Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D4 Sub-District Tournament #227867 03/11/14 11:00 PM
R
R. Scott Edwards Offline OP
OP Offline
R
District 4 will be wrestling ALL age groups and weight classes including the HS division this weekend to qualify for Districts the next weekend. Even if there is only 1 person in your weight class, you must still show up and make weight.

Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: R. Scott Edwards] #227886 03/12/14 03:23 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: R. Scott Edwards
District 4 will be wrestling ALL age groups and weight classes including the HS division this weekend to qualify for Districts the next weekend. Even if there is only 1 person in your weight class, you must still show up and make weight.

There has been precedent set in past, not contrary to the bylaws, where this is NOT the case. Is this a Steve Woody ruling?

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: Cokeley] #227888 03/12/14 03:28 AM
D
DannyB Offline
D

That is the way it should be and always has been. Great job D4, although it sucks for you guys since your drive might be 4 hours to make weight just to get a medal and an empty bracket. Follow the rules!

Make yourself better for the NEXT level
Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: DannyB] #227889 03/12/14 03:33 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: DannyB

That is the way it should be and always has been. Great job D4, although it sucks for you guys since your drive might be 4 hours to make weight just to get a medal and an empty bracket. Follow the rules!

You sir, are WRONG!

Absolutely NOT true DannyB. If you are in a bracket with 4 or less you may choose to get your weight certified by the District Director off site or at another competition. You may then default to 4th, 3rd, 2nd, or 1st depending on the number in your bracket. It was approved by the Executive Director and is NOT contrary to the Bylaws. I know this for a fact. It is RIDICULOUS for us to make a family drive any number of miles at $.58 a mile to weigh and collect a medal. This whole thing is beyond absurd. No one is looking out for the best interest of our wrestlers and families in D4. It is WAY beyond a time for change out there. ie, I can't wait to see the officials you bring...

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: Cokeley] #227892 03/12/14 03:47 AM
D
DannyB Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Cokeley

You sir, are WRONG!

Absolutely NOT true DannyB. If you are in a bracket with 4 or less you may choose to get your weight certified by the District Director off site or at another competition. You may then default to 4th, 3rd, 2nd, or 1st depending on the number in your bracket. It was approved by the Executive Director and is NOT contrary to the Bylaws. I know this for a fact. It is RIDICULOUS for us to make a family drive any number of miles at $.58 a mile to weigh and collect a medal. This whole thing is beyond absurd. No one is looking out for the best interest of our wrestlers and families in D4. It is WAY beyond a time for change out there. ie, I can't wait to see the officials you bring...

Easy Hoss, I would have done that for several of the past years had I only educated MYSELF, however, why can't we satellite for subs, and district, with district official then? Same thing right? By-laws don't mean crap! I agree with you 100% why drive at $.58 a mile for a medal, or a hotel room, which cost $39.00 (at least where I stay). So let's have change, but let's do it with votes, in a meeting. And by the way what the hell does my officials have to do with this conversation?

Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: DannyB] #227895 03/12/14 04:27 AM
Cokeley Offline
THERE IS NO BYLAW that states that a District cannot have a remote or satellite weigh in.

Rule 4-5-1 & 4-5-3 All sanctioned tournaments will hold a weigh in. The weigh in procedures shall be determined by the tournament director. All participants shall have the opportunity to weigh in at the same time. No weigh in shall be prior to twenty four (24) hours before the published tournament start time. However, a novice only tournament
wrestled on Sunday may conduct its weigh in up to forty eight (48) hours before
the published tournament start time Wrestlers shall wear a competition style
singlet at weigh-in.

SEEDING MEETINGS Each district will establish a deadline, 10 days prior to the initial qualifying tournament in each District after which no additional entries may be made without paying a penalty fee of $50. At the seeding meeting, weight or age corrections or scratches may be made in all age groups, including walk-on wrestlers, prior to the start of seeding the wrestlers without requiring a penalty fee.
Additional entries may be made in writing one hour prior to the published start time of the seeding meeting, but any such entrant must pay a penalty fee. Once the seeding starts, no changes, or additions will be allowed except in the case of clerical errors by the tournament director.

