Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: RichardDSalyer] #198602 02/07/12 01:05 AM
R
Rford Offline
R
Originally Posted By: RichardDSalyer
Originally Posted By: Rford

To be clear, the referee has NO business coaching ("told the wrestlers up front that they were required to make every effort to stay in bounds,...,") the wrestlers. If the wrestler pushes the other out of bounds, ding him, if the wrestler is stalling, ding him. The referee should be conscious of all the rules, and call all consistently.

Based on what I have read regarding your previous statements in this thread on stalling and this last statement you have competency issues and I question if your are qualified to officiate at any level.

I'm pretty sure you aren't the only one holding that opinion of my competency or my abilities. I'm working hard to be JV Official of the Year. But this thread is about stalling and I hope not so much about me....but since I only told both the kids what the rule was...."you are required to stay in bounds or it is stalling" I think I'm fine on that point under the rules. This was before the whistle blew, so I don't see that as coaching the wrestlers. It would be coaching if I told one wrestler to do something...such as "Red, you need to improve" or "Green, work in bounds." That's direction to one wrestler and is not allowed (but happens often). Telling them both to do something is usually considered preventative officiating and is encouraged. And in this situation, it worked great to prevent stalling. So I'm a little confused by your interpretion of the rule.

While I'm sure I have lots of problems, the problem raised in this thread ("calling all officials"), and the reason for the discussion, is that stalling seems to be a concern. So I hoped to generate some thoughtul discussion and put out there a technique that worked well.

In my earlier post on stalling I said it was just my opinion....I know the stalling rules. Heck, I know most of the rules because they gave me a book with my patch. The problem is, as this thread demonstrates, calling stalling is not consistent. I was attempting to explain why I thought that was the case.

You can criticize my opinion and my technique, but unless I kicked your cat or gave you a wedgie at some point in the past, I don't know why you'd think this was a post that warranted a personal attack for expressing my views. Well, actually, I do, because I read the posts here often and a lot of those posts are attacks of a personal naturerather than a discussion of the topic. But you sign your name, so I guess that's within the rules. I make general comments from time to time about folks, in general, (coaches usually, sometimes parents) but try to avoid calling individuals names because while it is a forum, the participants are a pretty small group and calling each other names isn't really polite and doesn't move the conversation in a positive direction.

Oh, by the way, getting back to the rules....pushing a wrestler out of bounds is probably not stalling, so if you meant it was and I did "ding" him for stalling, that would be suspect (but often made) call. It is usually "avoiding wrestling" and considered a technical violation and a point, not a stalling warning. But it doesn't get called much either and when it does most officials take the easy out and call stalling....another example of part of the problem with the whole area of keeping the action moving.

So, to sum this up. I came to this wrestling forum and read how stalling was a big problem. So I then used a technique of telling both wrestlers to stay in bounds because it was stalling to go out. They did what I told them to do and they did not stall. The matches moved along, which is what we fans, coaches, and officials, want to happen. But a man I've never met calls me "incompetent." I need to look up the meaning of that word....doesn't sound like it means "well read and thoughtful."

Bob Ford
Official

Last edited by Rford; 02/07/12 01:08 PM.
Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: WillyM] #198604 02/07/12 01:18 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
Richard, I though Rford made some excellent posts. He hit on the realities of the situation. It also appears he has made an effort to educate himself. I guess next time he should run his thoughts through you first. No wonder most refs will not get on here and give us some insite to their thinking - too many who don't or can't do the job, telling them how to do it..... John

Also, just a question - when top man rides with a leg hooked, pretending to work on a cradel, and then complaining that the bottom man won't work. Who is stalling?/

Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: WillyM] #198613 02/07/12 02:06 AM
R
Rford Offline
R
We watched a couple of these NJWO videos mentioned above at our last meeting. For those that don't officiate, they might provide some insight into how officials try to make sure stalling is called correctly in the context of the match situation. Also, the official describes how he explains his approach to the rule to the wrestlers so that they know how he is going to call it on his mat.

Last edited by Rford; 02/07/12 03:01 AM.
Re: What is Stalling? Calling all Referees.... [Re: John Johnson] #198726 02/08/12 12:52 AM
R
Rford Offline
R
Originally Posted By: John Johnson
Richard, I though Rford made some excellent posts. He hit on the realities of the situation. It also appears he has made an effort to educate himself. I guess next time he should run his thoughts through you first. No wonder most refs will not get on here and give us some insite to their thinking - too many who don't or can't do the job, telling them how to do it..... John

Also, just a question - when top man rides with a leg hooked, pretending to work on a cradel, and then complaining that the bottom man won't work. Who is stalling?/

Thank you for your support...I've been called worse. Like others on this forum, from time to time I'll throw out ideas as "food for thought" and I'm surprised sometimes that people go nuts.

Onto your stalling question, like so much in wrestling, you have to have a feel for the match to make the right call. Hooking the leg/ankle while riding always needs to be watched with suspicion as it might be used to stop the action. Context matters...is the rider ahead in the match and what period is it? Has he been the aggressor so far? "What's the bottom man doing" as they say. Is he sneaking looks at the clock? Does he put a hold on and release it as soon as the bottom man starts to work? How long has he been trying this same move with no success. How good are the wrestlers? How evenly matched? And so on. Bottom line, any hold or position can turn into a stalling situation.

I'll give you and example I witnessed that was similar to what you posted. A kid was in a state-qualifing match and it was late and the match was tied. He had the legs in but wasn't going to be able to score and he lifts his torso off the wrestler's back and gives the "what's up" sign with both arms...the bottom kid felt the pressure release but couldn't move in time and the top guy drops back onto him. And of course he couldn't see what the top guy was doing. After the second "what's up" gesture the ref hits the bottom kid for stalling, and then pointed him shortly thereafter. Top man wins by totally stalling and play acting. But it looked like the top kid was working hard while the bottom man was just based up. He couldn't move because of the leg ride. I'm not faulting the ref, this was a big match, the top man appeared to be working hard, but he was only working hard at making it look like the bottom guy was stalling.

Last edited by Rford; 02/08/12 12:55 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 182 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)