Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged [Re: Flagrant] #204437 03/28/12 08:39 PM
B
Butch Drylie Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Bighead i think your info is wrong. I have talked personally to some of the panel members and none of them used a coin toss as part of there criteria. I know Mike Church and if thats how it was done im sure he would have contacted me and said that. Cash did lose to Luke Bean twice this year. He was the better wrestler, someone has to win and some one has to lose on the mat when the wistle blows. I am sure i never said anything bad about Luke on here if i did i appologize to him and his family. I dont know where rev came up with that one. As far as the rev is concerned he is still keeping the Gospel alive.
Thanks again rev.

Butch Drylie
785-650-4404

Butch Drylie
Re: Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged [Re: Butch Drylie] #204439 03/28/12 09:00 PM
B
Butch Drylie Offline OP
OP Offline
B
As for every one that thinks this is a dead horse. I have had over 50 phone calls over this thread already. 16 of those calls have been from High School coaches. They all said that they hope some good comes out of this. Talking with them thats where i came up with the idea of having some one contact the coaches to remind them to turn in there bio sheets and also they came up with idea about getting more coaches in on the vote. With having High School Coaches backing me on this also, maybe the word is getting out. If we get enough involved we can have a change for the better. I will ride it untill i get cant get back on any more. Some one once told me if you get throwed off the horse you have to get back on.

Thanks
Butch Drylie
785-650-4404

Butch Drylie
Re: Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged [Re: Butch Drylie] #204511 03/29/12 02:09 PM
J
jamesrenfro Offline
J
There are a couple of things that I would like to clarify and hopefully help put this situation to rest.

On March 23, I contacted Mr. Drylie and discussed the matter of his son not being selected for the Sr Classic. He told me the facts that made him believe why his son should have been selected. I was unaware of some of the information and I came away believing that he had many valid points. I expressed that with him but in the end, I did not believe that his criteria was enough to change the decision made by the committee. I told Mr Drylie that the committee may have made a mistake; I apologized to Mr Drylie and felt as if we were moving in the direction that we would have to agree to disagree.

The athletes were selected on a state champ basis. I need to clarify a statement first made. The kids that did not win titles, FINALISTS, were all given info sheets and asked would they be interested in wrestling in the SR Classic. Mr Drylie says his son turned one in. I never saw his son's sheet and because of this, I believed that we had the next best available athlete due to the fact that the young man from Lawrence had a sheet in the paperwork.

I believe that Mr Drylie has a valid point; he wants to make the organization better. With that being said, I have a few suggestions. JOIN THE ORGANIZATION. You can’t make a difference if all you do is complain when a situation does not turn out the way you wished. The information to join is posted on the Kansas Wrestling website. Every year at our fall clinic, we have elections. I would also like to encourage these “15 coaches that have contacted you” to put their name in the mix and run for a position. Last year I believe we had 3 open positions and had 4 people express interest in those positions.

At this time, we have a solid membership, in my opinion. It can always be better and hopefully this thread will cause a desire to join the KWCA. 37 out of 84 123A coaches belong. 31 out of 64 4A coaches belong. 17 out of 32 5A coaches belong and 11 out of 32 6A coaches belong. We have a system that definitely has some flaws, but if coaches follow the procedure, we don’t need to send out a verification email for this event. IF YOUR KID WANTS TO WRESTLE, FILL OUT THE SHEET. We have email list for all current members, but my question to you- quick off the top of your head, who is the head coach at , Whitewater?, Horton, Immaculata, Rosalia?? Etc. Will they be there next year , did they change their email address, a million different things and excuses why they did not get the notification and how the SR Classic does not do enough, Blah, Blah, Blah. Follow the procedure and there may be a few hick- ups every once in awhile, but the system is getting better and we are doing everything we can and working to get better.

Finally , Mr Drylie. As soon as I receive your membership, I have a job for you. I am making a Presidential Decision, without board approval. You now have the job of obtaining every email address of every coach in the state for the purpose of being able to contact them for the 2013 SR Classic. Please verify these addresses and get them to me as soon as possible. That way if there is a mishap again, we can say we did it your way, and it still boiled down to the committee getting the information it needed from the athlete, coach, parent, and tournament officials etc. Thank you for your time in advance and I look forward to receiving the list in the near future.
James A Renfro
jrenfro@usd447.org

TCOB
Re: Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged [Re: jamesrenfro] #204513 03/29/12 02:22 PM
M
M.Church_AD Offline
M
To Start the list:

Michael Church
Wichita Heights High School
Mchurch@USD259.net
Twitter Name: @CoachChurch
#Grindin

I'm in VA Beach now.. let me know if more info is needed!

Re: Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged [Re: jamesrenfro] #204514 03/29/12 02:41 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
I'm old enough to remember when the invites were delivered via carrier pigeon! One misguided youth with a bb gun and we had a BUNCH of pissed off parents.

Re: Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged [Re: sportsfan02] #204518 03/29/12 02:54 PM
F
Flagrant Offline
F
When these finalist get the paperwork how long do they have to turn it in. because if they are looking at wrestling for the state championship, I am sure an all star duel a month later is the last thing on their mind. I was just wondering if they have a week or so afterwards or is it something they turn in at the state tournament.

