Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: First to 5,000 [Re: Curtis Chenoweth] #106192 03/21/07 05:14 PM
N. Zahm Offline
Who

Re: First to 5,000 [Re: N. Zahm] #106193 03/21/07 05:14 PM
N. Zahm Offline
is

Re: First to 5,000 [Re: N. Zahm] #106194 03/21/07 05:14 PM
N. Zahm Offline
it

Re: First to 5,000 [Re: N. Zahm] #106195 03/21/07 05:15 PM
N. Zahm Offline
Curtis

Re: First to 5,000 [Re: N. Zahm] #106196 03/21/07 05:15 PM
N. Zahm Offline
?

Re: First to 5,000 [Re: N. Zahm] #106198 03/21/07 05:15 PM
N. Zahm Offline
Tell

Re: First to 5,000 [Re: N. Zahm] #106199 03/21/07 05:15 PM
N. Zahm Offline
us

Re: First to 5,000 [Re: N. Zahm] #106200 03/21/07 05:15 PM
N. Zahm Offline

Re: First to 5,000 [Re: N. Zahm] #106214 03/21/07 07:15 PM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
I think it's the butler in the pantry with the candlestick!

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: First to 5,000 [Re: Curtis Chenoweth] #106261 03/22/07 03:02 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
147 to go for Swayz! I wonder if he's writing it now? The pressure is on for it to be a classic.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: First to 5,000 [Re: Chief Renegade] #106278 03/22/07 12:11 PM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
He's actually asleep in my guest bedroom at this current moment...

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: First to 5,000 [Re: Chief Renegade] #106282 03/22/07 12:41 PM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
Now Chief, that is to assume that Swayz has ever written anything but a classic. \:\)

Re: First to 5,000 [Re: Mike Furches] #108957 05/17/07 07:22 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
25 posts away. I can hear the drum roll. I should call Rick Reilly about this one.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: First to 5,000 [Re: Chief Renegade] #108985 05/19/07 03:18 PM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
I suggest we have a questions for Richard and Swayz section to maybe see if it all possible for Richard to make the race close. Keep them open and honest, and non threatening please.

I do have one for Richard.

Richard, I really do appreciate all of the updates you provide, I am amazed because they come from all kinds of places. My question would be, do you have those pages bookmarked or what? In other words how do you get your information? Again, I am impressed and realize the value that provides to these forums.

One for Swayz, would be: I know you keep in touch with various college coaches. What are they saying as of recent regarding Kansas HS wrestlers, and anyone under the radar that we don't know about?

Re: First to 5,000 [Re: Mike Furches] #109063 05/24/07 05:27 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
 Originally Posted By: Mike Furches
I suggest we have a questions for Richard and Swayz section to maybe see if it all possible for Richard to make the race close. Keep them open and honest, and non threatening please.

Richard, I really do appreciate all of the updates you provide, I am amazed because they come from all kinds of places. My question would be, do you have those pages bookmarked or what? In other words how do you get your information? Again, I am impressed and realize the value that provides to these forums.

One for Swayz, would be: I know you keep in touch with various college coaches. What are they saying as of recent regarding Kansas HS wrestlers, and anyone under the radar that we don't know about?

Well not to go into deep into detail, but I know we were all dissappointed with the performance of our guys at Sr. Nationals, but there are college coaches (especially from the East coast) that are contacting me like crazy.

For the most part colleges right now are looking for these weights in order of need (top 3 weights): 174 is top need, 197, and 285. If you are a light weight there is really not a high need this year, but the flood gates will open, although I will say that in the last week a lot of kids that have signed have changed their minds freeing up scholarship money.

I know of a DII school that contacted me out of PA today asking about several guys that were mainly runners up or 3rd in KS this year in the 112-125 range. I will say this, if you are going to be 112 or 103 as a senior you best have a record that has you having about 30 wins and less then 5 losses to even drum up interest (especially if you don't do summer wrestling).

As for some of the other weights, there are guys that took basically a Tshirt home from state, but impressed coaches at tournaments prior to that. Guys that wrestled in offseason folkstyle events really get coaching eyes opening up because for a lot of coaches it is the first time they have seen a kid wrestle, and folkstyle is what college does so it translates over better in terms of style then free or greco.

Talking with about 3 coaches, they said Fargo is great for competition, but bad in terms of recruiting and really getting a feel for a kid because of the inability to walk around closer to the mats in a more intimate setting, and the fact that FS/Greco are a different Beast then Folkstyle (I've seen some guys that are just poor at those styles that will be in a Folkstyle Championship 9 out of 10 times). These coaches shocked me but they really want to see kids at stuff like Sunflower State Games, Fall Brawl, Super32 and other events like that which take place off season but are folkstyle.

However, don't think doing FS/Greco is a waist of time. A majority (like 99%) of college coaches love the FS/Greco for conditioning sakes during the summer, and realize that the better athletes you are going to get to your school are the ones that focus on wrestling year round.

I know there are some kids that are multi-sport superstars and another thing that shocked me is some coaches don't seem to mind. If a kid is doing Football, Wrestling, and Baseball...then good, reason being it is good is because some parents push their kids too hard at one sport and you see burn out majorly on the next level. A kid once they choose to enter college will be emersed in a sport anyway that for now they need to just be kids.

Although if you are a senior and are wanting to be a college wrestler but are playing football or other sports, you need to allow yourself time during the season to work out a bit wrestling wise and have the ability to tell your respective coach, hey...I'm doing this to help you all out, but my plans in college are wrestling, that way if a tournament comes up like Fall Brawl or something and you are on a team, you can say, "Coach I'm not going to be here" and they can find a body, if they don't understand your long term goals, then they are being selfish (especially if you are in a big school where talent is a dime a dozen) -That was a long run on sentence by the way.

