Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade

After running through each bracket at State, I have given the edge to Colby and have moved them up to #3. A question for you Rick... What would be the upside for me to have a big school bias? Why would I care how big the school is? Certainly the level of competition comes into play, but especially in 4A that is not an issue. I applied a point system to each team's State placer's and then looked at the strength of the brackets. I just can't imagine someone having a motivated preference for schools based on enrollment and every time I hear that it makes me laugh a bit.

I'm not sure your big school bias is intentional, just a result of where you are, the State tournament you attended, and the schools you watch most of the year. I don't think you have some evil plan to under rank the smaller schools from West of where you live and see all year, it just happens at times in my opinion.

No person on earth is capable of not having some bias in their opinion and I would have never said a word about it except it seemed a little ridiculous that Colby (and even Clay Center) were ranked below a team that they both beat so badly at a major tournament. You are always saying to provide criteria and you will take that into consideration (which you apparently have now done) so that is what I did.

I hope you know that if we had never seen Derby anywhere, I would have never pointed anything out because when there is no criteria, your opinion is what it is and cannot be spoken against. I also want you to know that I am not one of those people who would say "these are a joke" or whatever those people who have no criteria to point to say, but I felt like your ranking said one thing and the criteria said another. That is what I meant by a big school bias (but not an evil plan)!

Rick Williams
Colby High School