I want to highlight a point about a regional from last year-to preclude it happening again this year.

The 5A Regional at KC Bishop Miege sent regional wrestlers to State who did not win a regional match, and several wrestlers who won only one match. Why? Lots and lots of openings in about every weight bracket.

Not fair to lots of wreslers in every weight class in every regional in every classification. Should have to work, and work hard to get to STATE.

Should be a provision that all state qualifiers have to have won at least one regional match. If no qualifier, than have a procedure to identify and select a non qualifing wrestler in the same weight class in another regional to fill the vacancy. Would also use such a procedure to fill out State bracket vacancies due to injuries and DQs at region.

Added. May also look at breaking up regionals that geographically have a lot of schools with small teams (i.e. lots of opens) by cross assigning/sending some of those schools to another near by regional. I will not mention schools or districts, but I think everyone knows who I am talking about.

Bill Mason Lansing