Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
State Tournament Officiating #217885 03/31/13 02:59 AM
JACD_Moison Offline OP
OP Offline
First, I would like to thank the officials who actually did a great job this weekend. Second, I would like to express my frustrations with the way the official on mat 8 on Friday acted and officiated. I'm not going to say any names, but I will tell you his number is #724. Any one that was on his mat can vouch for how horrible he officiated most of the matches (I welcome the rest of you officials to chime in, but you have no argument in this matter). He cost my son a match in the first round, then he developed an attitude and acted like I had no reason to be irate. These kids work hard all season (all year in our case) and it is disheartening to have an official ruin their hopes with a single, obvious, screwed up call. For those of you who witnessed the match, you know where I'm coming from (Bout 39 on mat 8). Before this match, he had the previous 4 and several others that had coaches up at the table arguing his calls. He was replaced and later moved to mat 3 where the first match he had coaches at the table. Then, he officiated the Chapionship matches...

Also, I think [incorrect official number removed] needs to check his credentials and remember he's not God and also realize that staring at some people and going up behind them and staring at them while they're coaching doesn't actually intimidate them, it pisses them off and should think before he makes that kind of future mistake again. Just because your an official doesn't give you the right to try to intimidate someone into saying the wrong thing to you just so you can eject them before they get a chance to explain anything (he did it at Salina as well).

Lastly, I would like to say I have never heard of so many potential dangerous calls and stalling calls in one single event.

Last edited by Joe Knecht; 04/02/13 01:32 PM. Reason: number provided was not an official at the state tournament.

Jimmy Moison - Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
785-224-7349 - jimmy.moison@gmail.com
Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: JACD_Moison] #217887 03/31/13 04:45 AM
T
tryingtobesilent Offline
T
I dont know if this was the same ref but match #106 highschool 160# semi final match, two evenly matched wrestlers, the eventual loser of the match got an obvious take down that the ref refused to acknowledge in the third period sending the match to overtime. we witnessed the same ref earlier reversing his calls because of coaches pulling out rule books and correcting him.

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: JACD_Moison] #217890 03/31/13 12:32 PM
B
blevinsrl Offline
B
Well said Jimmy!!! Those refs are from a particular part of the state and have no business at the state level. It happens at Salina and at the state tournament every year. I will say this for the referees in District 1, I have never felt like any of them try to intimidate the coaches or young wrestlers. I will leave my address and phone number in case the referee who was going around looking all the coches up and down and asking all day are you talking to me? wants to explain himself over the phone or in person.

Richard Blevins
1128 N Oak
Ottawa, KS 66067
785-248-6041

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: JACD_Moison] #217891 03/31/13 12:52 PM
A
ath618 Offline
A
Originally Posted By: JACD_Moison
First, I would like to thank the officials who actually did a great job this weekend. Second, I would like to express my frustrations with the way the official on mat 8 on Friday acted and officiated. I'm not going to say any names, but I will tell you his number is #724. Any one that was on his mat can vouch for how horrible he officiated most of the matches (I welcome the rest of you officials to chime in, but you have no argument in this matter). He cost my son a match in the first round, then he developed an attitude and acted like I had no reason to be irate. These kids work hard all season (all year in our case) and it is disheartening to have an official ruin their hopes with a single, obvious, screwed up call. For those of you who witnessed the match, you know where I'm coming from (Bout 39 on mat 8). Before this match, he had the previous 4 and several others that had coaches up at the table arguing his calls. He was replaced and later moved to mat 3 where the first match he had coaches at the table. Then, he officiated the Chapionship matches...

Also, I think #992 needs to check his credentials and remember he's not God and also realize that staring at some people and going up behind them and staring at them while they're coaching doesn't actually intimidate them, it pisses them off and should think before he makes that kind of future mistake again. Just because your an official doesn't give you the right to try to intimidate someone into saying the wrong thing to you just so you can eject them before they get a chance to explain anything (he did it at Salina as well).

