Good discussion guys! I appreciate the input and am certainly not bothered by the valid points you have brought up.

My criteria becomes more valid the tougher the tournament. The confusion comes from a lack of understanding about the differences in formats. A Grand State tournament would have 16 wrestlers consisting of the top 4 from each class. Vince's points about entire teams, class tournaments, JOCO and especially Dual strength are irrelevant. The Dual format is my favorite by far, yet has no relevance in the All-Class discussion. I am considering adding another Team ranking that does include that distinction. You are correct that SJA will likely not be in the top 10 in 4A. Yet.....most of the teams that finished ahead of SJA at JOCO would have zero, one or two wrestlers in the tournament and would be outscored by SJA. In 1976, Goodland won Class 3A and KMC won Grand State. In the same way, many of those wrestlers that placed at JOCO would go 0-2 in a Grand State format and score zero points.

Admittedly, my new team ranking criteria gives us a more specialized view of team strength. The top teams are unchanged by it, but the lower half of the top 10 changes quite a bit. I will consider either adding a Dual team strength ranking or go back to my previous criteria on ranking the teams. Once I did the math, I just knew we would have a discussion about the inclusion of SJA. If I had overlooked the true scoring and put CC or SC in place of SJA, we would not have heard any objections.

Stay tuned!

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12