Andy,

It's always a good discussion and I appreciate your input. What drives my faith is the person and work of Jesus Christ. My belief is that the bible is the only objective truth known to mankind. It is without error. I came to the point in my life where I quit trusting in myself and the ideas that I had of how God should be and I trusted solely in Christ for my salvation. I certainly never want to come across more righteous than anyone but with humility, knowing that I'm a sinner saved by the grace of God. When a Christian has that faith that the bible is the word of God and that Christ is the cornerstone, it is many times perceived as unbending and not open-minded. In my mind, open-minded means undecided. I have decided to follow Jesus. Along with that decision, I am compelled to tell others about Him and His exclusivity. As my verse Acts 4:12 says, "There is no salvation in any other", there is an urgency that I have to share. I have to overcome being embarrassed or avoiding conflict and in love, share the truth about how you get to heaven. We are all one hearbeat away and we can't get this wrong. As to your point about the golden rule, most religions think that the golden rule merits you eternal life. According to the bible, those good works are a result of a regenerate heart. As a believer, you can't help but do good works. All credit goes to God, zero to us. Having said that, I have to tell my kids the truth. That truth would exclude other paths. One way is right and the others are wrong. It is truly exclusive and offensive but He is the Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world. "For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it. Matt. 7:14

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12