Originally Posted By: Mike Juby
One major problem with an online talk forum is that statements can be repeated so frequently that they become generally accepted as true, even when preceded with qualifiers such as "if it is true" or "assuming things were as stated."
It has also been alleged that the Shawnee Heights coaches were pushing for the FM call, an allegation that has been then repeated several times until it appears to be almost accepted as fact.

I have heard from the SHHS coaching staff and, although they admitted to being upset over the head butt, they were adamant that they did not request or pressure the official to declare a flagrant misconduct. I know Coach Parks well and am confident that he would not deny this if it were the case. I'd like to caution everyone about being careful about accepting unsupported allegations as fact!

Originally Posted By: Mark J Stanley
Here is what I saw...

Meck had the match in hand (but when you can work head/arm like Spencer you are never out of it)

With time running out, Wilson "lunged" at Meck...the video is now posted so everyone on here can make their own judgment. The only one who knows for sure what the "intent" of the lunge was is Wilson...but my interpretation was that it was not intended to harm Meck in a "Flagrant" manner. I thought he was lunging to get a reaction from Meck that he could exploit...kind of like Meck's "spinning back fist" that doesn't hit the mark does. Because his opponents react to his motion and it sets up a double leg. Meck had two of these "spinning back fist" attempts that failed in the match up at Centennial League versus Wilson.
After the incident occurred Wilson handled the situation "in control" (he in no way looked like someone who was “out of control” that warranted a career ending FM call to end his senior season). Seaman's coaches did not stomp their feet and act out of control... they knew that a FM call could not be argued mat side. If it were to be reversed or overturned it would have to be the decision of the referee or through an appeal to KSHSAA. The Official did initially reverse/overturn the call and changed the call to unsportsmanlike conduct (which would not of carried the same penalty as Flagrant Misconduct)...he did so on his own after consulting with the second official on the mat. Which is what Meck was asking for (if read his comments in the CJ Online article you will see for yourself…”LET IT GO”). The Shawnee Heights coaches in the corner felt differently and pleaded the case to the official to stick with his original call. After some deliberation, that is what the official did…he reversed his reversal and Spencer was called for Flagrant Misconduct.

After the “final” ruling Wilson handled himself with class...while disappointed he didn't in anyway act out of control. He discussed the ruling calmly with the official and hung his head. Meck and Wilson were both witnessed together 15 minutes after the call occurred and there appeared to be no hard feelings on either side (as reported in the article by CJ Online above).

Wilson is a good kid that has had a few tough draws in his life…this may just be the latest in that string. I am sure he will handle this situation as he has any other hurdle he has faced. What I have witnessed over the years is a young man that is willing to work with our young kids in club rooms, I have seen him officiating at tourneys on Sunday's, and he put a lot of work in to come back from a severe auto accident last Spring let alone get back to where he is at as a competitor on the mat. I have never witnessed Spencer Wilson out of control in any way…and I still say this after what I witnessed on Saturday.

I am positive that Spencer wishes he could have the “3 seconds” back on Saturday to "do over". The point of this post is to retell what occurred on Saturday with “context” and to tell the wrestling community that I am still a Spencer Wilson "fan". I do this under my own name and will stand behind him. I am not sure if Spencer will be able to get a second chance this weekend or not. That decision is above my pay grade...but I ask the wrestling community to please support this young man if he does, because I believe he deserves a second chance and he has earned all of our support for the composite of his actions both on and off the mat. I only hope when I meet my maker I am not judged by the worst “3 seconds” of my life alone. Thank you.

Mark Stanley

I was not there, but from the above post by Mark Stanley, he said HERE IS WHAT I SAW.

Somebody is wrong. Either Stanley did NOT see the SMH coaches pleading for the FM, or the SMH coaches were not being truthful when they said that they were not arguing with the official for FM.

One or the other. The fact that the officials reversed a reversal would argue that they were persuaded to change it, by something or someone. Sounds to me like someone...,

Last edited by BulldogAlum; 02/19/13 06:14 PM.