Re: Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged [Re: Flagrant] #204521 03/29/12 03:04 PM
J
jamesrenfro Offline
J
The papers are picked up at the conclusion of the state tournament. Surely with the Semi finals done on Friday, All day Saturday, you could find 5 minutes to fill out a piece of paper that would enable you wrestle in the oldest all star dual in the state of Kansas. I was never good enough to wrestle in this event, but my little brother was and as excited as he and my family were to watch him win a state title, we and his coaches found a way to make sure he had everthing he needed turned in for the finals turned in. And if I remember correctly, an email address of at least one KWCA board member was printed on the information sheet handed out. So if you happened to miss the collection, I am confident that they could have been emailed after the tournament as well. We met for the selection in Manhattan March 4- 1 week and 1 day after the state tournament. So I guess in reality, they could have done it the following week.

Last edited by jamesrenfro; 03/29/12 03:10 PM.

TCOB
Re: Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged [Re: Flagrant] #204522 03/29/12 03:05 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Flagrant
When these finalist get the paperwork how long do they have to turn it in. because if they are looking at wrestling for the state championship, I am sure an all star duel a month later is the last thing on their mind. I was just wondering if they have a week or so afterwards or is it something they turn in at the state tournament.

either way by the time they are a senior they need to know that Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

if they wait until the week before to send out admition information to colleges, they will be sadly disappointed.

Butch, congrats on your new position, I hope you have much success.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged [Re: HEADUP] #204553 03/29/12 09:22 PM
B
Butch Drylie Offline OP
OP Offline
B
jamesrenfro very nice post. I will be more than happy to do this for you. As I have found out there is a big communication gap in the organization as a whole. Not just the senior calssic. I will do my best to have that list for you. Please call me as i have a few questions on this. Going forward from this point on we will work as a team not as enimies. I think we are making progress now.

Thanks
Butch Drylie
785-650-4404

Last edited by Butch Drylie; 03/29/12 09:22 PM.

Butch Drylie
Re: Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged [Re: Butch Drylie] #204571 03/30/12 02:07 AM
J
jamesrenfro Offline
J
Butch, I just got home from a JH track meet and I am leaving at 3:30 am for the airport to fly out to Virginia Beach with my brother. I will call you Monday morning on my return.

TCOB
Re: Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged [Re: Butch Drylie] #204573 03/30/12 02:35 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Butch Drylie
jamesrenfro very nice post. I will be more than happy to do this for you. As I have found out there is a big communication gap in the organization as a whole. Not just the senior calssic. I will do my best to have that list for you. Please call me as i have a few questions on this. Going forward from this point on we will work as a team not as enimies. I think we are making progress now.

Thanks
Butch Drylie
785-650-4404

Don't recreate the wheel. Brett Kramer has a nice e-mail list for almost every coach. Also, you guys may be over thinking this. Just look at my AC rankings next year and start inviting. If you have a question on criteria, e-mail me. This is not hard to get the best guys matched up. It will just take phone calls to gain comittments. I do it every year for other events.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged [Re: Chief Renegade] #204579 03/30/12 03:56 AM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
Eric does a better job than anyone I have ever known to keep up with all the results throughout the season. Even though his list is not officially a KWCA-sponsored action, it is pretty darn solid and based on good results/criteria/data from the season.

His list is at the very least a great starting point.

Re: Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged [Re: Kit Harris] #204580 03/30/12 04:23 AM
M
M.Church_AD Offline
M
It is hard to get the best guys matched up when some of the best decline or threaten to decline invites if you pair them up against certain people. Just saying.... Yes it happens.

Re: Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged [Re: M.Church_AD] #204592 03/30/12 10:53 AM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Eric,
I agree it makes the most since to use your AC rankings, as these are pretty accurate most of the time. Of course everyone is not going to agree with them either, but at least there is set criteria for the list.

Michael,,
I agree with you as well that many are going to decline because they just don't want to do it, or refuse if they have to wrestling someone they don't want to. But if they are asked and they decline they have no reason to dispute who is wrestling in the event.

I am glad we are getting some ideas out there, as this is the way to keep improving this great sport.

Re: Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged [Re: L.Geyer] #204648 03/30/12 03:10 PM
Gary Seibel Offline
The panel has always done a terrific job of selection and they strive to showcase athletes.

I wasn't aware there was room to dispute an invitation only event. Just like the Shrine Bowl, selections are made. People not invited are disappointed but it happens and it is not personal.

Re: Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged [Re: Gary Seibel] #204678 03/30/12 06:39 PM
Mahan Offline
Is selection criteria based on senior season only, or does the committee take into account career accomplishments?

Re: Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged [Re: Mahan] #205033 04/04/12 06:20 PM
B
Butch Drylie Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Jamesrenfro did you forget to give me a call? I have not heard from you yet.

Thanks
Butch Drylie
785-650-4404

Butch Drylie
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 139 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,933
Posts250,364
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)