Lastly, I would like to say I have never heard of so many potential dangerous calls and stalling calls in one single event.

#992 Is a High School Sophmore and did not officiate in the state series.

Ted Huck

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: ath618] #217895 03/31/13 01:02 PM
S
Sig Offline
S
I'm going to go out on a limb based on the description given and bet he was thinking of #135 not 992!!!

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: Sig] #217896 03/31/13 01:27 PM
JACD_Moison Offline OP
OP Offline
It's the read-headed Billy about 30 or so years old (possibly #135) - Thanks for the clarification Ted

I bet you're right Sig smile

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: JACD_Moison] #217897 03/31/13 02:32 PM
S
Sig Offline
S
It is, he was that way at Salina TOC also. I watched him stare down 3 coaches during the finals alone for about 10 seconds each time (he was back up official) talked to coaches like I talk to my 10 year old when I have told him to do something 10 times and have had enough. I get that it is a hard job and I don't do it but I have been around wrestling for 20+ years and best I can recall he is the worst I have ever seen based on presentation and attitude towards coaches. I will say he is technically very good just the outward presentation is horrible and that does make a impact on coaches. Treat everyone with respect until given an legit reason not to. Some of these coaches have won State High School titles and wrestled in college you can't assume everyone is loud mouth arrogant dad with no experience and treat them like you are better.

I also know who you speak of with your other reference. We have had him several times this year with little to no issues. That being said I didn't see your match so can't speak directly of it.

We as coaches are always going to have slanted views of whats being called, I just hope my kids don't leave it in the hands of the official. That is not always doable and it kills you inside when they screw something up and there is no way to explain it the kids.

Maybe we need develop a better training/evaluation system. There seems to always be a 100 Moms filming, maybe coaches can cut portions out and send it in and ask for clarification or interpretation. I understand we don't have the time or assets for and instant review but this could be done the following week and if nothing else we all might learn something from the results. Not looking to overturn matches just a open honest learning idea.

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: Sig] #217900 03/31/13 06:05 PM
J. Dale Offline
I have watched him intentionally make a bad call and stare right at the coach while doing it just trying to bait them onto responding so he can eject them. I have had him come to my corner trying to get me to argue because of " the look on your face says you have a problem with my judgement coach. Are you arguing my judgement" . But it will never change as long as the buddy system is in place.

Well you're just a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: J. Dale] #217901 03/31/13 06:07 PM
J. Dale Offline
I think he's the same official who ejected another official at Salina TOC one year.

Well you're just a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: J. Dale] #217906 03/31/13 09:38 PM
B
bigelow7275 Offline
B
Thanks Ted for going to bat for my son Billy Willson. I can promise you JACD_Moison it was not #992. He did not officiate a tournament all year. I can understand the confusion by the first name. I am not trying to irritate you, just clarifying.

Brian Bigelow
913-549-2713
Bigelow7275@yahoo.com

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: bigelow7275] #217907 03/31/13 10:56 PM
schroeder Offline
I will refrain from comment on that official... As myself, I am official. I try to encourage any coach to ask me questions. I will never hide behind judgement..I say exactly what I saw to warrant my call..that is if you did not hear what I was saying during the match. I tell every coach even in high school if they have a question to please call me to the table. I will explain my call and we will move on from there.
As for coaches and parents...call out good official by name and get there names out..people have hard time know names of the officials...if they are good..find out there name and state why you think they are good and what you like. If they are bad give out there name so other tourny and "head officials" hopefully wont call them to do the tourny's. We get on here and complain about bad refs...no names are given until now..be up front..say who is good who is bad and why. If we want the best then gets the names out of you you think are good officials. I myself will ask coaches what they like about my style and what stuff they dislike. I want to coaches to want me to officiate their matches. Problem is officals where grey shirts with no names or numbers on them anymore and nobody knows names of these refs. So if we want change in officiating then speak up and give names of the good and the bad...

