Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: Bronco Wrestler] #217983 04/01/13 07:24 PM
JACD_Moison Offline OP
OP Offline
Also, Nigel on MAT 11/12 did a great job as usual with handling a few situations he was in. Professional and courteous.

I also found out that Matthew Weaver has MS and it makes it hard for him to get up and down and move around as much as the other younger refs, I never knew of this and feel bad about his situation, however, if we aren't physically able to be agile enough to snap to MAT level and make an attempt to make a call that is fully supported, then he shouldn't be officiating a state tournament. I am in no way shape or form saying anything negative about his condition, but if you're physically impaired, you need to know your limits. It would be nice to know these things beforehand as well so we know what to expect. I'm sorry in advance if I have offended anyone bringing up his condition, is was used to shed light on the situation, not make fun or ridicule.

Also talked to Billy, we revisited why he came over and sat behind me, he stated that he was just making sure that nothing was going to be escalated. He also made me aware that he was very passionate of his duties as an official and that has been deemed at times to be intimidating. I fully agreed with him smile With that said, I hung up the phone relieved a bit and felt better about the full situation. Hopefully something was accomplished on both sides.

We all want what's best for the kids, that's our objective as coaches/parents/officials, I just wish there was a smoother avenue of approach at times...

Jimmy Moison - Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
785-224-7349 - jimmy.moison@gmail.com
Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: JACD_Moison] #217986 04/01/13 07:43 PM
S
Sig Offline
S
That’s cool that you talked to him and sounds like it was civil. I think we would all agree he is a very good official and he is passionate about it, I also think most will also agree that he is about the only one that walks around like he has a corn cob in you know where…he just needs to bring it down a notch with the mean mugging. Everyone just needs to relax a bit and remember most of us do this for kids younger than 14 and the world will continue to spin when the mats are rolled up.

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: JACD_Moison] #217987 04/01/13 07:45 PM
A
ath618 Offline
A
I have attended the officials meetings and area clinics in district 1. It has opened my eyes to what these guys and gals go through to be able to gain more knowledge of the sport they love. I encourage everyone who has complained about a referee to click the little tab to the left listed as "Officials" and give it a try.
Keep this in your thoughts when you want to complain to a ref. Was that a judgment call? And if so it is the officials judgement that matters. However, rules questions should be brought up to table at the appropriate time.

Ted Huck

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: Sig] #217994 04/01/13 08:34 PM
JACD_Moison Offline OP
OP Offline
Very well said... LOL!
Originally Posted By: Sig
That’s cool that you talked to him and sounds like it was civil. I think we would all agree he is a very good official and he is passionate about it, I also think most will also agree that he is about the only one that walks around like he has a corn cob in you know where…he just needs to bring it down a notch with the mean mugging. Everyone just needs to relax a bit and remember most of us do this for kids younger than 14 and the world will continue to spin when the mats are rolled up.

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: JACD_Moison] #218000 04/01/13 10:34 PM
S
Spexy Offline
S
Doesn't matter where you go you WILL always have some good some bad. But at a State Level we look for the best the state has to offer. I've been to LOTS of tourneys this year and for the number of women officials I've seen at these events, doesn't even come close to what I saw at State. Where did they come from? I do know 3 of them are family members of district directors, talk about the buddy system. As for the officials on mats 1&2 they were GREAT! If you had a dispute they told you take it to the table, and would listen to everything you had to say. On those mats saw some calls over turned, also saw calls not. But they were top quality refs. Wish I knew their names, my hats off to them.

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: JamyD] #218003 04/01/13 10:53 PM
usawks1 Offline
Originally Posted By: JamyD
Call me crazy. Shouldn't a ref have competed in the sport he/she is a ref in.....

That ... is a can of worms ... I know several coaches who have never wrestled!!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: usawks1] #218004 04/01/13 11:01 PM
J
JamyD Offline
J
Very true sir. I was just referring to the refs.

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: JamyD] #218005 04/01/13 11:22 PM
usawks1 Offline
I think it adds to the understanding but do not necassarily agree that having competed in competed in wrestling is a must to officiate it!

I believe that officiating requires a very unique set of skills and traits! For one, they need confidence to manage the entire match and "sell" their calls. Next, they need to have a very short memory and very thick skin!!

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: JamyD] #218006 04/01/13 11:23 PM
J
JamyD Offline
J
Post removed sir. Just a crazy thought smile

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: JamyD] #218007 04/01/13 11:24 PM
J
JamyD Offline
J
And yes, very thick skin....I wouldnt want to do it!!

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: usawks1] #218008 04/01/13 11:27 PM
T
TMun Offline
T
Originally Posted By: usawks1
I think it adds to the understanding but do not necassarily agree that having competed in competed in wrestling is a must to officiate it!

I believe that officiating requires a very unique set of skills and traits! For one, they need confidence to manage the entire match and "sell" their calls. Next, they need to have a very short memory and very thick skin!!

BUMP Randy...Good to see an "ol timer" chime in...I have refrained...Things have changed ALOT since I bowed out 10 years ago.

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: TMun] #218009 04/01/13 11:57 PM
usawks1 Offline
Originally Posted By: TMun
Originally Posted By: usawks1

BUMP Randy...Good to see an "ol timer" chime in...I have refrained...Things have changed ALOT since I bowed out 10 years ago.

LOL ... lately, I just watch but occasionally I have to include my cents!!

