Always start with the rule:

Flagrant misconduct is any physical act...considered by the referee to be serious enough to disqualify a contestant...includ[ing]...butting.

So if the official thought it was a head butt, he followed the rule. Whether he has discretion not to follow the rule is an interesting question but some obviously think he does. Could he ignore a little bite or call it UC? Or a light slug? Should he downgrade the call because its Regionals and the consequences are greater than a regular match? Honestly, from what I can see on the video, which isn't much, it would have been less controversial to call it UC or UR. But do you want officials that are calling it like they see it, or calling it to avoid upsetting the fans and coaches?

For those that think there is some "appeal" to the state I've never heard of one. And there's no clear basis, under the rule, to change it.

For those asking about coach questioning the call--they have the right to do so. A call can be reversed by the official, and should be if he believes he misapplied the rule.

For those that are trying to quantify how "bad" this was, what the wrestler's intent was, or trying to apply situational ethics because it was a big call in a big match, those are things that an official has to deal with every time he steps out on the mat. There are dozens of "either way" calls every day. If you start worrying about the venue you are in trouble.

The video isn't a very good one, doesn't really show much from the angle, and there's not enough film to see if there was anything leading up to the butt. But he lead with the head and made contact. Under the rule, that's just like leading with a fist and making contact.

If the official did a "double reversal" as reported that is unfortunate because it makes him appear uncertain and unsure of himself.

The one "out" for a young official in this situation, and its hard for coaches to do, is if the coaches thought it was a bad call that both of them go to the table and ask that it be reversed. If that had happened, both head coaches asked for it, I believe the official might have changed his call. That didn't happen here, obviously. But I've had an opposing coach support the complaining coach's position and it makes reversing the call very easy.