Originally Posted By: John Johnson
Given the 2009-2010 classifications show Clay Center with 254 and goddard with 1160 I would think the fact Clay Center can even be in this discussion is a 'hugh' compliment to them. And, Will has a real point, 16 man brackets create real opportunities for upsets and injuries which can never be calculated in.

10-4, sure John, props to Clay Center on that. But honestly, the whole size comment would be more valid if we were talking about a team sport. We know that the individual nature of the sport neutralizes a little of that but sure, props to Clay Center for even being "in the discussion".

As for the brackets, the unbalanced 6A 8-man regionals create just as much of an opportunity for upsets, etc. as the 16-man 4A brackets. As I have mentioned before, in 6A and 5A but particularly 6A, the regionals are really unbalanced. I have seen many situations where someone did not even qualify through one of the two toughest 6A regionals and they had beaten someone earlier in the year who placed in 4A state. My son was 4th in his 6A regional bracket but placed 5th at state. He majored the #1 from one of the weaker regionals first round at state and then beat the #3 from the other tough regional who knocked off the #2 from the other weak regional. This happens every year. My son had also previously beaten the 5th place medalist in both the 4A and 5A state bracket so his 6A state bracket was just as tough as the 4A state bracket. Goddard also had a kid named Selves, a senior with a really good record and Basehor medalist, at 135 who had beaten the 3rd place state medalist in the 4A bracket at 135 and Selves didn't even qualify from that toughest 6A regional referred to previously. The fact that Selves did not qualify would be considered an upset. So if you tell Selves that 6A is easier to qualify because it has an 8-man regional bracket instead of a 16-man regional bracket, he will think you are crazy because he beat the 3rd place 4A state medalist and didn't even qualify in 6A.