Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... #197871 01/31/12 02:59 AM
R
Ron Burgundy Offline OP
OP Offline
R
If the bottom guy is covering up and clearly just trying not to get turned......who gets the stalling call? Top man for not being able to turn him? or bottom guy for failure to initiate any moves that could possibly result in him getting out of position and risking backpoints?

Once the top man gets warned for stalling and gives up a point, its amazing how the bottom guy is always revived with a sudden burst of energy and sometimes able to escape. But is it really fair to penalize the top man in this situation if he is doing a good job of riding and occasionally working out to the side to try a pinning combination?

Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: Ron Burgundy] #197874 01/31/12 03:15 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
If he's off the hips and working to turn the bottom wrestler with a variety of moves (ie. not just a 2on1 or a half w/ a spiral ride) then it should be the bottom guy pretty plain and simple.

The harder thing to call is when the top man has a 2on1 and doesn't come off the hips but keeps taking the bottom man to his shoulder's but they don't break 90 (almost to NF criteria), who then is stalling? Is it stalling?

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: Bronco Wrestler] #197876 01/31/12 03:37 AM
Beeson Offline
If he doesnt come off of the hips it is stalling. If he came off of the hips, that may be all he needed to do to turn the bottom man.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: Beeson] #197881 01/31/12 11:24 AM
R
Ron Burgundy Offline OP
OP Offline
R
So Alex....you're telling me that the 2-on-1 is not a pinning combination? And you claim to be from western kansas!!

Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: Ron Burgundy] #197885 01/31/12 12:50 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Ron Burgundy
So Alex....you're telling me that the 2-on-1 is not a pinning combination? And you claim to be from western kansas!!

doesn't matter whether it is a pinning combo or not, the top man has to come off the hips.

each referee calls stalling different, the important thing to know is when you get warned............ change what you are doing or not doing.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: HEADUP] #197892 01/31/12 01:24 PM
lazyman_1 Offline
Nobody in kansas calls stalling anyway. kids could probably ride the hips and get away with it in 99% of time.

Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: Bronco Wrestler] #197893 01/31/12 02:00 PM
J
Joe Knecht Offline
J
Originally Posted By: Bronco Wrestler
If he's off the hips and working to turn the bottom wrestler with a variety of moves (ie. not just a 2on1 or a half w/ a spiral ride) then it should be the bottom guy pretty plain and simple.

You are saying if they are out to the side and running a spiral (half, claw, whatever) to the head; that is stalling? I've rarely (not sure if I've ever seen it called prior to this weekend in Salina) seen this called, even at the college level.

I could understand that position if he was behind and covering hips, but no when he's out to the side/front working for the turn.

Joe Knecht
(913) 709-9875
Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: lazyman_1] #197894 01/31/12 02:03 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: lazyman_1
Nobody in kansas calls stalling anyway. kids could probably ride the hips and get away with it in 99% of time.

Two reasons they wont call it. 1) They dont understand what stalling is. 2) They are afraid to make the call, just plain and simply SCARED!

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: lazyman_1] #197895 01/31/12 02:05 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
I know this is the high school page, but I was hoping this would come up sometime. At Salina this past weekend, I seen many wrestlers lacing the ankle, and half @$$ trying to run a 3/4 nelson. The bottom kid would flatten out to avoid this, the top wrestler would go back to the hips, the bottom wrestler would build back up, and the top wrestler would again half @$$ try a 3/4 nelson, and this went on for 2/1/2 periods. According to the rule, the top wrestler is moving off of the hips, and the bottom wreslter is avoiding gettign turned, but yet continued to keep building a base, eventhough the top wreslter never attempted to really turn him, just tried to look busy. Is this stalling? I wouldnt want to be the official making the call on either wrestler, becuase someone is going to jump all over you for calling their wrestler for stalling.

Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: Beeson] #197896 01/31/12 02:16 PM
lazyman_1 Offline
Originally Posted By: Beeson
Originally Posted By: lazyman_1

Two reasons they wont call it. 1) They dont understand what stalling is. 2) They are afraid to make the call, just plain and simply SCARED!

AGREED!

Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: L.Geyer] #197897 01/31/12 02:20 PM
lazyman_1 Offline
Originally Posted By: L.Geyer
I know this is the high school page, but I was hoping this would come up sometime. At Salina this past weekend, I seen many wrestlers lacing the ankle, and half @$$ trying to run a 3/4 nelson. The bottom kid would flatten out to avoid this, the top wrestler would go back to the hips, the bottom wrestler would build back up, and the top wrestler would again half @$$ try a 3/4 nelson, and this went on for 2/1/2 periods. According to the rule, the top wrestler is moving off of the hips, and the bottom wreslter is avoiding gettign turned, but yet continued to keep building a base, eventhough the top wreslter never attempted to really turn him, just tried to look busy. Is this stalling? I wouldnt want to be the official making the call on either wrestler, becuase someone is going to jump all over you for calling their wrestler for stalling.

Avoiding to get turned is stalling. If your not trying to be offensive - you are stalling. sounds like you need some work on bottom position.

Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: lazyman_1] #197904 01/31/12 03:07 PM
B
back in the day Offline
B

My experience is the calling of stalling changes as we get into regionals and state.

Suddenly- warnings abound - but during the year, you have to be running away from the guy to get a stalling call or the officail waits until the last 2 seconds of the match with the first warning.

Call it quick and make it stick. All year long.

Heavy Heights - OMG It has come down to who ever wins the toss gets the win in the last OT. Call them both for stalling and put a fire to their feet to make some offense.

