I said I wouldn't respond, but I'm bored so here goes.

Originally Posted By: forests
im not posting on this forum anymore, but before i leave though id might aswell ask you, Kale Mann can you actually provide some evidence for macroevolution?

im a science student in uni, and from all the evidence i have studied, it points to microevolution only, which is just the variation within a species due to change in genetic information with already exists. Macroevolution has never been observed, genetic information can not just magically appear. Macroevolution is a scientific impossibility.

IF you are actually a science student, can I provide evidence that you have not already been exposed to- I certainly hope not or you are receiving a very poor education. Also, my guess is that any evidence that I supply you will have some "alternative" explanation, but remember- any explanation that invokes a supernatural process is a LESS scientific explanation.
So . . . what about Fossil Evidence, Genetic Similarities, Similarities in Organic molecules (such as hemoglobin), Vestigial Structures, Symbiotic Relationships (mutualistic and parasitic), etc, etc, etc.

In addition Evolution does not distinguish between "microevolution" and "macroevolution" that is a false barrier put up by those that would work to undermine and discredit the theory of evolution. Change is change and change is evolution. No one can dispute that change has not occurred. We don't use the same antibiotics or pesticides we used 50 years ago, why- because natural selection has led to a change in the affected organisms. This is called evolution. Is it speciation? No- but evolution says given enough time, selective pressure, and reproductive isolation the change can lead to new species. Has this been directly observed- not that I am aware of but that does not mean it does not happen. It only means the time scale it takes are too long for us to observe. If witnesses are required for belief (or in science’s case understanding) than how can anyone have belief in anything that occurred prior to their own life? Do we discredit everything in a history class because we ourselves have not seen it? I can’t prove the US Revolution happened because I did not witness it nor can I talk to anyone who did, but I see the evidence for it around me today. It seems that sometimes those who so fervently demand PROOF for one explanation- accept another blindly with no such criteria. Again, it is their right to do so, but should they also be so vocally critical of an alternative explanation?

I assume if you are a college student you are in your late teens or early 20's. Can you notice a difference in your appearance on a daily basis? What about hourly, or each secord? Probably not, but there are differences- they are just too subtle to notice. But if you looked at yourself only once a decade in the mirror- you would notice large differences, because it takes extended time for the little daily changes to register. Multiply that by a million or so and that is the time frame we would need to be able to observe in order to see speciation occur- or what you refer to as macroevolution.

As far as your claim:
Originally Posted By: forests
genetic information can not just magically appear.

Scientifically speaking you are correct- MAGIC can play no role in a scientific explanation as that would be invoking a supernatural explanation. However there are things called mutations, which can cause change in the DNA several ways such as: deletions of DNA, substitutions of base pairs of DNA, or insertions of DNA multiple times which adds DNA to an organism. In addition during the process of Meiosis (which is how sexual reproductive cells are made such as pollen, sperm, egg, etc.) a process called crossing over occurs. This is when 2 homologous chromosomes (they are the pairs of chromosomes you get from your parents- 1 from each)literally cross over eachother and exchange DNA. It has been documented that occasionally they do not cross over at the same place which leads to one chromosome having less DNA than it initially did and one chromosome having more DNA than it initially did. Another possible source of DNA addition is from viral activity. Many viruses have what is called a lysogenic (or dormant) protion of the life cycle. This is when the virus injects it's DNA into your cell, and the DNA becomes integrated into your DNA. Each time the cell divides, it unknowingly copies the viral DNA and passes it on to the new cell too. The virus lays dormant until something happens and it becomes active again. This is why a cold sore seems to pop up occasionally (us wrestlers should know that a cold sore and the herpes infections seen on many wrestlers foreheads are essentially the same virus, and that is why we can get outbreaks). Another example of this occuring is chickenpox and shingles. If the virus never becomes active again, the DNA can stay in the cell indefinitely. If this occurs in bacterial cells (yes bacteria get viruses too) that DNA is passed on to each new bacterial cell produced. If the viral DNA is inserted into a more complex organism's sexual reproductive cells than that DNA can get passed on to offspring.

There are several explanations that have been both documented and do not invoke "magic" for the addition of DNA into the genome of an organism.

Head Coach- Blue Valley High School