I did something similar a few years ago, you can even have some of the minor teams, play in bowls, but not in the playoff. I think my formula had like 16 teams, very similar to the old NCAA D II format. I agree, add pay per view options in there if need be and it is a financial windfall. I think the best complaint was the travel involved, but that is why have the pay per view option and I still believe bottom line, a ton of people are excited. Imagine in round one for example, The Liberty Bowl would have had the #1 team playing against the #16 team; you can't convince me that they wouldn't have as many people going to see that as they had in their bowl as it was.

I hear people say, well at least the victors of each bowl leaves feeling good, I say those are typically people who have never competed in sport. Every athlete I know has a competitive side that wants to either know who is the best, or have the chance to prove they are the best. You don't get that with the current bowl system.

Now not to get political here, but I for one am glad that at least Obama is bringing some discussion to this by his strong support of a playoff system.

Note on my system, you basically add one week to the season, or take out an off week, and the season runs the same length of time as it does now, and you get to play some of those "poweder-puff" games that provide experience for some, hope for others, and financial help for some of those smaller schools that need the revenue.

Using a 16 team format, it would have looked something like this using the BCS Rankings at the end of the season:

Oklahoma / BYU -
Penn State / Boise State -
Utah / TCU -
Alabama / Oklahoma State -

Texas / Georgia Tech -
Texas Tech / Ohio State -
USC / Cincinnati -
Florida / Georgia -