I couldnt give you any exact numbers off the top of my head and I assume that a 321 or 4A regional would be much different than a single day 5 or 6A tournament with only 8 teams.
I believe the school gets 25% of the gate after paying the Officials, the Plaques and Medals are provided by KSHSAA. out of that 25% the school pays all expenses.
Things the school must pay have been touched on above. but include things like, Custodial help(possibly overtime), table workers, computer personell(to run brackets and update online), paper and copy expenses, Seeding meeting food and drinks, T-shirts for all workers, Hospitality Room expenses for coaches/workers/cheerleaders/officials, Last year we rented a Dollumar mat to make 3 full mats fit in our gym $300, Score Clocks if necessary for 3rd mat. I am sure I am forgetting some other things but in the end I have been told it usually costs $1000-$1500. ( I also know many of the things above could be donated or volunteer and usually are.)
The community makes that back and then some. Also the team would have expenses to travel to a tournament especially if they stay overnight, pay a bus driver, fuel and food. So in the end it benefits the community but may cost the district a little bit. Right now most districts are really tightened up and may not be as willing to commit to this.
I figure that may be the reason for the delay. KSHSAA really should consider giving a little more to the schools, it is a tremendous amount of work for the A.D. to run a tournament.