I can honestly say that I have never seen a match of that caliber at the high school level, and I'm not sure I ever will again.

I do not want to discuss the match itself because the video shows it all in its glory.

I would like to, however, talk about the two young men that went to war last night. This match truly symbolizes sportsmanship at its finest. Something we fans might overlook is that both of these young men are not only FABULOUS wrestlers, but they are young men who are highly respected in their community for their character, integrity and academic prowess. It is my understanding that both young men, and I can speak for Butler since he's one of my wretlers, are both in the running for valedictorian/saludatorian in their respective high schools. Both wrestlers have been recruited to IVY League schools for their academics as well as their athletic ability. As a coach, a teacher and a father I could not be more proud of 2 young men with the grace and composure they handled this high profile, high stress matchup.

Will Geary is a beast of a man with the highest of character. Too often in this sport we see guys lose on the mat then lose their heads after. There was no headgear throw, no whining to officials, no pouting after the match was over. The embrace after the match was a showing of mutual respect and admiration for one another. You might not notice, but it sticks out to me, that both of these wrestlers were the first on their teams through the team lineup to congratulate their opponents.

I got to talk with Will after the match and he is a very well spoken, polite and respectiful young man. He spent about 5-10 minutes after the match talking with Nathan and Nathan's family, and as an outsider you would think that they've been friends for years.

I know I speak for the Leavenworth Wrestling family that we wish Will the best in all that he does both this year and in his future. KU will be getting an amazing young man to be a part of their football program...that is if Will doesn't decide to go to college to wrestle.

Thank you Nathan and Will for demonstrating the truest sense of sportsmanship and reaffirming the greatness of this sport!

Justin Bode
Leavenworth High School Boys and Girls Assistant
Tournament Director