Eric

No it really does not clear up things to me. Are you saying that a team with two qualifiers who are both going to end up placing second in a tournament of 224 participants is going to end up 9th in team scoring in that tournament? I just think if that was really possible that they would have placed a lot higher at Johnson County where they had two champions and even a third place finisher. In all probability in such a tournament they are not going to scoring as many premium points as they would in other tournaments. I really don't mean to be picking on St. James because they are a fine well coached team that is on the rise. I just think this is a flawed concept for doing an all class team ranking. It seems like you are not giving enough credit to the depth of teams like 24/7 mentioned who are going to have more placers in the top 4 of all 14 weight classes and how many points they might be scoring on the backside even from those wrestlers who do not end up placing at this mythical Grand State tournament. They may not be currently ranked in your top ten but they could still be scoring points on the backside in such a tournament. I have seen in action how valuable backside team scoring can be in a state tournament.

I would not be that interested in team scoring in such a grand state tournament. Such a tournament to me would be a lot more about individual accomplishment rather than team accomplishment. I think the results of such a tournament would be making more of a statement about individuals rather than teams. However, it would be fun to see that type of grand state individual tournament.

But as far as a team grand state championships goes, I like to see the dual format first. If it was going to be a non dual team competition format, I think it would be a more fair assessment of the top all class teams to have the top finishing four finishing teams in each class compete in a grand state team championship in a regular individual bracket tournament.

I have had my say on this issue. I will stop and listen to a possible reply from Eric and anyone else who cares to contribute to this particular issue.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions