I received the following message from Bob Dey in support of Beth Johnson for the USAWKS Female Wrestler of the Year:

Quote:

It has been brought to my attention that Beth Johnson has been nominated for 2006 Woman Wrestler of the Year. Just to be nominated is quite an honor for this young lady. However in all fairness it would seem fitting to give you and any others who might be involved in deciding who is the Woman Wrestler of the year some of Beth's accomplishments for that year.

Since she is so young, it would seem that what she has accomplished to this date is only the tip of the iceberg, and perhaps even greater accomplishments are in her future. Therefore it would be prudent to overlook what she has done to present. But to not acknowledge what she has accomplished to this date would not be fair to Beth and all the other young women who are trying to follow in her footsteps. We all know that fame is fleeting, and fate can turn a life on a dime, so it is only right that she be judged on what her accomplishments were, and not on what they might become. Her 2006 list of achievements include:

Beth Johnson: Age 16; (17 in June, 2006).
Sophomore: Garden City High School.
GPA 3.85
Member of Upward Bound/Trio program with Garden City Community College
Member GCHS choir; Acupela Choir.
Member JV wrestler for GCHS.
Assists with GC YMCA kid wrestling program as Asst. Coach.

Defending Ks. Women's Wrestling State Champion (2nd year as HS champion)
Missouri Valley Collage Junior/Cadet Champion
Runner-up National USWGA (Detroit) placer (Folkstyle)
Runner-up USAW Body Bar Championships (Colorado Springs) Freestyle
4th place finisher National HS Championships (Fargo) Freestyle
Invited to attend and practiced with US Women's Olympic team in Colorado Springs (3x)
Invited and practiced with US Women's team Chula Vista, Calif.
Curretnly Ranked #1 in 2007 USWGA ranking.

Thank you for allowing me to post Beth's accomplishments. I, of course, have known her for a number of years, and I feel proud that her name has been given such recognition. It is well deserved.

Bob Dey
former Kids Coach GC YMCA.

Runner-up National