Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Metered Dose Inhaler Use out of control! [Re: sportsfan02] #243947 02/01/17 08:18 PM
D
Daniel DRW Offline
D
I haven't seen a single matched stopped for it all season. One time after the match, the kid pushed through and then after getting stuck laid there and received his inhaler.

*We attend at least 1 tournament every weekend, usually 4-500+ kids at each tournament.

Re: Metered Dose Inhaler Use out of control! [Re: Daniel DRW] #243948 02/01/17 08:29 PM
Beeson Offline
Certain kids and teams are more questionable than others. At first I agreed with the original poster on it being overused, but the more I think of it, it's pretty isolated. Not a real problem.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Metered Dose Inhaler Use out of control! [Re: Beeson] #243949 02/01/17 08:45 PM
B
BigBlue6 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Well my January tourney lineup was Winter Nationals, Tulsa and Salina TOC so yeah big tourneys tend to bring out that element, I get it, but...I also found a thread similar to this one on here from 2007 so it's a recurring issue, maybe? It seems like it would be easy to fix so it isnt abused.

The opinions herein are Mr Bluel's alone and are not that of OSHS, Falcon Empire or any other entity
Re: Metered Dose Inhaler Use out of control! [Re: BigBlue6] #243951 02/01/17 09:02 PM
Beeson Offline
You're nit picking. You are wanting to adopt a law for everyone where only one or two may be abusing it. There are rules for injury time that address this problem. May I suggest a tissue?

Re: Metered Dose Inhaler Use out of control! [Re: Beeson] #243955 02/01/17 11:19 PM
B
BigBlue6 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
there is a hidden danger in the current policy, that in the liability adverse climate we live in it's surprising that it hasn't been addressed--I'm gonna lay this out real slow, everybody see if you can keep up--I run a kids tournament, Coach Bob who is always looking for an edge has got a hold of himself an albuterol inhaler and has told some of his more competitive wrestlers to let him know, if in a tight match etc, and he will provide them the "excuse " to take a legal break. Little Billy turns out is allergic/sensitive to one of the inactive ingredients in the inhalers propellant and instead of getting a break he gets a trip to the ER. Now Billy's parents are out for blood and dad is a lawyer!! When doing his due diligence for the case (the primary defendant is the coach) he finds out there is no regulation on the administration of prescription (or over the counter) medication to the wrestlers DURING A MATCH let alone between matches on the sidelines. Well Mr Billy knows an opportunity when he sees one and lists the tournament organizers, and state body as codefendants in the suit. Whether he wins or not does this seem unrealistic? You have to sign a release to allow a school nurse to give your kid tylenol, an asthmatic kid has to go to the school nurse to use THEIR own inhaler and it has to be labeled, we want to add 6U division to state, what if the coach administers it wrong cause mom and dad aren't on the floor cause they dont have their bronze card. THIS IS A BLIND SPOT in the bylaws/rulebook whatever. The good news is you close the liability gap by requiring RX labeling and presenting the inhaler at the scorers tablet prematch (heck make the medic on duty administer it) and you kill the stalling tactic bird with the same stone. Is there some regulation about inhalers at the high school level? I think this horse is certainly dead now, but I am curious how inhalers are handled above the youth level. For the record I have NOT had this happen to me in a match I've been a party to just have seen a lot more of it lately and honestly now that we are two pages into this I'm more fascinated by the lack of a prescription labeling requirement than anything else at this point

PS (this is it I swear to God) another liability scenario is coach has a "community" inhaler in the bag cause he has a couple asthmatic kids on the team kid A has a cold that exacerbates his asthma uses the inhaler. Kid C knows about the inhaler gets kinda choked during the match coach offers, he accepts, and uses the inhaler (can't hurt right) well he gets Kid A's infection. Plot twist Kid A actually had the flu and Kid C gets it so bad he's hospitalized...who's liable for that?

wow that was way bigger than it looked blush

Last edited by BigBlue6; 02/01/17 11:20 PM.

The opinions herein are Mr Bluel's alone and are not that of OSHS, Falcon Empire or any other entity
Re: Metered Dose Inhaler Use out of control! [Re: BigBlue6] #243957 02/01/17 11:47 PM
Beeson Offline
Ok keep up because you apparently don't know how coaches work that are "looking for the edge". They get an empty fake inhaler and since the official doesn't look anyway, they never take a puff from it.

Scenario B, ouch my knee hurts.(not really, just needs a break)

Scenario C, this is kids wrestling and you are reaching wayyyyyyyy too much. You lost a match, instead of trying to get rules put into place, because your kid got screwed. Go To PRACTICE and get better. Quit Whining and Making excuses. You don't even know if the kid you're crying about is legit or not.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 150 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,383
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)