The older I get the better I was!
Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: lazyman_1] #197923 01/31/12 04:07 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
I agree that both guys need to be offensive, but just hanging on the head of the bottom guy, and keeping the ankle laced for 2 or more periods, and winning the match 2-0, with the initial take down, and then taking top when it is your choice, and riding the ankle again, I dont see this as being offesive either. But on the other had, I agree the bottom wreslter needs to light a fire under his butt and start trying things to get out. I am not referencing any particular match with this, I just have seen this with multiple matches over the year, and seen many of these at Salina. I would not have an issue if both wrestlers got dinged for stalling as niether of them are really working offesive moves.

Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: back in the day] #197924 01/31/12 04:11 PM
W
wrestle nuts Offline
W
I did see more stalling calls in Garden City this past weekend then I have all year.

Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: wrestle nuts] #197953 01/31/12 05:53 PM
coach craig Offline
Stalling calls are something that High School officials have a hard time making consistanty. Now look at colligate officials and they make the call much more consistantly. Any ideas why? Does anyone think this correlates with the consistancy of stalemate calls? THis keeps the action going. I have always felt that stalling is a call that has been treated as a judgement call and not a rule book call. It is defined pretty clearly. The biggest mistake made at the high school level is the fact that it is not called consitantly until the end of the season and at the end of matches.

Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: coach craig] #197974 01/31/12 06:55 PM
W
wrestlingspectat Offline
W
Originally Posted By: coach craig
Stalling calls are something that High School officials have a hard time making consistanty. Now look at colligate officials and they make the call much more consistantly. Any ideas why? Does anyone think this correlates with the consistancy of stalemate calls? THis keeps the action going. I have always felt that stalling is a call that has been treated as a judgement call and not a rule book call. It is defined pretty clearly. The biggest mistake made at the high school level is the fact that it is not called consitantly until the end of the season and at the end of matches.

Perhaps stalling in the neutral position, but certainly NOT in the offensive wrestler position. In fact you can actually earn a point in college for "riding" which at the high school level is often classified as stalling. In my opinion stalling isn't called as consistently at the high school level, because each official sees things a little differently than others. In the western part of the state they believe that running a 2 on 1 and attempting a tilt every 15-25 seconds means they are working for a fall, whereas those on the eastern part of the state expect the top man to work off the hips. And that is not to suggest fault with wrestlers or coaches regardless of situation, it is simply the style of wrestling that has been allowed.

In may be of interest for people to realize that the NFHS Wrestling Rule book does NOT mention a stipulation of the offensive wrestler moving off of his opponents hips. You simply won't find it in writing on the rules book. This however is the metric that many officials across the state use to judge stalling, and frankly as long as that is consistant among officials everywhere, then it shouldn't really be a controversial situation.

The reason why people perceive differences in the way stalling is called in the post season is because different officials from different parts of the state referee those tournaments whereas during the regular season it is typical the same group of officials refereeing the same tournament.

Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: wrestlingspectat] #197979 01/31/12 07:15 PM
B
back in the day Offline
B
"The reason why people perceive differences in the way stalling is called in the post season is because different officials from different parts of the state referee those tournaments whereas during the regular season it is typical the same group of officials refereeing the same tournament."

we see the same officials in 6a. It has more to do with the urgency of the moment.

The older I get the better I was!
Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: wrestlingspectat] #197980 01/31/12 07:21 PM
lazyman_1 Offline
Originally Posted By: wrestlingspectat
Originally Posted By: coach craig

Perhaps stalling in the neutral position, but certainly NOT in the offensive wrestler position. In fact you can actually earn a point in college for "riding" which at the high school level is often classified as stalling. In my opinion stalling isn't called as consistently at the high school level, because each official sees things a little differently than others. In the western part of the state they believe that running a 2 on 1 and attempting a tilt every 15-25 seconds means they are working for a fall, whereas those on the eastern part of the state expect the top man to work off the hips. And that is not to suggest fault with wrestlers or coaches regardless of situation, it is simply the style of wrestling that has been allowed.

In may be of interest for people to realize that the NFHS Wrestling Rule book does NOT mention a stipulation of the offensive wrestler moving off of his opponents hips. You simply won't find it in writing on the rules book. This however is the metric that many officials across the state use to judge stalling, and frankly as long as that is consistant among officials everywhere, then it shouldn't really be a controversial situation.

The reason why people perceive differences in the way stalling is called in the post season is because different officials from different parts of the state referee those tournaments whereas during the regular season it is typical the same group of officials refereeing the same tournament.

Yes, in college you get a point for riding but the refs are still making the top guy work. They call stalling in the top and bottom position all the time. To force the action. Collegiate refs are also pretty quick to call a stalemate if no action is taking place by both parties. I don't think anybody is saying that riding is stalling as it is important for every wrestler to be able to do. If your not working then you are stalling.

Quicker stalemate calls would also be nice to see.

Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: Joe Knecht] #198024 02/01/12 01:46 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Joe Knecht
Originally Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

You are saying if they are out to the side and running a spiral (half, claw, whatever) to the head; that is stalling? I've rarely (not sure if I've ever seen it called prior to this weekend in Salina) seen this called, even at the college level.

I could understand that position if he was behind and covering hips, but no when he's out to the side/front working for the turn.

Joe, if he is SPIRAL RIDING (ie. just riding) and not really attempting to turn the bottom wrestler he is stalling just as he would be if he were riding parallel (ie. covering the hips).

Covering the hips was the wrong language to use when I first worded the response, the better response would be if he was riding parallel.

You have to be physically working to turn the opponent while at the same time not preventing the other wrestler from attempting to improve his position if that makes any sense.

Remember I'm just one of many opinions and not necessarily right, and probably wrong but willing to share some insight.

Alex

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: Bronco Wrestler] #198029 02/01/12 02:35 AM
Cokeley Offline
The worse call in wrestling is the double stall call. Absolutely ridiculous.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 147 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)