Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade
I grew up going to a Methodist church on Christmas and Easter whether I liked it or not. I always thought I was a Christian, that the bible was good, Jesus was good and that I was good. When I was 34 I visited a church by my house and shortly thereafter was visited by three people from the church. I remember seeing them pull up and I saying, "Why are the church people here?" They asked me two of the most important questions that I've ever been asked. First, was I at a place in my spiritual life that if I died that day, was I sure that I'd go to heaven? Then they asked me, if I died that day and I stood before God and He asked me, Eric, why should I let you in My heaven? I remember pausing for a long while. Thinking silently of answers like, I try to do the right thing or I think I'm a pretty good person. I decided those answers were pretty weak so I said, I don't know. It was then that they shared the gospel of Jesus Christ with me. At the end, they asked if I wanted to pray for salvation in Christ and I said no. I wasn't embarrassed to say no, I just didn't know what yes would mean. They thanked me for the conversation and said they hoped to see me back at church. After they left, I found a bible that I had never read and went straight to the end to see how it ended. I never do that with books but was very interested at that point to read the end. In Revelation 21:8, it talks about all these bad people that would end up in the lake of fire. I didn't associate myself with any of those people. Then I stared at the word for one group of people in that verse. It said "unbelievers. By saying no, I was defined as an unbeliever. Now that bothered me. God used that answer to get me to find out what the bible actually said. I went to church Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday night. I sat front and center and was amazed at who Jesus actually was. I thought the book was all about love and found out about God's holiness and wrath. It took me nine months to pour over scripture and finally realized that I was seperated from a holy, righteous and just God because of my sin. In July of 1996, I put my faith and trust in Jesus Christ and His finished work on the cross for my salvation.

That's my story Dean!

Cool story brother Eric! Even if you do not consider this non-fundy your brother any more. Ha.

Sounds like you got the James Kennedy evangelism program put on you (I think they called it "Evangelism Explosion" or something like that - one could google it if they wanted to). That had a nice, big long run for several years. Then Rick Warren came
along . . .

Thanks again for sharing.

Sincerely,

Dean

Last edited by dwelsh; 03/04/11 01:20 PM.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)