I can appreciate the question but wouldn't consider wrestling folkstyle a waste of time. Then again I don't believe wrestling the Olympic styles or even beach wrestling is a waste of time for those that mainly wrestle folkstyle.
I U.S. has had many world/olympic medalist that had mostly wrestled folkstyle. Wrestling is wrestling and being on the mat makes a wrestler better.

To answer your question, in regards to getting it changed...looking at the primary obstacles for having the girls season be "freestyle":

1) Availability of current high school coaches that understand, know how to and are willing to coach freestyle. From the amount of high school coaches I've seen participate in the Olympic styles over the summer, this is a big challenge.

2) Availability of freestyle officials across the state. This is yet another resource that is in short supply...far worse than those proficient in folkstyle. I know several that spend their high school season officiating college women matches.

These are the top two obstacles in my mind which lead to additional difficulties:

a) Logistics of having two wrestling styles in the practice room. Kind of forces separate practices or practice facilities.

b) Separate coaches for each team? Many/most teams still don't have gender specific coaching.

c) Tournament logistics of having two styles at the same tournament thus requiring additional officials / cost. If separate, one-style tournaments you have coach logistic challenges as well as costs associated.

Figuring out the way around/through the obstacles and getting the Athletic directors across the state on board is, in my opinion, the way to get it changed.

Believe me, I'd love to see them wrestle freestyle (I prefer freestyle overall) and when I originally drafted the KSHSAA proposal it was something that I seriously considered. I chose to focus on and promote the way that I felt would allow it to get sanctioned the fastest; with the least resistance/obstacles. In the mean time, tell them to get out and wrestle freestyle over the summer and better yet have them let me know if they are interested in being a part of Team Kansas!

Joe Knecht
(913) 709-9875