Originally Posted By: RJW1
Actually, the term catholic with a little c means universal. The term was used initially because prior to the schism in the 1000's and the Reformation that began a few centuries later, it was the one universal Christian Chirch of Europe. After the Reformation, Catholic with an upper case C became a term generally associated with the Roman Catholic denomination.

I would encourage people to find a faith where they can grow spiritually, but then again, I'm not a spiritual bigot!

We could split hairs on your first paragraph (see another definition of the word below) but this forum is not about religion and/or 'word-smithing'.

And, I agree with your second paragraph.

Finally, I am not a spiritual bigot. May God keep **all** safe this weekend. Catholics with an upper case 'C', catholics with a lower class 'c', believers and unbelievers, ALL people.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Word Origin & History

catholic
c.1350, "of the doctrines of the ancient Church," lit. "universally accepted," from L.L. catholicus "universal, general," from Gk. katholikos, from phrase kath' holou, from kata "about" + gen. of holos "whole" (see safe (adj.)). Applied to the Church in Rome c.1554, ***after*** the Reformation.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

*Therefore, the word's original intent and origin was meant to be for all believers of Christ. The church of Rome, 'hijacked' the word and made it their own . . . AFTER the Reformation.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)