Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade
I did that on purpose so that you would not root for us. Thank you.
Balderdash! Typical Sooner poor sport.

Back in the Bud Wilkinson coached days, much like the Coach Stoops Oklahoma teams, the Sooners respected their opponents as well as their opponents fans. The Sooner fans of the Barry Switzer coached teams (the era Eric is referring to) hac NO respect for the opposition and displayed a brash arrogance unknown in modern sports era.

At one time I was Kansas Jayhawk season ticket holder, (during the Nolan Cromwell, Lavern Smith, etc., era), and after the Conrnhuskers kicked the dog snot out of the Jayhawks in Lawrence, the always large Big Red traveling contingent was almost apologetic after the game for the margin of victory. The Sooner fans were completely the opposite.

I have attended the Texas - Oklahoma football game on more than one occasion in Dallas, and while the Longhorn fans are difficult, the Sooner fans were always worse.

A team generally takes on the personality of their respective coach, and in the dominate Husker days there was always a sense of humility from Coaches Devaney and Osborne and his teams. There was never the same humility from the heavy booze swiggling and womanizing Switzer or his teams. As an example one only has to remember the Orange Bowl when Arkansas, after Coach Holtz suspended several starters for misbehavior in Miami, kicked the then second ranked Sooners and their opportunity for a National Championship.

Richard D. Salyer