Last edited by schroeder; 03/31/13 10:59 PM.
Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: schroeder] #217909 03/31/13 11:19 PM
Ed Wilson Offline
Some good young officials in D1:
Nathan Stanley
Nathan Butler
Ryne Cokeley
Zac Hensley
Isaac Dulgarian
Baily Kelly
Kyle Huck
Spencer Wilson
I know I have left out alot more...

These guys and others like them are our future and we as coaches and parents should do what we can to be rational matside and work with them to improve, as coaches and refs, so they will want continue to ref in the future.

Did you see that Eckenbacherswartzendruber?

Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: schroeder] #217910 03/31/13 11:19 PM
W
wolffman Offline
W
I will give a shout out to some pretty darn good officials who were at state.

Nick Gray
Mike Reichle
Rachael Woody

Keep these in mind when your looking for head refs for next year!

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: wolffman] #217911 03/31/13 11:57 PM
JACD_Moison Offline OP
OP Offline
Brian thanks for not taking offense to the mistake in identity, that's why I said "I think" I wasn't sure. I meant no harm whatsoever.

The officials that came to mind were the young lady with the glasses (heard many complaints from other coaches after she took the place of Matthew Weaver on MAT 8) then immediately Matthew Weaver had complaints on MAT 3 after Mr. Ashpole said he would be watched and "babysat" closely, and Billy Gaskill needs an attitude check, may be a great referee during a match, but needs adjusting.

I asked Matthew Weaver to approach the table after one of my wrestlers had another kid pinned while locked up in a tight cradle with legs hooked and all for about 15 seconds and he rolled his eyes while approaching the table. I asked him what his definition of a pin was and asked why he didn't get on the outside to see the pin. His reply, "well if you must know since you must be new to the sport, the shoulder blades have to be touching at the same time and the back flat to the mat, now if it's OK with you, can we resume the match?" I looked at him oddly obviously, and he then added "get back to your corner coach" put his whistle back in his mouth and walked off. After the match he had several other coaches in the stands and parents saying how much of an embarrassment to the sport he was for his actions. I know for a fact that if I had told him he was an id10t, I would have been ejected for the truth for the entire next season and then state of 2014. Then, 24 hours + later, I am coaching a 3rd & 4th place match and look over at Matthew and Billy, I looked over there not once, but 3 or 4 times and Billy was staring directly at me - I watched the match for a few seconds, then looked back and sure the heck, Billy was still staring at me. Under my breath, I said something like "what the f are you looking at?" or maybe "what the muff hair corn are you doing that" Not out loud, but under my breath. (I can't stand people that try to intimidate just because they have a title and basically enough power to ruin your life for a year.) He must read lips well because he immediately got up, and both of them walked over and took a knee right behind me. At the end of the period, I looked back and he was still staring directly at me, just waiting like a lion ready to pounce on his prey once it made one... small... peep. I could feel his eyes poking the back of my head like two electro probes and almost smell and feel their breath down my neck. I kept my mouth shut and the lions teeth receded and the threat was no longer... I have lived to tell the tale.

Last edited by JACD_Moison; 04/01/13 12:03 AM.

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: JACD_Moison] #217916 04/01/13 01:02 AM
Beeson Offline
Let me give a couple of examples of blown calls, my wrestlers were not involved in any of these matches.

1. Headlock was thrown from nuetral position. The official gave a two count. Not only did she not give nearfall, she refused to give a takedown also.

2. Official allowed an illegal choke to be applied. I yelled, "hey lady, your blowing an illegal choke hold call." She attempted to see the illegal choke, but I feel she had no idea what she was even looking for.

3. I witnessed an official try to give 2 points for a third stall call. Another official had to come over and inform her of the correct call.

