Basketball = three nights at central site; two games per night. 4 hours per night; = 12 hours. One person on the book, one on the clock and one announcer. Three people per night.

Regional Touurnament = day 1 of 6-8 hours and day 2 of 11-12 hours = 17 to 20 hours. Three mats = three clock operators and three scorekeepers. At head table = scorer, asst. scorer and announcer. 9 people for 3/4 of the tournament

Understanding that not all do it the same way, I am going to compare the two events based on the experiences I have as the result of having been directly responsible for hosting both events:

Sub-State Basketball = one custodian on duty; EMT? Probably not.
Someone on duty for blood clean-up? Puh-leez!
Regional Wrestling = Custodians on duty entire time and with overlapping schedules. We hire ambulance/EMT and have on site. Blood spill person(s)? Yes and they should have hepatitis inoculations! (I just cringe when I see some places using kids to do this).

Substate Basketball = no set-up except to roll out the ball rack and turn on the scoreboard. Sweep the bleachers when done.
Regional wrestling = SEVERAL hours of prep work and set-up and then several hours of tear-down and clean up.

Substate Basketball = teams and fans in and out; not very hard on facility
Regional Wrestling = teams and fans "camp out" all day for two days; hard on facility; plumbing, water use, etc.

Substate Basketball: electricity use on Thursday and Friday not too much more than usual as most teams would be practicing or playing games anyway. The big difference between Basketball & Wrestling in utility use is the Saturday component of the Regional Tournament.

Sub-State Baskeetball = scorebook, pencil & buzzer.
Regional Wrestling - bout sheets, computer, printer, mat tappers, bout card runners, floor "security"(gotta keep fans off the mats!)

Sub-State Basketball = games are almost completely confined to the gym and gym lobby.
Regional Wrestling = A large portion of the facilty is used; room for seed meeting and coaches meeting(s), room for cheerleader hospitality, warm-up area, cafeteria in addition to the concession area (some will eat two to three meals on site!).

The Biggest difference between sub-state Basketball and Regional Wresting is the manpower needed and the extent to which the facility is used.

Hosting a regional wrestling tournament is a LOT of work and very labor intensive (as in lots of hands are needed) and the week of it is about all an A.D. works on. That said, it is a GREAT event and we would/will never turn down the opportunity to host it.