm excited to move to Maryville, along with many of my current student-athletes, so we can replicate the type of success we've had in Omaha in St. Louis. A lot of hard work lies ahead in establishing our new program, but we're confident in our ability to maintain high standards of excellence for our student-athletes on and off the mat."

Denney, who is known for his positive approach and his perseverance, believes that success in coaching results from passion for one's work. His philosophy is evidenced by the academic achievements of his wrestlers: 47 have been recognized as NCAA Division II Wrestling Coaches Association Academic All-Americans during his coaching tenure at UNO.

Denney was a four-year starter in football and wrestling at Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell, South Dakota. He was inducted into the Dakota Wesleyan Athletic Hall of Fame in 1988 and NCAA Division II Hall of Fame in 1999.

About Maryville University
Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a four-year, private university located in St. Louis, Missouri and ranked by US News & World Report as one of America's Best Colleges in the Regional Universities - Midwest category. Maryville University students may choose from 50 academic programs, including degrees at the bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels. Approximately 3,700 students are enrolled through the College of Arts and Sciences, the John E. Simon School of Business, the School of Health Professions and the School of Education.

Maryville is completing its Provisional Year in the reclassification to NCAA Division II athletics. This is the final step/ year before Maryville moves to full active Division II membership, in reclassifying its 17 intercollegiate teams from Division III to Division II.

Maryville had been a member of NCAA Division III since 1978, and 2008-2009 was its final year of affiliation with the St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. Over its 30-year history, Saints athletic program teams have made 15 appearances in NCAA post-season tournaments.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: LancerLou] #189667 04/28/11 03:54 PM
I
ike Offline
I
I'm glad to see another program created and glad these young men will be able to stay together. Any idea of a rough percentage of guys that are going to make the transfer? I assume your son is Lou Ann?

Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: ike] #189669 04/28/11 04:07 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
Originally Posted By: ike
I'm glad to see another program created and glad these young men will be able to stay together. Any idea of a rough percentage of guys that are going to make the transfer? I assume your son is Lou Ann?

Yes, Matt is following Coach Denney to Maryville. I think most of the starting line-up is going. Of course, we have to replace 3 Senior National Champions and our 157 AA who is gong to Boise to be near his family. Coach already has lined up a few quality recruits to fill a couple of spots. (maybe even some from Kansas!) These are exciting times for our wrestling family!

Last edited by LancerLou; 04/28/11 04:08 PM.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: LancerLou] #189670 04/28/11 04:31 PM
I
ike Offline
I
So, Does that mean: Kezler, Cox, Dominguez, Sigman, and Baker?

I thought I read that Escamilla wasn't going to transfer due to him being so far along in his degree. I though Dominguez and Sigman may be in the same boat. That's a solid core. I assume some of the younger back-ups will make the transfer too. Good luck this year.

Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: ike] #189671 04/28/11 04:44 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
You are correct on all but Dominguez. He is in a specialized engineering program and although I think he would love to wrestle at Maryville, his field of study doesn't allow him to transfer. He will focus on Greco, his forte.

We also have returning AA Terrell McKinney who was injured last year, but is now healthy & ready to wrestle. A couple of quality back-ups will step in and fill spots.

I think Coach Denney will sign a couple of excellent JUCO or transfers that will make us a real contender.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: LancerLou] #189673 04/28/11 04:50 PM
I
ike Offline
I
I forgot about McKinney, he's good. No Esai, that hurts. I'm interested to see who transfers. Keep us posted!

Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: ike] #189696 04/29/11 06:46 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Very good news.

Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: smokeycabin] #189704 04/29/11 05:38 PM
S
Spladle U Offline
S
One of the transfers at 149 is a former DI wrestler and a JUCO National Champ. Trust and believe that Maryville will have a very solid national level team.

Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: Spladle U] #189707 04/29/11 06:56 PM
I
ike Offline
I
Josh Kratovil huh? I remember watching him spank Vinny Pisani in the finals...he's tough.

Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: ike] #189709 04/29/11 07:52 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
I don't think that's the name. It is a little difficult now because as this has never been done before in the NCAA, the LOI process apparently doesn't apply. I am not sure that the school can make any announcement until the wrestler is actually enrolled. At least that is what my son's football roommates told him. The individual wrestlers can make their own commitment as Matt did on the following interview.

Maverick Wrestling On The Move
http://www.ketv.com/r/27710364/detail.html?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4dba21d633821b09%2C0#COMMENTTOP

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: LancerLou] #189714 04/29/11 10:47 PM
S
Spladle U Offline
S
Actually Lancer Lou, Ike is right. That is the right name and yes he is a stud. Wonder how Ike got it right?

Re: Maryville, MO the new UNO [Re: Spladle U] #189715 04/29/11 11:13 PM
I
ike Offline
I
There weren't many possibilities. 141 and 149 NJCAA champs over the past two years....didn't figure Coach Denney would go any deeper in the woodwork than that. Only two of them have wrestled DI that I'm aware of and I didn't figure Sanja would transfer to a DII school after being a DI AA this year. I did scratch my head on that for a second though since his coach left American for the OU job. Also, the area he's from was a good hint too. Yeah, I would think Kratovil will be an AA this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 153 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,954
Posts250,390
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)