Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kansas Chapter - National Wrestling Hall of Fame History! #94168 04/17/04 08:30 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Mr. Robert Gonzales, Manhattan High School and former Shawnee Heights High School Head Wrestling Coach, has worked diligently since at least 2001, with the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in Stillwater, Oklahoma to form the Kansas Chapter of The National Wrestling Hall of Fame.

In an effort to honor those individuals in the State of Kansas who have dedicated themselves for the betterment of the sport, Mr. Gonzales has divided the State into six (6) districts; Northwest, North Central, Northeast, Southwest, South Central, and Southeast.

The Criteria for State Awards is:

1. Lifetime Service to Wrestling
A. Integrity
B. At least 20 years of service to wrestling
C. A commitment to the community and the youth in it

2. State Outstanding American
A. Integrity
B. Former wrestler at some point in their life
C. Highly successful in their profession or nationally famous for their work
D. Used the disciplines learned in wrestling to reach those levels

3. State Medal of Courage
A. A current or former wrestler who has overcome exceptional challenges

The first inductees to the Kansas Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame were honored with a dinner on November 9, 2003 in Colby, Kansas. All of the honorees were from Northwest Kansas.

The 2003 and first honored inductees are:
"Lifetime Service to Wrestling"
Dr. Warren J. "Barney" Boring - St. Francis

Mr. Jake Durham - Norton

Dr. Ed Keller - St. Francis

Mr. Steve Lampe - Colby

Mr. Gordon "Buzz" Matson - Oberlin

Mr. Alvin "Al" McCall - Goodland

The second Ceremony, which honored individuals from South Central Kansas, was held November 7, 2004 at the Best Western Wichita North, Park City, Kansas.

The 2004 honorees were:
Outstanding American from the State of Kansas
Mr. Patrick W. Miller (Valley Center High School)

"Lifetime Service to Wrestling"
Mr. Lawrence G. Alley Contributor (Douglass Kids Wrestling Club - Founding Father)

The Late Antoine N. Bontz III - Contributor (Wichita Wrestling Club)

The Late Thomas F. Faust - Contributor (Derby Kids Club - Founding Father)

Mr. Gus Garcia - Coach (Atwood High School, Augusta High School, Augusta Kids Club)

Mr. C. Dee Gard - Coach - Official (Wichita Heights)

The Late Francis J.Hagan, M.D. - Contributor (Founding Father)

Mr. C. Duwane Miller - Coach (Douglass, Kapaun Mt. Carmel)

Mr. Lyle W. Neville - Coach (Hutchinson High School)

Mr. Bill P. Stanhope Coach - Official - Contributor (Colwich Kids Wrestling Club - Founding Father)

Please review the Criteria for selection, and if there is an individual which we have forgotten and is not on the list in the following post, kindly notify:

Richard D. Salyer
RichardDSalyer@sbcglobal.net

Robert Gonzales
RobertGo@Manhattan.k12.ks.us

If there any questions, kindly notify me, or post on this forum and I will respond as expediently as possible.

Thank you!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Kansas Chapter - National Wrestling Hall of Fame History! #94169 08/18/06 03:30 AM
B
blueeyes67005 Offline
B
I would like to make a sugtestion for the 2006-2007 nomanations if i can Robert(BOB)Burr he has been a couch with the arkcity takedown and the arkcity freestyle clubs for over 40 years and has yet to be notted for all he has done he couched even when he had NO famile in the sport and he did it with pride like he allways has so if you could think about him the arkcity people would be greatfull thank you

blueeyes67005
Re: Kansas Chapter - National Wrestling Hall of Fame History! #94170 08/25/06 08:05 PM
ROBERT M. GONZALES Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyes67005:
I would like to make a sugtestion for the 2006-2007 nomanations if i can Robert(BOB)Burr he has been a couch with the arkcity takedown and the arkcity freestyle clubs for over 40 years and has yet to be notted for all he has done he couched even when he had NO famile in the sport and he did it with pride like he allways has so if you could think about him the arkcity people would be greatfull thank you
Hello Blue eyes. It will be a pleasure to nominate Bob Burr of Ark City. I have known Bob for over twenty years and he is a good person. The 2007 HOF Banquet will be for Southeast Kansas nominees and the 2008 will be northcentral Kansas and held in Salina. Please email robertgo@manhattan.k12.ks.us and I will start you on the paper work trail. Thanks RMG

RMG
Re: Kansas Chapter - National Wrestling Hall of Fame History! #94171 09/08/06 10:59 PM
B
blueeyes67005 Offline
B
thank you for your support if you can help me i would be very gratfull any way you can thank you

blueeyes67005
Re: Kansas Chapter - National Wrestling Hall of Fame History! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #94603 10/24/06 08:15 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline OP
OP Offline
R

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Kansas Chapter - National Wrestling Hall of Fame History! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #127977 04/15/08 07:48 PM
Mike Furches Offline
I have advocated as I know have others for Skip Harrington for some time. Skip clearly meets all of the criteria. Seems to me as if one of the first kids coaches, and the person who started Freestyle Greco in Kansas, at his own expense, who has continued on over the years is deserving. I have seen some of the old timers of Kansas continue to pay tribute to this man, as has many contemporaries like Elijah Madison, Tristen DeShazer, Joe Cornejo and many other young wrestlers. I will never forget hearing Charlie Knox telling his wrestlers that if this old man, his former coach, ever stops to tell them anything, they should stop and listen as he likely has done more, knows more, and has forgotten more than most anyone in Kansas History. I challenge anyone to think of just the two facts mentioned above, one of the first coaches on one of the first teams with Tom Faust in Folkstyle, and the one who started FS Greco. That among meeting every other criteria mentioned with no problem.

Re: Kansas Chapter - National Wrestling Hall of Fame History! [Re: Mike Furches] #127981 04/15/08 08:22 PM
usawks1 Offline
The 2008 HOF inductees will come from North Central Kansas.

I agree, Skip would be a worthy nominee when the ceremonies cycle around to the Wichita area!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Kansas Chapter - National Wrestling Hall of Fame History! [Re: usawks1] #128007 04/16/08 12:21 PM
Mike Furches Offline
Thanks Randy, I thought this may be the case but want to keep the Skipper out there.

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 99 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox, Coach Lueders, forty
12296 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,911
Posts250,304
Members12,296
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)