5. Entry Fees for the qualifying tournaments and state tournament will be set each year by the State Body.
6. The District State Director and his/her two Assistant State Directors will determine the number of qualifiers from Sub-District to District. Each District will have this responsibility.

As you can clearly see, the District Director has the autonomy to determine weigh-in process without a Bylaw change. THERE IS NO BYLAW stating that on-site weigh-ins are mandatory. Below you will see that Dist 2 & 3 have the right to allow additional entries up to one hour before their seeding meetings which will be conducted the morning of the tournament. If a sub is not required then the District tournament becomes the initial qualifier. Past practice does NOT mean that it is clearly stated in the bylaws.

DannyB, yes you can have remote weigh-ins. Up to your District and tournament director.

What family year-in and year-out makes up a significant portion of the officials representing D4? HINT Dad, mom, daughters, brother-in-law.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: Cokeley] #227898 03/12/14 07:40 AM
P
Purple_Freak Offline
P
Will - District II tried this in years past and was shut down promptly. I also know it was brought up at a State meeting the following year and was voted down.

Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: Purple_Freak] #227900 03/12/14 10:10 AM
J
jule Offline
J
I think it has to do with our officials because Mr. Cokeley wasn't happy with a call made by one of our officials at Hays. Hopefully I am wrong. It would be sad that all this talk about D4 has to do with hurt feelings and a way to get at that official. I guess I can take a hint he is upset with Woody. Which not sure why he is going after the whole family. Also not sure why he isn't as upset about D1 having subs. As for myself I live in western kansas I drive for everything. 30 minutes to Walmart , movie theater, shoe store and so on and so on. I have driven a lot longer to find a tournament with 14 and under in it just to get mat time. Don't worry about our drive time it is part of our lifestyle. We do what we need to.

Last edited by jule; 03/12/14 10:48 AM.
Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: Purple_Freak] #227902 03/12/14 11:34 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Purple_Freak
Will - District II tried this in years past and was shut down promptly. I also know it was brought up at a State meeting the following year and was voted down.

There has never been a proposal to modify the Bylaws to eliminate the Director's control over weigh ins. Please feel free to find where it states we must perform an on site weigh in. I simply scanned through the Bylaws quickly when all of this went down. It is a tedious process because we have pages of language that is painfully detailed regarding discipline and special needs but only a few paragraphs outlining the procedures for qualifying tournaments.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: Cokeley] #227904 03/12/14 11:54 AM
Beeson Offline
I remember this vividly. We were told as a District we could not perform Satellite Weigh-ins. All the Districts were to follow the same rules. Apparently there needs to be a major overhaul of the by-laws. Those on the Executive Council that are not willing to participate in this Major Overhaul, this may be a good time for you to step down. You are hurting Kansas Wrestling in more ways than one. You are definitely not helping.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: Cokeley] #227906 03/12/14 12:20 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
REALLY Will?
This thread has nothing to do with your opinion on our officials we select for state. You have always had a problem with our officials, this is only my opinion but I believe it is becuase they dont back down to you, and tell you to get off of the mat when you continue to argue a call or make a scene. I am sure the "official" comment is stimming from the call at our tournament (which I did not see) But I have heard from multiple people it could have went either way.

I do agree that it sucks that some of our families have to drive 3-4 hours to collect a medal, but that is common for us out here. Where do you draw the line on who has to show up. We have some 8U kids with only a few kids in the bracket should they just stay home as well?. I for one wish every bracket we had was a full 16-32 man every tournament, but reality is that doesnt happen anywhere in the state every weekend. It starts with parents, and clubs sending their kids to subs. There are many parents out there that dont want their kids to get beat out, so it is just easier to not go at all.

So lets stay on the topic of Subs and not on how a call did not go someones way at the last tournament.

Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: L.Geyer] #227954 03/12/14 08:47 PM
Cokeley Offline
Nothing to do with A call. Promise. I am not that shallow. It is about the history and the potential for conflict of interest. A need for change and closer scrutiny on the motivation for decisions. Integrity in your leadership as well. I could care less about one call in one match. This is about the greater good for all wrestlers and families. I am in this for the kids. Not my kid, all kids. How do we grow and make wrestling more appealing. When only 40% of your card holders are participating in your marquee series you have to ask the tough questions and say the things that everyone thinks and says behind the scenes. Transparency

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: Cokeley] #227958 03/12/14 09:24 PM
D
DannyB Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Purple_Freak

There has never been a proposal to modify the Bylaws to eliminate the Director's control over weigh ins. Please feel free to find where it states we must perform an on site weigh in. I simply scanned through the Bylaws quickly when all of this went down. It is a tedious process because we have pages of language that is painfully detailed regarding discipline and special needs but only a few paragraphs outlining the procedures for qualifying tournaments.

It doesn't state on site weigh ins, but it has always been understood, and EVERYONE has followed the general protocol. Satellites where brought up at State meeting and shot down, mainly D1 didn't want them. Not saying it's their fault. Here is the problem, Kansas wrestling had an issue this year, RMN, district reps didn't want Kansas kids to miss out on neither RMN or Kansas State Qualifiers, so they made an exception to the rules at the last minute. Right or wrong, it only helps the RMN guys. Quit saying "trying to save everyone money" instead pass a satellite weigh in rule, that saves the whole State money not just a few. But do it at State Body meeting not right before qualifying series starts.

Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: Cokeley] #227961 03/12/14 10:03 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L

Last edited by L.Geyer; 03/12/14 10:11 PM. Reason: sent PM
Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: Cokeley] #227963 03/12/14 10:26 PM
Kyle O. Roberts Offline
Originally Posted By: Matt Treaster 05/03/2012
Members:

Our board has made a concerted effort to make our sub-district and district tournaments uniform. I realize it is impossible to make ever last detail the same, but we must do what we can to make the major items consistent. Weigh-ins (and the requisite hair/skin/nail checks) are one of those major items. No satelite weigh-ins will be allowed for sub-district, district, or state tournaments.

Matt Treaster
Executive Director
Kansas Kids Wrestling

Last edited by Kyle Roberts; 03/13/14 04:16 PM. Reason: Date
Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: DannyB] #227964 03/12/14 10:35 PM
Cokeley Offline
The numbers for 16U and HS have year in and year out have not grown. These groups are annually the leader in scratches at subs as well as the smallest number of participants. The elimination of subs for the HS division was largely supported in our fall meeting. However, USA Wrestling offered the $300 per team "deal" on USA Cards. Mike Juby put fear in the board and it was narrowly voted to TABLE instead of eliminate the subs until we had the NUMBERS. The motivations of the board were the very reasons you discounted. The ancillary benefit of other options and the freedom to choose were just icing on the cake. The FOCUS was to eliminate being held hostage for three weeks, NEEDLESSLY. You do realize in some cases where there are 2 or 3 in a bracket the same wrestlers could wrestle four times in two weekends. That is not good. When the numbers did NOT improve, and we knew this on the Wednesday before the seeding meeting, the question was why should we wait. Intuitively it seemed that parents would be happy not to have to travel an extra weekend so why wait another year when the Bylaws have the flexibility. The Colorado deal came along after this discussion and is just a tangential benefit for, really for all HS wrestlers not just a few. ANY KS HS wrestler could have signed up and wrestled in the RMN. Back in the fall no one knew what events were going to line up on what weekends. The issue isn't some conspiracy about favoritism for a few kids. The real issue is that the bylaws are very gray and written in such a manner that change is nearly impossible because it takes 2/3 vote and a year's notice. These changes were made within the Bylaws but the majority of people are uncomfortable with change. I know the board wants what is best for the kids but sometimes people let money, pride, ego, or the potential for conspiracy road blocking progress. The state body meeting is months away and another year of holding HS kids hostage for three weeks just didn't seem like it was in the best interest of those kids and parents.

Lets just look at the cost... In D4 there are 83 HS kids. Lets say 75% were going to travel an average of 100 miles to the sub. That is 200 miles times 62 kids or 6200 miles. That's $3500 in mileage. Lets say half those kids had to spend the night... That is another $1500. So just mileage and lodging it would be a $5,000 savings. The majority of people in wrestling have complained about the escalating costs to participate. We cannot just look at the hardcore we have to look at the majority and make the spending make sense.