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: usawks1] #218010 04/02/13 12:24 AM
S
Sig Offline
S
Do any of the "Head" (top 1 or 2) officials get invited to the fall district meetings or state level board meetings? Would it be appropriate to invite them? My thought would be if districts had a picture board of Officials similar to what Mark Stanley did for D1N at the seeding meeting they could run through it with what knowledge they have and make some recommendations for clubs that are running tournaments. They could also discuss some of the biggest issues they see and clubs could do the same.

It's obvious from watching this thread there are officials reading it and some of the old timers that can impact the future of wrestling reading it, lets come up with responsible positive solutions and act on them where necessary. I don't think the sky is falling but we all agree some little tweaks here and there would be beneficial.

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: Sig] #218012 04/02/13 01:05 AM
JACD_Moison Offline OP
OP Offline
I think that the liaison or district rep should be present at the board meetings, then at the end of the year (like Mark S did with the photos) the coaches be able to vote in their recommendations of what top 6 district officials should be at the State tournament. Each district would have actually 7 officials, 1 head, and 6 officials. That would give a total of 28 officials and each could take a shift. Example: First day, each of the districts have 3 refs + the head official, midday, swap the refs out to give the others a break and do the same for the next day with the exception of if a certain official has too many complaints the first day, he doesn't get the chance to officiate the championship matches. Anyone reading this will agree that many officials get tired of the BS toward the end of the day and they would just rather get things over with.

Also, the head official from each district would be a liaison for any immediate appeals, fill ins, and other discussions - Heck, even have like a table in the middle of the arena with nice and comfy chairs for them to just observe - I know it seems like this is something that would be OK for an NCAA event or a professional event, but Kids State SHOULD be treated as a professional event, not just some amateur thrown together event for little Johnny.

If something doesn't change, it will get worse. And before you know it, you will have guys like me (or Mr. Hinderliter) out in a freestyle singlet with a mask announcing the awards. Wouldn't look too professional... smile

Last edited by JACD_Moison; 04/02/13 01:05 AM.

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: JACD_Moison] #218013 04/02/13 01:23 AM
S
Sig Offline
S
You all have heard the saying it could be worse?

Start watching around 4:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DR9w7k84X50

Makes our issues seem petty.

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: Spexy] #218020 04/02/13 10:56 AM
K
K Ashpole Offline
K
Spexy,

The officials on Mat 1-2 were Van Kuhn, Cody Munsch and Jared Martin. I agree, they did an outstanding job. I was not called to these mats the entire tournament (that I remember).

Regards,

Keith Ashpole

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: K Ashpole] #218022 04/02/13 12:04 PM
JACD_Moison Offline OP
OP Offline
Mr. Ashpole, would you mind embarking on this and giving your opinion on how you think the tournament was ran? I mean officiating wise of course, the way everything was put into place and setup was great. This thread was intended to constructively criticize the officiating, not put down or ridicule. I would like to know what you think from the other side. Thanks

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: Spexy] #218024 04/02/13 12:25 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Spexy,
I would have to disagree with you in regards to your comment about the buddy system with the Woody family being officials. I know we as a district 4 club had a vote on who we would like to see at state, and many of our officials that we voted for were represented at state. In no way is this the buddy system, for the simple fact it is based on votes.

And just a friendly reminder that if you are going to call out an individual or individuals you must sign your name to your post, as this is forum rules.

Lance Geyer

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: Sig] #218026 04/02/13 12:52 PM
coach craig Offline
Originally Posted By: Sig
You all have heard the saying it could be worse?

Start watching around 4:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DR9w7k84X50

Makes our issues seem petty.

There are a couple of issues in this video.

1. The most glaring, to me, was the coaches first stop was to the official instead of his wrestler. You have an unconcious athlete on the mat. That is priority #1. I did not see any medical personel come to this kids aid. There were multiple coaches standing around while this kid was laying on the mat face down.

2. Instead of defusing the situataion the official escalated it. he should have been on the mat with the wrestler. Instead he walks away from him to make sure the coach gets tossed. Officals are there to protect our wrestlers first then make sure pionts are awarded correctly. Defuse the situation first by not yelling and making sure the wrestler is taken care of.

This could serve as a case study as to what not to do as a coach and official. There is plenty of time to hash out who was at fault or who missed what after the wrestler is taken care of. If that were my child I would have dressed down the coach and official as both were being childish and selfish putting there own interests in front of the well-being of the wrestler.

Re: State Tournament Officiating [Re: K Ashpole] #218029 04/02/13 01:03 PM
coach craig Offline
Originally Posted By: K Ashpole
Spexy,

The officials on Mat 1-2 were Van Kuhn, Cody Munsch and Jared Martin. I agree, they did an outstanding job. I was not called to these mats the entire tournament (that I remember).

Regards,

Keith Ashpole

Hi Keith!

I am glad that he came in to offer some insight. I was fortunate to have Keith as an official while I coached at Bishop Carroll. He is an official that gets it. He does his job but understands that we, yahoo coaches full of competitive piss and vinigar, have a tendency to "ask pointed questions" or "make heated statments". He went out of his way to make sure that we had a working relationship instead of a combative relationship. I can remember times that he made every attempt to help me understand why a call was made and he made it consistantly. He was very approachable and was willing to talk about situations anytime they came about. Get this....He even told me when he missed a call that one time. That being said all me and my coaching staff had to do was. 1. Walk to the table. Not the middle of the mat. 2. Use a calm voice. 3. Ask the question "What to you have here?". 4. If it was a scoring / time issue let the offical work it out with the table. 5. Keep it breif and get back to wrestling. I knew that if there was an issue with another official Keith would listen to my concern and either explain why the offical was right or tell me why I had a valid case to be concerned.

That being said...He does a great job.

Craig Adams

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 146 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)