Originally Posted By: kstater
I just can't think of an injury that would heal in an hour or day that would leave the wrestler unable to complete the match.

A can assure you that there are many injuries that are "minor" but nonetheless serious enough to be a real disadvantage if you choose to continue in that match. I've seen it happen many times, and I've had it happen to me. A slam is a perfect example. It can knock the wind out of you to the extent that you just aren't going to be same after a two minute rest. A poke in the eye could do the same thing. An illegal cross face resulting in a bloody nose. An illegal arm bar that tweeks the arm a bit. None are going to keep you out all day, but to be forced to continue in that match puts you at a disadvantage. The offending wrestler should not be able to take advantage of his illegal act.

There is always an option for the injured wrestler to forfeit the match before the 2 minutes of recovery time expires and give the match back to the kid that just committed the foul. I've seen that happen a few times over the years. An obviously superior wrestler commits and infraction that causes an injury against an opponent who will not advance further, either because of the injury or lack of skill and the coach forfeits the match rather than letting his wrestler take the win. That is the opposite approach, apparently, of those that are claiming coaches are telling their kid to take a dive. I've not seen that happen, but don't doubt that it does.