Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Salina Thread [Re: Lucas Baker] #213403 02/06/13 02:31 AM
P
Powercat Offline
P
There was some questionable calls throughout the day on mat 16 I believe. One match included the ref raising the wrong hand of a wrestler at the end of the match and standing by his decision until myself and the other coach told him my wrestler won. This was long after the head official was called over because if his "questionable" calls. But regardless Of all the criticism i really enjoy salina as it offers great competition for all wrestlers

Josh Martinez
Re: Salina Thread [Re: Lucas Baker] #213407 02/06/13 02:48 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
lucas i wish more refs would award back points from a standing position. i see quite a few times by the time the ref gets into position they could have had a 3 count then they dont award any points cause it took to long to get into position.

Scott Bockover
Re: Salina Thread [Re: Lucas Baker] #213416 02/06/13 05:59 AM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Lucas Baker
I know its been a week ago, but I think it should be known, There was a kid from Nebraska that came down to wrestle in the TOC, I guess the power went out or the score clock went down or was shut off temporarily after the end of his 2nd period. The official called the kids to the center of the mat raised one kids hand and sent them off. The coach for this Nebraska kid ran out on the mat and told the official they only wrestled two periods. The official said nope they wrestled three periods the match was over. The coach grabbed his video camera and showed the official that they only wrestled two periods, by this time the next match had started, The official said sorry but its over now, So he went to the head table and showed them the tape. They basically said sorry but we cannot do anything about it now. I was so shocked I forgot to ask who won the match, do you guys think they will drive down here next year after that lil mixup?

I did not ask what mat this happened on. He did tell me the Official on mat 12 called a pin on one of his kids, without getting down on the mat to check, further review of the video shows the left shoulder blade was three inches off the mat, It also shows the official giving back points from a standing position......

One of the few times you will see me agree with Lucas....the Officiating at Salina is the worst of any tournament...Novice or Open. The Tournament does not need to be fixed. The Bi-Centinial Center does not need to be contacted. Just get better officials.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Salina Thread [Re: Beeson] #213487 02/07/13 12:50 AM
S
Stoudman Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Beeson:

It seems like there are at least 60 other people that disagree with your comment above and think the tournament needs to be fixed.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/bicentennial-center-changes-for-youth-wrestling.html

It would be cool if you were to start a petition at gopetition.com and see if you hold the majority with your comment not to change it. I do agree with you that the officiating needs to change. You can't pay less money than other tournaments to the guys in stripes to officiate 1400 kids, drive a couple of hours, stay in hotels and buy their own water and food. Eudora paid the officials more money than Salina and they only had 380 kids. Eudora let them go through the concession line as many times as they wanted at no charge. Not saying that the Eudora Tournament was the best tournament ever, but they did not charge a gate, got most wrestlers at least 4 matches and offered healthy alternatives for food and the best pulled pork sandwich in the Country.

Mr. Zimmerman has been provided a public forum to let the wrestling community know what is being done to change the Salina flaws. I know there are several people that are waiting for his response as we are pulling for him.

Cheers!

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Stoudman] #213490 02/07/13 01:37 AM
Beeson Offline
Have any of these 60 people been to USJOC, Tulsa Kickoff, Tulsa Nationals, Liberty Nationals or any other BIG tournament. This is probably the largest tournament in the State, barring STATE. The prices are comparable, the food options are comparable, the security is a little strict, the competition is the best in the state, and the officiating leaves some to be desired (ALOT). I think the Salina group does a great job. Ark City will continue to support them full heartedly. Without even checking, just knowing the coaches of these clubs: Brawlers, East Kansas, Derby, Garden City, Maize, and all the other clubs that bring the numbers and the competition WILL BE THERE. It's a good tournament, and for good tournaments your going to have to pay.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Beeson] #213492 02/07/13 01:54 AM
J
jerry davis Offline
J
Hey guys that horse is dead quit beating it.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: jerry davis] #213500 02/07/13 02:27 AM
C
crimsonblue Offline
C
Did any of those other big tournaments have cheese for their hamburgers? I heard one of the refs complaining so thought I would ask.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Beeson] #213501 02/07/13 02:31 AM
S
Stoudman Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Not sure if the 60 people have been to the other tournaments, but one can only assume as some that signed the petition actually offer controverted facts that show opposition to your comment.

