Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: KU It Is Time To Add Wrestling!!! #86651 06/11/05 09:27 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Actually in the southern regions of Johnson County there is still some acreage and even wealthier smaller farm residences. You see a lot of horses in those communities. I think it would also be true of Miami, Douglas, Shawnee and some of the other counties nearby Lawrence. There is also the American Royal in Kansas City. It is possible that there might be enough interest in the area around Lawrence to make an equestrian team feasible at KU. I bet rodeo might be popular at KSU.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: KU It Is Time To Add Wrestling!!! #86652 06/13/05 12:25 PM
olderigetbetteriwuz Offline
My wife is a riding instructor in southern Jo.Co. ( we don't live there) and there are a few brats,but by and large most of the kids are just like the Aquinas kids, but there are many excellent riders that have no where to go. A team at KU would surely catch on, and as they do at K-State the facility could be rented from a local farm. Just a thought. Wow, wrestlers lobbying for a riding program at KU, that would probably make headlines at the K.C. Pravda Star.

""old age and treachery can overcome youth and skill""
Re: KU It Is Time To Add Wrestling!!! #86653 06/13/05 04:39 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I would support the riding team but I want them to add the women's wrestling team first. I think it is time to toughen the KU image a little.

Vince Nowak

Re: KU It Is Time To Add Wrestling!!! #86654 06/15/05 12:51 AM
olderigetbetteriwuz Offline
I would support womens wrestling at KU but it would be hard to get a rule change thru that allowed mascara, lipgloss, and fake nails on the mat.

""old age and treachery can overcome youth and skill""
Re: KU It Is Time To Add Wrestling!!! #86655 06/15/05 01:33 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I was about to say I was doing some research one day and say King College wrestling, that's a team in need of bodies and anybody that has remote interest in wrestling in college would probably be varsity no problem.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: KU It Is Time To Add Wrestling!!! #86656 06/15/05 01:40 PM
Mike Furches Offline
The Tri City area is a great place to live. I know I grew up there. I have been in contact on a regular basis with the new/old coach, Doug Reese who is a good guy. He is getting a ton of recruits in the Tennessee/Virginia/North Carolina/South Carolina area, also all those schools in the area are only about 3 hours away. Coach Reese has to compete with a ton of schools in getting wrestlers. I hate to say it this way, but likely a decent wrestler from Kansas would get a spot very easy on the team without too much trouble. It has always amazed me at the number of college wrestling opportunities in the area, but the lack of Quality High School Wrestling.

Re: KU It Is Time To Add Wrestling!!! #86657 06/18/05 01:45 AM
usawks1 Offline
While at Ames, I've had the chance to visit with Coach Bobby Douglas of Iowa State and Coach Mark Manning of Nebraska. Each wish us well and we have their full support!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: KU It Is Time To Add Wrestling!!! #86658 06/18/05 09:31 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by usawks1:
While at Ames, I've had the chance to visit with Coach Bobby Douglas of Iowa State and Coach Mark Manning of Nebraska. Each wish is well and we have their full support!
That is good that we have their support...Big 12 coaches need to stand up for a possible extra team being added in DI and in the conference.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: KU It Is Time To Add Wrestling!!! #86659 06/18/05 11:53 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I agree that it would be great to get the full support of the five Big 12 coaches and their AD's in urging KU, KSU or WSU to add wrestling teams. I think it is certainly in their interest to especialy encourage KU and KSU to add teams. I am glad to hear that Coach Douglas and Coach Manning have offered to be supportive.

Vince Nowak

Re: KU It Is Time To Add Wrestling!!! #86660 06/18/05 11:58 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Furches:
The Tri City area is a great place to live. I know I grew up there. I have been in contact on a regular basis with the new/old coach, Doug Reese who is a good guy. He is getting a ton of recruits in the Tennessee/Virginia/North Carolina/South Carolina area, also all those schools in the area are only about 3 hours away. Coach Reese has to compete with a ton of schools in getting wrestlers. I hate to say it this way, but likely a decent wrestler from Kansas would get a spot very easy on the team without too much trouble. It has always amazed me at the number of college wrestling opportunities in the area, but the lack of Quality High School Wrestling.
Mike, do you mean that the quality of wrestling is not as good in NC,SC,TN and VA as Kansas? I was taking that to be your meaning. I certainly was surprised to see the number of North Carolina schools with Division I teams when I recently looked at the complete current list on NCAA Division I schools. Good for North Carolina though that they have them.

Vince Nowak

Re: KU It Is Time To Add Wrestling!!! #86661 06/21/05 12:40 AM
usawks1 Offline
I had a nice long talk with Terry Brands and his efforts to get the program going at UTC. He was very supportive and helpful!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: KU It Is Time To Add Wrestling!!! #86662 06/21/05 06:21 PM
Mike Furches Offline
Tell us more Randy.

Re: KU It Is Time To Add Wrestling!!! #86663 07/31/05 06:17 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I wonder if anyone is trying to get a wrestling team started at the University of Texas? It sures seems like they should have the financial ability to start both men and women teams. Isn't women wrestling pretty strong in Texas? The Big 12 needs more wrestling teams at all the Big 12 schools. Second in the Big 12 ahead of Oklahoma and Nebraska is very impressive for KU. I imagine it does not take into account yet the added revenue from ESPN and adidas contracts, so I think KU is actually doing very well.

Vince Nowak

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 204 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)