I would like to make a nomination. There is a fellow that continues to impress me with all he does for the sport. He has done so much over the years, and in the short time I have been in Kansas I don’t believe he has received the recognition for the things he has done that he deserves. I am speaking of Skip Harrington. He continues to help coach the Derby Kids Club and the Central Kansas Freestyle/Greco teams. Skip is always giving to the kids, whether on his team or not. I seldom see anyone get as much favorable response with high school wrestlers from across the state as does Skip. I think it is because he is there to help and has a genuine love for the sport, and Kansas Wrestling. There are many within the Kansas wrestling community whom are now coaching that was coached by Skip in one capacity or another. He was a part of the development of Freestyle/Greco Wrestling in Kansas. I’ll be honest here, to me it is a shame he is not in the Kansas Wrestling Hall of Fame yet, and I would hope that he would experience this honor at some point. I'll never forget hearing Coach Knox telling his wrestlers and coaches one time, to always make sure they listen to Skip when he goes to help them out, "He's forgotten more than most people in wrestling will ever know." Charlie told them. Anyone around Skip, knows that is true.

Skip travels all across the country to help the kids and be with them, all at his own expense, which is based on a limited income. When it comes to making sacrifices for the sport, he has done so. He has coached and maintained USA Membership over the years and continues to maintain that membership even though he is not a young spring chicken anymore, (even though, I still wouldn’t want to tangle with him). If looking at how “wrestlers” respect an individual is an indication as to the respect of that individual, Skip has to be one of the most respected men in our state and he has maintained that for a long time. You might even say, that he has endured the long run and passed the test of time. I don’t take that so much from what people have told me about Skip, but from what I have observed about him. Of course I have heard a lot of positive, and frankly, he is as humble as anyone I know. Skip is a wonderful man with a wonderful family. I personally think it is time Kansas Wrestling recognizes him for the contributions he has made over the long haul to this sport, and to this state.