Start a petition to keep the tournament the same. If you are happy with things; great! Just not sure you have an audience that supports your comments. Nothing personal, just looking at the big picture and want to offer you an opportunity to allow people to voice an opinion. I suspect you probably won't start it as you may have a gut feeling of what your support may be, but please, start one. We could be completely out of line with a post that has over 6000 views. Lets try to get this to 25000 reads! We will end up with the baddest tournament in Kansas.

PS: Your comment about the big clubs is not accurate. A club in the east was certainly not a fan of the security, table workers, or concessions.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Stoudman] #213503 02/07/13 02:45 AM
S
Stoudman Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Dead Horses = Dog food and Purina has not yet called. Lets get some answers before we turn things over to the Elmers glue factory.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Stoudman] #213504 02/07/13 02:56 AM
in it to win it Offline
There once was a huge tournament for many years that WAS the HIGHLIGHT of the season......sadly it struggles.....THE WICHITA CLASSIC.

In it to win it.
Re: Salina Thread [Re: in it to win it] #213505 02/07/13 03:08 AM
B
Bones1768 Offline
B
Do you think that was because it was in horsebarns down there in wichita? Seems like the weekend of the classic, people either head to wichita or hays.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Bones1768] #213508 02/07/13 03:14 AM
in it to win it Offline
It used to be at Century 2, before Park City then with frisking, concession prices.....the same old situation. Other tournaments are starting to pick up the pace and offer great tournaments.

In it to win it.
Re: Salina Thread [Re: in it to win it] #213525 02/07/13 05:26 AM
H
HokaheyCoach Offline
H
Beeson I have been reading ur posts for years and ur clueless so ur post is meaningless...Stoudman... u are right.. the unhappy is the majority and if Beeson is even close to being accurate with the big clubs we can just change this to the Salina Big Club tourney because most will not return without change. We brought 17 and without change will not do so again. Maybe our club, East Kansas and a few others can organize a tourney at Haskell College in Lawrence and bring the heat on the east side. I think offering a tourney where we will commit to only the best referees, an open cooler policy and legit competition and have a 1000 kids get at it, will bring plenty and with time dissolve the TOC. Maize and Ark can put on their own show in the west but everyone knows where the numbers are. Not to mention Lawrence would attract many Nebraska and Missouri teams that would put Beeson's so called big club numbers to shame.

Originally Posted By: Bones1768
Do you think that was because it was in horsebarns down there in wichita? Seems like the weekend of the classic, people either head to wichita or hays.

Originally Posted By: in it to win it
It used to be at Century 2, before Park City then with frisking, concession prices.....the same old situation. Other tournaments are starting to pick up the pace and offer great tournaments.

Scott Walker

There are no losers in wrestling ...only winners & learners!
Re: Salina Thread [Re: HokaheyCoach] #213529 02/07/13 11:02 AM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: HokaheyCoach
Beeson I have been reading ur posts for years and ur clueless so ur post is meaningless... Maize and Ark can put on their own show in the west but everyone knows where the numbers are. Not to mention Lawrence would attract many Nebraska and Missouri teams that would put Beeson's so called big club numbers to shame.

My posts may be meaningless, and everyone knows where the numbers are. BUT the fact remains the competition is where the clubs that I mentioned are from. Maize, Derby, East Kansas, Bawlers, Young Guns, Garden City, Boo's School, Salina, and yes my beloved Ark City. These teams year in and year out are in the top 10 at Kids State. Those teams will continue to go and support Salina. So if everyone really wants to see where you stand before State, we will see you in Salina.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Beeson] #213535 02/07/13 12:52 PM
S
Stoudman Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hokahey, better yet, lets wake up the ghosts and gremlins and throw a wrestling party at Allen Fieldhouse. We could call it The Final Four Showdown. Coack Self can sign the winners bracket and Gus Johnson can MC it. Lol

Beeson I have to go with Hokahey, it only takes 5 minutes to start your petition, but as Phippen would say, "I don't think you have the berries to do it.". By the way things looked East Kansas could wrestle themselves and gain the same results that were had in Salina.

