Officiating is a tough job, I have officiated myself, and I know that the highest accolade for an official if for him/her to be "transparent", that is, to do their job in such a manner as to be non-obtrusive as much as is possible. In this case, I agree with others that Wilson brought much on himself with his late action. Was it deserving of FM? Probably not, if the official's indecisiveness is any indication. When in doubt, you don't hand out a career-ending penalty such as FM. Not just my opinion, either:

Originally Posted By: Rford
If the official did a "double reversal" as reported that is unfortunate because it makes him appear uncertain and unsure of himself.

The one "out" for a young official in this situation, and its hard for coaches to do, is if the coaches thought it was a bad call that both of them go to the table and ask that it be reversed. If that had happened, both head coaches asked for it, I believe the official might have changed his call. That didn't happen here, obviously. But I've had an opposing coach support the complaining coach's position and it makes reversing the call very easy.

The bolded portion above just strengthens my belief that not only did the SMH coaches not ask for the call to be USC, but that they actively lobbied for the FM.
Why else the re-reversal?