Originally Posted By: XGHSWC
Bonilla is indeed a junior.
I have been wanting to comment about him and others from 103-119 for some time but was hoping someone else would so I would not be the bad guy who is offending someone. It looks as though no one else is going to comment about it though, so I will.
To begin with, I will reiterate that Chief is doing a great job with the rankings and I commend him for his efforts. I really enjoy the rankings, they are really fun.
With that said, I do not see how anyone, especially a freshman, can be ranked ahead of Bonilla other than Pursel. The freshman listed at 103 are all indeed legit for freshman but it is a long way from 14 and under 90 to high school 103 and I do not think they have earned that yet. Bonilla was kids state champ at 105 not 90. Additionally, he was second last year at kids state to Prescott by a point in a monster bracket and was second this year at Brute Nationals at 105. Based on these things, I believe Bonilla should be #2 at 103 and I can't wait to see him and Pursel go at it.
I also believe there is way too much emphasis on this years kids state results with regard to 103 as I see why you put the freshman where you did. There are other returning high school state placers that if they go 103 should be ranked ahead of these freshman. Guys like Calderon, Garcia, Wolfe, Lies, Mieher, Goepfert, Avelar, etc. Guys like Dremel and Kolterman should be factored also, but I beleive they will go at 112. There are guys that qualified for high school state that did not place but should still be factored like Perez, Hodges, Dean, Harris, Torrez, etc. There are others I am forgetting also.
I believe that Vieyra should be ranked. I see why he is not, because he placed behind Burley, Mulligan, Reed at kids state but I do not think he should be measured just on that. He was a high school state qualifier last year giving up a lot of weight. Maybe he just had a bad weekend this year at kids state. Since then he has gotten even better and placed at Fargo. I believe he should be measured by that and should be ranked. If Calderon goes 103, he should be ranked. He placed at high school state behing Windham, Whitten and Dremel. This year, I know at kids state he was one win from placing in a very difficult bracket won be Pursel but last year he won a monster bracket at kids state beating Burley in the final. If Wolfe goes 103, he should definately be ranked as he placed at high school state beating the bigger Hood that is ranked at 112.
I believe at 112 that Schumacher could beat half of the ranked 112 pounders and should be about #6, #7 at the lowest. I know that he is Chief's boy so Chief doesn't want to put him up there like that but he has only had like 2 losses in the last three years losing in the kids state finals to Pursel.
At 119, Wrestler should be about #4 or #5. He placed at high school state last year at 119. He has proven himself at that weight. The rest of the guys were at 112 or even 103.
So these are my opinions based on evidence. Again, I mean no disrepect to all of the ranked freshman. They are all indeed legit but they should still have to earn the rankings. I believe there are other "returners" that have already earned that.
Have a great day!

Coach Lemon,

Thanks for the input. All info is appreciated, especially those with specific insight to certain weights. I will finish more on this tomorrow but thought I would address a few points you made. All of the wrestlers you mentioned were considered. I spent a LOT of time on 103-119 and got back great information from their coaches and parents like yourself that have wrestlers in the hunt at these weights. I am releasing the 4A and 6A rankings this coming weekend and those mentioned will be ranked.

Specific losses kept many of the wrestlers you brought up off the list. Specifically:

Calderon - 15 losses
Dean - 15
Vieyra - 15
Hodges - 13
Torrez - 13
Garcia - 12
Perez - 11
Lies - 10
Avelar - 9

Wolfe, Kolterman and Dremel are moving up in weight. I never got back an answer on weights for Avelar or Goepfert. In many cases I left messages at the school, e-mailed coaches and posted on this forum, asking for their anticipated weights.

The freshmen that I have ranked have earned their spot in my opinion, through national competition. There is one notable freshman that I omitted at 112 that will probably be a human wrecking ball to my current top 10.

Again, these are pre-season rankings. Give me specific criteria and I will change them. Just being freshmen is not enough to keep them off.

I will try and add to this topic tomorrow.

Last edited by Chief Renegade; 11/02/09 02:44 AM.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12