Originally Posted By: Dean Welsh
Originally Posted By: Beeson
At WORST it was unsportsmanlike conduct. I have seen put hands in the face harder that and get told to just settle down. The official should have brought them both back to the center of the mat and told them to keep it clean.

It might already be in this thread and I'll have to go back and find it . . . but what does the RULEBOOK state regarding what a FM is?

To me it looked like it was not a legit td attempt but rather a frustrated attempt to give Meck some 'pay-back pain' . . . with too much testosterone pumping. Still a sad deal.

Totally agree, this does not look like a takedown attempt. It is hard to take someone down when your arms are behind your back. Also, if it was a setup to initiate a headlock I have no idea how that could have worked as his arms were no where near his opponent.

I think the right call was probably made as that type of blow to the head is very dangerous and has no place in the sport of wrestling. Look at all the ongoing controversy that we're seeing in contact sports like football with head-to-head contact and the research that is being done on brain damage caused by concussions. The only way to prevent this in the sport of wrestling is through harsh penalties. It's a difficult situation because of the side story of Wilson battling back from injury, he and Meck's friendship, and the fact that this is his senior season.

Very unfortunate circumstance, but sometimes you've got to just bite the bullet and live to fight another day, and not let your emotions, testosterone, adrenaline, etc. get the best of you.

Best of luck to both wrestlers in their future endeavors.

[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]