Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: Beeson] #235479 03/24/15 12:44 PM
C
CWB Offline
C
Beeson
They may not be breaking them.If the kid payed for the singlet, it is his. If he borrowed the singlet is where the problem lies.So in turn loop hole.I watched many many HS coaches coach this last weekend. Every one of them coached from out side of the corner. It is the same as having 5 coaches in the corner,as long as there is only 2 on the mat it is fine.The kids do not win because there is 5 coaches in the corner they win because all of the coaches care.

With all this said,I am A nobody,that has enough brains to see that the crap rules from KSHSAA are NOT there helping ANY kid.I am just a dad coach and will not be more.But I see the crap the HS coaches go though and think it sucks.The HS coaches are afraid to say any thing because some one will tell on them.Or even worse loose there job.It will never be changed if every one is worried about loosing there jobs.

Rules are necessary in any and every sport.But to put rules that dose not help the kids is nuts.

Charles Bradford

Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: CWB] #235480 03/24/15 12:50 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
I always ask the question, who is this KSHSAA to be making all these rules? It is obvious far too many people don't know the answer to that question.

Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: sportsfan02] #235482 03/24/15 12:54 PM
C
CWB Offline
C
Just so it is noted.Every thing I typ is my thoughts.Not my teams nor my schools. Nor my wifes for that matter :}

Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: Beeson] #235486 03/24/15 02:04 PM
T
Toach Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Beeson
Just a couple of things I saw this weekend that could cause some problems for wrestlers concerning KSHSAA.

High School Wrestlers Can NOT wear their High School Singlets. I know coaches are trying to help the wrestlers out but it is against KSHSAA rules for wrestlers to wrestle in their High School Singlets.

High School Head Coaches can not coach 8th graders through 11th graders. They may coach Seniors since they will not be coaching them next year.

I saw both of these violations this weekend and although I would not report this to KSHSAA, pictures, video, and other multi-media venues could cause unwanted problems for Teams, Coaches, and Programs.

Good Luck to everyone this weekend.

Just to clarify based on Beeson's wording, does this mean assistant high school coaches are or are not allowed to coach 8th-11th graders?

Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: Toach] #235487 03/24/15 02:29 PM
M
MHS77 Offline
M
Any high school coach (assistant or head) is not allowed to be the mat coach for his own high school's wrestler during the school year (which obviously includes kids state series and freestyle, etc. up through end of semester. I'm not sure where the rule is posted but this is info I was given.

Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: MHS77] #235491 03/24/15 02:54 PM
B
Bones1768 Offline
B
How about 6&7th graders. Are High School coaches allowed to coach them?

Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: CWB] #235494 03/24/15 05:06 PM
Nigel Isom Offline
I wanted to address several issues posted on this subject in no particular order.

First lets define what KSHSAA has to say about the coaching issue. From the KSHSAA Handbook:

Rule 10. Article 5.

"During the school year, but outside the season of a
sport, coaches/coaches’ aides may not coach in practice
or competition those students they will be coaching
the following year in that sport."

Meaning graduated 8th graders and above who will be wrestling in high school the following year cannot be coached by Head OR Assistant Coaches in their school during the school year.

There is another article that allows coaches to coach their kids in a voluntary manner during summer break, and hold a 1 week camp but that is not at issue here.

Originally Posted By: CWB
Beeson
I watched many many HS coaches coach this last weekend. Every one of them coached from out side of the corner. It is the same as having 5 coaches in the corner,as long as there is only 2 on the mat it is fine.

With all this said,I am A nobody,that has enough brains to see that the crap rules from KSHSAA are NOT there helping ANY kid.I am just a dad coach and will not be more.But I see the crap the HS coaches go though and think it sucks.The HS coaches are afraid to say any thing because some one will tell on them.Or even worse loose there job.It will never be changed if every one is worried about loosing there jobs.