Who knows when the RMN will be or whatever other tournament. The real foundation for this change was to reduce cost and the time parents and wrestlers had to spend in the gym. GUARANTEE you this was the driving force.

Last edited by Cokeley; 03/12/14 10:36 PM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: Kyle O. Roberts] #227980 03/13/14 01:07 AM
D
DannyB Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Kyle Roberts
Originally Posted By: Matt Treaster
Members:

Our board has made a concerted effort to make our sub-district and district tournaments uniform. I realize it is impossible to make ever last detail the same, but we must do what we can to make the major items consistent. Weigh-ins (and the requisite hair/skin/nail checks) are one of those major items. No satelite weigh-ins will be allowed for sub-district, district, or state tournaments.

Matt Treaster
Executive Director
Kansas Kids Wrestling

Every effort to make uniform? Really! Two districts have to qualify in 2 tournaments while the other two districts only have to qualify in one tournament to make it to State. What happens if there is a 32 or 64 man bracket at Districts in the two districts that can skip subs. Should of kept everthing the same throughout the State. On site weigh in, nail, skin and hair check is subject to judgement and can be misrepresented. Atleast Kansas is trying to keep something consistant. It will be interesting to see how many HS choose to stay home in D2 and D3 for subs and save all their money, and then go compete the next weekend for there chance to go to the STATE tournament, while the guys that wrestle at RMN will be getting plenty of matches. Good luck guys bring home a another Championship!

Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: Cokeley] #227986 03/13/14 01:21 AM
D
DannyB Offline
D
Rule 4-5-1 & 4-5-3 All sanctioned tournaments will hold a weigh in. The weigh in procedures shall be determined by the tournament director. All participants shall have the opportunity to weigh in at the same time. No weigh in shall be prior to twenty four (24) hours before the published tournament start time. However, a novice only tournament
wrestled on Sunday may conduct its weigh in up to forty eight (48) hours before
the published tournament start time Wrestlers shall wear a competition style
singlet at weigh-in.

As you can clearly see, the District Director has the autonomy to determine weigh-in process without a Bylaw change. THERE IS NO BYLAW stating that on-site weigh-ins are mandatory. Below you will see that Dist 2 & 3 have the right to allow additional entries up to one hour before their seeding meetings which will be conducted the morning of the tournament. If a sub is not required then the District tournament becomes the initial qualifier. Past practice does NOT mean that it is clearly stated in the bylaws.

DannyB, yes you can have remote weigh-ins. Up to your District and tournament director.

I am so confused, Mr. Treaster (Executive Director) says no satelite weigh-ins allowed for qualifing Tourneys, but Mr. Cokeley says there is "Nothing" in the By-Laws in a Sanctioned Tournament; Tournament/District Directors can weigh in however they want as long as it is not more than 24 hours before the posted start time of the tournament. Thanks Mr. Cokeley as I said earlier I always thought you were by the book.

Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: Cokeley] #227990 03/13/14 01:39 AM
D
DannyB Offline
D

You sir, are WRONG!

Mr. Cokeley, I am D2 not 4, and yes I agree, even in D2, politics, who knows who, where your from, gets in the way of better judgement for better officials. D2 has sent ref's to State that refereed less than 4 tourneys all season and yes they sucked. But hey, don't let the ref's make the match changing calls. Not much you can do about it, if it's voted on by all the Dist. coaches.

Re: D4 Sub-District Tournament [Re: DannyB] #228016 03/13/14 10:45 AM
J
jule Offline
J
Mr. Cokeley, the information you give is enlightening. My question is how is this just D4 directors fault. Also what do Lisa , Sara , Rachel and Brian have to do with it. We send the officials that we vote on. They don't call us and ask us to vote for them. If I remember right one of the girls was voted in as an official in another district also. So how is that D4's fault. Is it D4 as a hole you don't like or just the director?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Derek Patterson), 160 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,380
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)