A thing kids need to realize too is how few wrestling (or any sports for that matter) are out there on the collegiate level. I hear about dissapointments when a kid doesn't hear from a certain program...Well, this is a no brainer to me, You have to Sell Yourself! Create a resume with stats from 9th grade on up including offseason including things like Record and weight each year, # of falls, School, Contact Information, GPA, ACT, off season succes, awards and honors in sport you are being recruited for, awards and honors in other sports participated in [coaches love the diversity], and Coach's Contact Information (this is so that a college coach can learn more about your work ethic and leadership in the room).

I think I rambled on long enough. If anybody has a desire to wrestle in college (especially some of you that just graduated but still can't find a school to go to, then contact me asap, and I'll fight to find you some money...trust me it is still out there!)

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: First to 5,000 [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #109087 05/25/07 03:38 PM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: Aaron Sweazy
 Originally Posted By: Mike Furches

Well not to go into deep into detail, but I know we were all dissappointed with the performance of our guys at Sr. Nationals, but there are college coaches (especially from the East coast) that are contacting me like crazy.

For the most part colleges right now are looking for these weights in order of need (top 3 weights): 174 is top need, 197, and 285. If you are a light weight there is really not a high need this year, but the flood gates will open, although I will say that in the last week a lot of kids that have signed have changed their minds freeing up scholarship money.

I know of a DII school that contacted me out of PA today asking about several guys that were mainly runners up or 3rd in KS this year in the 112-125 range. I will say this, if you are going to be 112 or 103 as a senior you best have a record that has you having about 30 wins and less then 5 losses to even drum up interest (especially if you don't do summer wrestling).

As for some of the other weights, there are guys that took basically a Tshirt home from state, but impressed coaches at tournaments prior to that. Guys that wrestled in offseason folkstyle events really get coaching eyes opening up because for a lot of coaches it is the first time they have seen a kid wrestle, and folkstyle is what college does so it translates over better in terms of style then free or greco.

Talking with about 3 coaches, they said Fargo is great for competition, but bad in terms of recruiting and really getting a feel for a kid because of the inability to walk around closer to the mats in a more intimate setting, and the fact that FS/Greco are a different Beast then Folkstyle (I've seen some guys that are just poor at those styles that will be in a Folkstyle Championship 9 out of 10 times). These coaches shocked me but they really want to see kids at stuff like Sunflower State Games, Fall Brawl, Super32 and other events like that which take place off season but are folkstyle.

However, don't think doing FS/Greco is a waist of time. A majority (like 99%) of college coaches love the FS/Greco for conditioning sakes during the summer, and realize that the better athletes you are going to get to your school are the ones that focus on wrestling year round.

I know there are some kids that are multi-sport superstars and another thing that shocked me is some coaches don't seem to mind. If a kid is doing Football, Wrestling, and Baseball...then good, reason being it is good is because some parents push their kids too hard at one sport and you see burn out majorly on the next level. A kid once they choose to enter college will be emersed in a sport anyway that for now they need to just be kids.

Although if you are a senior and are wanting to be a college wrestler but are playing football or other sports, you need to allow yourself time during the season to work out a bit wrestling wise and have the ability to tell your respective coach, hey...I'm doing this to help you all out, but my plans in college are wrestling, that way if a tournament comes up like Fall Brawl or something and you are on a team, you can say, "Coach I'm not going to be here" and they can find a body, if they don't understand your long term goals, then they are being selfish (especially if you are in a big school where talent is a dime a dozen) -That was a long run on sentence by the way.

A thing kids need to realize too is how few wrestling (or any sports for that matter) are out there on the collegiate level. I hear about dissapointments when a kid doesn't hear from a certain program...Well, this is a no brainer to me, You have to Sell Yourself! Create a resume with stats from 9th grade on up including offseason including things like Record and weight each year, # of falls, School, Contact Information, GPA, ACT, off season succes, awards and honors in sport you are being recruited for, awards and honors in other sports participated in [coaches love the diversity], and Coach's Contact Information (this is so that a college coach can learn more about your work ethic and leadership in the room).

I think I rambled on long enough. If anybody has a desire to wrestle in college (especially some of you that just graduated but still can't find a school to go to, then contact me asap, and I'll fight to find you some money...trust me it is still out there!)

Swayz I think that is the longest post I have ever seen you make, if you had broken it up you would have had that 5,000 post. Great stuff though.

Re: First to 5,000 [Re: Mike Furches] #109135 05/30/07 03:56 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
And he started it all of with "Well not to go into deep into detail"...

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: First to 5,000 [Re: Curtis Chenoweth] #109137 05/30/07 01:45 PM
Scarecrow_103 Offline
I would say that summer wrestling helps get your foot in the door but like Swayz says creating a resume is what kicks the door wide open. At least it did for me.

Re: First to 5,000 [Re: Scarecrow_103] #109147 05/30/07 09:43 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
Is there any benefit to filling out those recruiting questionnaires on the various college websites? My gut tells me no, but I thought I would ask the experts.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: First to 5,000 [Re: LancerLou] #109156 05/31/07 12:22 PM
Scarecrow_103 Offline
 Originally Posted By: LancerLou
Is there any benefit to filling out those recruiting questionnaires on the various college websites? My gut tells me no, but I thought I would ask the experts.

Yes that sometimes is your first contact with a coach. Some guys don't need to sell themselves, their ability and acheivments do it for them. But that questionaire is your first chance to let a coach know that you want to continue your wrestling career and your first chance to begin selling yourself. Some of the smaller schools don't get out of their own states or neighboring states much.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  usawks1 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Coach Burgess), 115 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,928
Posts250,357
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)