Rules are necessary in any and every sport.But to put rules that dose not help the kids is nuts.
Charles Bradford

Couple of things here. What you stated is incorrect. Just not being in the corner does not meet the burden of not coaching regarding the situation describe in article 5. If you as a high school coach are in the vacinity of a match in progress and you are providing instruction to that wrestler then you are in fact coaching them and in violation of the rule. This would also include providing instruction to them away from the mat at the tournament or in the practice room. If you were just telling them good job or making general conversation that would probably be okay. The easiest way to think about it is, if you are providing instruction to the wrestler that you would say inside of a high school sports season then its not going to be acceptable to say as much outside of the season. To try and skirt the rules like the above situation would likely draw the ire of KSHSAA even more so than just plainly violating it, and it is unethical according to the Coaches Conduct Policy. The people at KSHSAA would see right through that. In this day and age of everyone having a smartphone I would think a coach would not like to have someone videotaping them anywhere near a kid they are going to be coaching the following year.

As has been mentioned the likelihood of someone reporting a coach doing this are probably pretty slim, but if they do you are going to be hard pressed to come up with an explanation given the physical evidence. And risking your job or the eligibility of your wrestler definately isn't worth it.

Now on the the part about the crap nature of the rule. Regardless of how much people may not like a rule, as long as it is a rule it needs to be followed. There is a mechanism in place to change rules like this so if you don't like the rule you should go through that procedure. We don't get to pick and choose which rules we follow and which ones we don't based on our own personal opinions, otherwise whats to stop a coach from allowing their wrestlers to wear plastics during practice as long as they don't see them, etc? I tend to believe coaches have very good intentions and that they wouldn't do something like this on purpose.

Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
I always ask the question, who is this KSHSAA to be making all these rules? It is obvious far too many people don't know the answer to that question.

They are the organization which your school VOLUNTARILY agreed to join. And when the school pays it's dues every year they implicitly and explicitly agree to follow the rules set forth. If a school wishes not to follow those set of rules they are free to leave KSHSAA, of course if they do they won't be allowed to participate against KSHSAA member schools so that kind of limits the options.

Anyway I would say anyone having questions and wanting clarification of these issues, since my post in no way represents KSHSAA's interpretation, should contact Mark Lentz at KSHSAA. He will be more than happy to explain it all to you, including the process to get a rule changed should you choose to pursue that avenue.

Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: Nigel Isom] #235495 03/24/15 05:22 PM
V
Vandeventer Offline
V
Holy shit Nigel when did they outlaw plastics? What about a box built out of plywood with heat lamps? I suppose you are going to tell me that is illegal now too. I better find that damn KSHSAA Website and that manual thingy.

Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: Vandeventer] #235496 03/24/15 05:32 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Kshsaa does does not care what any of you want or think. They work for the schools and go unchecked in most of there activities. They have no interest in changing anything. They like it just the way it is. The fact that kansas is bordering at least 2 states that don't put handcuffs on there coaches with these idiotic rules and times they can or can't shows it is doable but not with the current regime. Kshsaa needs there house cleaned of both Musselman and Lentz and need new blood that has an actual interest. And damn Nigel, no wonder your one of the scariest refs out if your reffing my kids match, you seem to be quite the authority of off the mat issues. Must take a lot of your free time.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #235497 03/24/15 05:53 PM
Nigel Isom Offline
Definately not Patrick. Interpretations of KSHSAA rules are not up to me, in fact I rarely if ever offer my opinion or thoughts on a KSHSAA rule mostly because its not my job to do so. Also part of the reason I comment very infrequently here.

The only reason I did share my last post was because I don't want to see any coach or competitor run afoul of a KSHSAA rule and end up getting in trouble. I want these kids out there competing.

Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: MHS77] #235501 03/24/15 06:03 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Kudos to those HS coaches that give a damn enough to actually go and watch their current and future HS wrestlers. If someone turns in a coach for a few words of advice at a kids' tourney, that person is a chicken sh*t. Plain and simple.

Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: doug747] #235502 03/24/15 06:26 PM
JCook Offline
Originally Posted By: doug747
Kudos to those HS coaches that give a damn enough to actually go and watch their current and future HS wrestlers. If someone turns in a coach for a few words of advice at a kids' tourney, that person is a chicken sh*t. Plain and simple.

Yip!!! cool

James Cook
Smoky Valley
785-212-0605
Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: JCook] #235511 03/24/15 07:10 PM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
I know of a coach in Kansas that was grabbed by a wrestler from his school to help him. The coach was turned in and had to miss a dual this season, and was told next time he would miss a season. This coach is a great guy and follows the rules, he was just grabbed quickly and acted without thinking. Most of the time no one cares if a High School Coach helps out or not, but I'm sure the parents of the wrestler who lost were the ones that turned this coach in. Do what you want, but be prepared to pay the consequences.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: Beeson] #235522 03/24/15 09:13 PM
C
CWB Offline
C
Ty 1st for stating the rules. I do not look rules up very often,I just use common sense.Witch in our schools seems to be gone.

I understand you beeson on the be prepared.I also think you were trying to help kids/coaches.I just look at it and can't believe we do this to our kids.So I run my mouth some. I am glad I do not know the people on the board or I may get in trouble.

I do know if half of the HS coaches got together and said screw the rule and set and helped their kids at state.There would be O done against them. It would be real hard to fire 200 or so HS coaches at one time. That to me is how you get things done.

They make the change rules policies so hard they will never get changed.Are the kids there for the schools or are the schools there for the kids.

Charles Bradford

Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: CWB] #235527 03/24/15 09:31 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Exactly......swimming got it done though...

Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: jeremy sekavec] #235528 03/24/15 10:18 PM
A
AverageWrestler Offline
A
Originally Posted By: jeremy sekavec
Beeson,
What about a high school coach coaching his own son? Does the same rule apply

Now that's what I call a low blow.

Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: AverageWrestler] #235533 03/24/15 11:22 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
I am not sure when this rule was put in place, but when I was wrestling (albeit a long time ago) in the Kids program, the high school coach was also the Kids coach. Silly rule if you ask me. Where is the harm? Who does it put at a disadvantage? Why is this a bad thing for the wrestler or his/her community?

Lee Girard
Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: Nigel Isom] #235534 03/25/15 12:16 AM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Originally Posted By: Nigel Isom
Definately not Patrick. Interpretations of KSHSAA rules are not up to me, in fact I rarely if ever offer my opinion or thoughts on a KSHSAA rule mostly because its not my job to do so. Also part of the reason I comment very infrequently here.

The only reason I did share my last post was because I don't want to see any coach or competitor run afoul of a KSHSAA rule and end up getting in trouble. I want these kids out there competing.

1400 posts and you don't make frequent comments. Ok.... whatever you say.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #235544 03/25/15 03:36 AM
H
Harry L. LaMar Offline
H
Nigel. Show me where the kshsaa rules dictates anybody on earth cannot cheer from the stands and or give a young man advise outside the mat area out of season during the school year. Both are completely legal and not referenced in the kshsaa rulebook, casebook, or manual. There are a different set of kshsaa rules for in season coaching, and for coaching seniors after season, and for coaching during the school year out of season, and for coaching in the summer . The rule you are vaguely referencing is related to, in season coaching. 50 push-ups say you are confused! I will either be enlightened or get stronger!! Lord knows I need both.

It’s a great day to be alive
Re: KSHSAA RULES for High School wrestling kids [Re: Harry L. LaMar] #235545 03/25/15 03:39 AM
H
Harry L. LaMar Offline
H
High school coaches would be able to coach grades 5-6-7 if they don't coach junior high. Any dad in American has a right to coach his son if properly licensed and approved ; even in Kansas!!! Give me an amen!

It’s a great day to be alive
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 142 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,933
Posts250,364
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)