Originally Posted By: BulldogAlum
Originally Posted By: Dean Welsh
Originally Posted By: J. Sauder
Wow, quit blaiming the official. Do you really think officials just throw out Flagrant Misconduct calls randomly? Do you really think the official here didn't know what was at stake? It was a head butt. Head butts are illegal. When an illegal move occurs there is a penalty. The kid (and I believe he is a good kid) made a bad decision and is paying the price. For the love of all, quit blaming the official!

Agreed. I'm sure the ref HATING making that call. But like another man of the past, he was held "captive by his conscience" and could make no other decision.

"Here I stand." MLK, the Reformer

Some talk about the call being change and Mr. Wilson being allowed to compete at the state meet. Can any one give one example of such a thing as that ever occurring at the state meet? I'm just curious.

Wouldn't it be insulting and possibly demoralizing to the ref?

Why would it be any worse than overturning a call by a football official? For certain, there is a lot more riding on a possible overturning of this call than on overturning a football official's incomplete pass call, for example.

1. The NFL has NEVER overturned a call of an official on the field, nor has the NCAA, nor has KSHSAA.

2. Mark Lentz and KSHSAA are not endowed with the power to overturn this call and they wouldn't even if they could because the NFHS rule book specifically states that matters of judgement by the official are final.

I'm actually kind of confused as to why some people seem to think that the potential to change this call from KSHSAA is even a possibility, such action would undermine all faith that governing bodies put into their officials. This isn't the court system.