State is not the time to train new officials. These officials seemed very green at best. Officials should not have to be represented from all Districts. If the 20 best officials are from one district then they should be used, and then the best officials from the remaining district should be used. That means if we need 32 officials: 15 from District 2, 10 from District 1, 5 from District 3, and 2 from District 4 would be totally acceptable. Just as long as we have the best. A poor or new official should not make it to state just because they are the best in a weak District.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: Beeson] #217919 04/01/13 01:17 AM
JACD_Moison Offline OP
OP Offline
Beeson "I witnessed an official try to give 2 points for a third stall call. Another official had to come over and inform her of the correct call."

It actually happened more than once, they weren't just attempts, they actually made the call. One resulted in going into overtime and the kid with the "stall call" was merely setting up a shot, not stalling, but faking/re-shooting/backing up a bit to get what seemed to be their appropriate distance. Also, MAT 8, girl with the glasses, she called potentially dangerous 2 X in a match when a kid (not mine or the club) was doing a textbook stand up and simply peeling the hands, not 1 or 2 fingers, the hands... I agree, many of these were newbies and should not have been trained at state. The young Stanley kid and that other young man that received the award did a splendid job this weekend. Respectful, courteous, and quick to explain reason... bravo to them

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: Beeson] #217920 04/01/13 01:24 AM
S
Sig Offline
S
Do we have a "head official(s)" for the state? Can we establish something like that? Get the top 1 or 2 from each district and set that advisory board up if not already there. We all know that you are not suppose to speak ill of those you work with but we have all had conversations with some of our more experienced officials and they will honestly tell you so and so has issues or should not be doing this at certain levels. I could see this benefiting everyone in the long run.

I watched and discussed Nathan Stanley with a couple other Officials this weekend and that kid (he is a kid, still in school) is pretty darn good, better than some that are turning grey and have years of "experience". He could be the face of the next generation of officials (or not) but currently he acts and works more professional than some others that were voted into the state tournament and that was acknowledged by many.

We also have to remember no one is perfect and everybody has their bad day we just hope that it isn't on our kids biggest day.

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: Sig] #217921 04/01/13 01:56 AM
JACD_Moison Offline OP
OP Offline
I think Keith Ashpole was the Head Official for the Kids State tourney. I can tell you he was running around like a chikin' with his head cut off trying to mend all of the rips and tears.

I would suggest that there be an onsite mediation between an official and coach (face to face with mediators present i.e a district rep and a neutral liaison) and let them get everything out on the table and get it over so that one understands the other and a coach doesn't get ejected because an official rolls his eyes, eyeballs him, or tells him to sit down. It's easy to eject a coach for saying something minute, but takes an official actually abusing someone physically to get booted. Where's the harmony in that? I should be able to ask an official on the spot if he has a personal problem with me and not be scared that I will lose the privilege of doing what I love to do because he has been staring at me for 3 minutes straight. Either he has a problem with me, or he likes the designer jeans I'm wearing...

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: Ed Wilson] #217923 04/01/13 02:37 AM
A
ath618 Offline
A
Originally Posted By: Ed Wilson
Some good young officials in D1:
Nathan Stanley
Nathan Butler
Ryne Cokeley
Zac Hensley
Isaac Dulgarian
Baily Kelly
Kyle Huck
Spencer Wilson
I know I have left out alot more...

These guys and others like them are our future and we as coaches and parents should do what we can to be rational matside and work with them to improve, as coaches and refs, so they will want continue to ref in the future.

I have to agree. I have watched many of these young refs and have to say that Zac Hensley is one of the best (young or old) refs out there.

Ted Huck

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: JACD_Moison] #217924 04/01/13 02:39 AM
Beeson Offline
Keith Ashpole was the Head Official. In my opinion, the Head Official should be able to bring a crew of his choosing. The head official would be held accountable for the officials he would bring. I think this would make him want to bring only the best officials. If we are still worring about being fair, let the Districts send their top 2 officials and then the Head Official choose the rest.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 179 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)