First, a little explanation! Whether her name is spelled Waunita, Jaunita, Wauneta … we are talking about the same women. Waunita, is a gypsy by birth. In her vagabond lifestyle, she has often changed her name to keep the believers befuddled and the non-believers, completely off-balance.

Next, the picture that Klint Deere is floating around … is one of the few pictures of Waunita and Yolanda!!! Descriptions of Waunita have varied throughout the years! On occasions, she might be described as 4’7”, 240 #’s, and a BMW. At other times, she is 5’8”, 130 #’s, and “kind of attractive in a rugged sort of way.” One distinguishing characteristic is her uni-brow! But as Richard can attest, the use of industrial strength Nair, can alter that!

I must tell you of a recent encounter with Waunita! I was at Hickory Hollow Golf Course where I work part-time. Twice this year, we have been completely flooded. A few days ago, following the most recent flood I was in the trees gathering limbs and such that had been washed in.

I was in the timber about 375 yards away from the nearest tee box. I was aware of someone on the tee but was engrossed in my MP3 player and was listening to, "You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind" by Smokin' Joe Walsh. My brother the Bracketman (where are you?) describes Walsh as “the pioneer in dry, provocative wit and entertainment, with an occasional walk on the political "incorrect" side.” I was singing along with the lyrics when I was puzzled! Walsh was screaming, “quatro Roscoe quatro.” I turned toward the tee box when suddenly I was aware of a howitzer coming toward me. Whacko … right between the eyes!

I had my eyes tightly closed! The pain was obvious but yet I felt a soothing calmness around me. My forehead had a cold compress on it and my head was being cradled in someone’s lap as they were gently stroking my hair! I batted my eyes a few times and began to focus on a woman’s face. She was kind of attractive in a rugged sort of way! I batted my eyes and peered at a uni-brow that belonged to Waunita! She kept softly uttering, “tell them my story, tell them my story!”

I closed my eyes at the gentle touch and drifted off to sleep. Whether it was seconds or hours, I don’t really know. But I awoke in the timber, all alone, and with the imprint of “Titleist” on my forehead. I recalled hearing the words “quatro” and remember thinking … four!!! Maybe she meant fore … but here is her story!

Now, I will take you back several years to the first introduction of Waunita to Kansas Wrestling! Perhaps I am over-stepping my bounds but Red Miller first revealed Waunita to the world.

A few years ago, Kansas wrestling had a 4-time State Champ named, Matt Gilliland. Most, knew this redhead as being from the great wrestling town of Hoxie. But a few, knew that Matt was originally from Manhattan!

About the same time, we on the forums became acquainted with Jhris Cennings from Manhattan. It was Red, that revealed to all that Matt and Jhris were actually brothers! The twins were born to Waunita!!

The conception has been a bone of contention with several. Waunita, who as I recall was living under the Manhattan bridge at the time, had a common law husband! (Red … you will have to fill in a few blanks in my memory) However, this husband was rendered sterile by some freak wrestling hold!

Anyway … Waunita found herself with child by an “immaculate contraption!” Fifteen months later, she gave birth to the twins, Matt and Jhris! One was a redhead and one had a uni-brow!

The recounting of the escapades is part on the archives in the Kansas Wrestling forum that we are still trying to recover. All of this is my best recollection!

Waunita has a lady of ink … she liked tattoos! She heard of a wrestling coach in Hoxie, Kansas that did artistic impressions in his basement! Waunita loaded up the twins and headed toward Coach Kirk Baker’s residence in Hoxie!

As I recall, they stopped off at the former Stuckey’s, now the Adult Superstore, outside of Abilene. There, they encountered a man named Nigel. Being short of funds, they managed to finance part of their trip by the twins doing magic acts while Waunita did a little pocket picking!

They arrived in Hoxie! Waunita arranged to be a canvas for a very artistic piece from Coach Baker. But Jhris, about 10 years old at the time, wanted a tattoo! He threw a fit … Waunita tried to calm the angry child but she couldn’t. Jhris wanted, “Viva la Taco Bell” tattooed on his hiney! Waunita however, was out of funds!!

Coach Baker, who was known to barter, made a deal. He would tattoo Jhris’s hiney if Waunita would leave the red headed Matt behind! Thus … Matt Gilliland was a 4-time State Champ for Hoxie instead of for Manhattan.

Now, you know of “part” of the relationship between Waunita, Manhattan, and Kansas Wrestling! The full involvement … between Waunita, Coach Rojo, Coach Rogon, and Coach Roscoe … is part of the lore. But those encounters are being furthered, in her encounters with Swayz, Klint, and yes, Chief Renegade!

Undoubtedly ... more will follow!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant