Originally Posted By: Ref
I agree with Beeson. Reversal 2, no NF. It matters when the referee considers the wrestler to have established control, this is a judgment call on when he feels that control has been gained.

If you use the timer on the youtube video I think control could have been established sometime during the second between 0:07 and 0:08 when the left leg goes in and the bottom wrestlers hips begin to drop. The referee signals the reversal almost right at 0:08. This is natural because he needs to make sure the kid has control first before awarding the point. Everyone has seen a referee award reversals or takedowns too quickly only to have the other kid scramble out of it.

Let the video go forward to 0:09 second and pause it. The kid is CLEARLY out of nearfall criteria. He's at 90 degrees already by the time the referee moves so we can see it. Therefore he had to have been out of NF criteria at least an instant before the referee moves so we can see it.

Adding this time together I think it was about 1.5 sec that the kid was in NF. Therefore no NF points should be awarded. The referee appears to have a full two count but it is almost impossible for a referee to stop his arm motion at exactly the instant a kid comes out of NF criteria so his arm appears to give a full two count even though the kid came out of NF criteria. And you can see that at the 0:09 mark, the kid is out of NF criteria and the referees arm is not quite all the way extended for the full count. Even if his arm gets fully extended he has to make the decision in his mind, "did the kid come out of NF criteria before my arm was fully extended?" I think the answer is yes he did.

That analysis took about 2 minutes to do by video. The official had ONLY the moment that the move was taking place to make the call. Not to mention he had the BEST view possible of when the kid came out of NF criteria and was not obstructed. And he made the correct call in my opinion.

I don't think it is as obvious a 2 NF as the poster would have you believe. It's easy for armchair officials to not agree with a call and post it on-line and complain a wrong call was made, but in the instant the action is taking place would they be able to make the same call??? We'll never know.

Very good analysis and explanation.