Rich, where are you at with your negotiations with the Bicentennial center? You hold the keys to the castle, please let the rest of us know if you plan to continue with your same direction or change venues.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Stoudman] #213536 02/07/13 01:01 PM
B
Bones1768 Offline
B
How are they going to change venues? There are no other places around salina that could handle a tournament this size. I think a couple of you should just stay home next year. I don't think they are going to miss your 17 wrestlers. And I might be wrong, but jimmy still wants Clayton to wrestle the best. So they will want to be at salina.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Bones1768] #213541 02/07/13 01:36 PM
Travis Phippen Offline
I'm not much for petititions, I let my spending dollar go where I believe it should go. As it stands a week after Tulsa in proximity Salina is the toughest tournament to go to and a good precursor to state. It has a lot of issues as described. I do agree with Beeson though that officials are the key to a good tournament. Concessions don't bother me because I rarely eat at a tournament. If my son wants a bottle of water or something to eat he can go to the car and grab it between rounds (almost 2 hours sometimes). Obviously these things are not the most convinient. Salina doesn't do nearly the price gauging as Brute Adiddas Nationals $90 to coach and $65 to wrestle, not to mention if you make finals and are out of town you have to stay an additional day. At State we are not allowed to bring in outside items either, nor can you at USA Nationals, Middle School Duals or Pre-Season Nationals in Iowa. Although they do not search you quite as extensively. Winter Nationals in Council Bluffs you have to purchase an AAU card for the event, and it is the same weekend as Newton and the Bobcat Classic. I can think of several things I don't like about specific tournament, but what draws me to them is the competition. Take into account when I was in High School I wrestled in a place called the "Pig Palace" in Ark City, it was a morton building with people sitting on folding chairs, not much for convinience, but good competition, also they probably would have let you bring in a six pack. Salina has always been one of my favorite tournaments. Does it have issues, yes, hopefully Zimmerman is doing what he can about the venue as I'm sure Will is since 6 under state will be there in a couple of weeks. If nothing changes, I would probably still return. If another tournament competes with it that has more to offer, I might consider it. As it stands you can't beat the toughness at the Salina TOC. The toughest bracket Cody has ever wrestled in was there 3 years ago. It had something like 6 Tulsa Placers and 12 state finalist in the bracket. It was pretty cool.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Bones1768] #213542 02/07/13 01:42 PM
S
Stoudman Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Who etched in stone that it NEEDS to be held in Salina?

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Travis Phippen] #213543 02/07/13 01:43 PM
JACD_Moison Offline
My brothers, we all know Rich and know he's not a crook - I know he will be working on getting issues resolved for next year. Economics are NOT good right now and this "recession" we are in doesn't make it any better. However, I DO think it's wrong for the Bi-Cent to "gouge" like they did. The security sucked, and the officiating... it just added salt to the wound. It is a good place to find out where you are before state agreed, but the simple fact of the matter, is that it NEEDS to improve...

1. Officiating - primary from all of the feedback
2. Concessions (it’s a 12+ hour tournament, not a 6-8 hour national tournament), my kids would rather eat hot dogs, but should have an option smile
3. Security – Remove the white glove and have some common sense RAMBO
4. Awards – Have you seen the Roller Series, Brute, AAU, Crown Series trophies? I mean seriously, if you’re going to compare the “venues”! Think there could be some better quality hardware
5. Internet and Track Wrestling – This would alleviate issues with people bouncing all over the place (at least 75%) finding out match numbers, results, and keep the aisles clear.
6. DON’T SELL A DAMNED WRSIT BAND TO GRANNY, MOMMY, AND UNCLE RONNIE!!!!!!!!! Only certified coaches holding a valid USAW coaches card – hell, even make it a Bronze certified event only!

Beeson, you are right (I didn’t really say that did I?) that probably 60% of the state champs come from the Wichita area

Steve, you are right, I will take my boys wherever the competition is, that’s my duty as a Father and coach to give my kids the experiences they need in life. If I didn’t, I (or we) would be the failure, not them.

Jerry, I swear I saw that horse wink at me, so I had to kick once more 

Also, you guys remember back in 2001 after those horrific attacks to the US? Remember how every gas station jacked up the prices of gas to 5+ dollars a gallon? I remember how ENRAGED I was at the oil companies for gouging people at the pumps… Truth is, I went back a week later and got my gas. However, it was a matter of convenience… Something to think about

Peace out my brothas and sistas!

Last edited by JACD_Moison; 02/07/13 01:44 PM.

Jimmy Moison - Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
785-224-7349 - jimmy.moison@gmail.com
Re: Salina Thread [Re: JACD_Moison] #213546 02/07/13 02:04 PM
JACD_Moison Offline
Hey everyone, this post is a new record I believe! Anyone that has posted gets a free $5 gift card to McDonalds in Kanorado Kansas!

Jimmy Moison - Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
785-224-7349 - jimmy.moison@gmail.com
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Derek Patterson), 160 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,380
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)